Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

di2

Options
  • 27-12-2017 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I'm having problems with my di2 at the moment.the battery doesn't hold it's charge as long as it should.ive replaced the battery but to no effect.any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Have you updated the firmware ?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

No I haven't.wouldnt know where to start.

If you have a windows laptop it’s handy enough, you use the cable from the charging unit to connect to the laptop.

Worth doing that to it first as brings everything up to the top level.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/application/?lang=en

Have looked up YouTube but nothing showing for di2 6700

I’d go the firmware upgrade route - is all the kit 6700?

• Advertisement

Yes it is.ultegra.

Well if all 6700 I’d upgrade the firmware, and see from there as that’s the first thing a shop will do for you if you bring it in.

Worth a read - saying check connectors and update firmware:
    http://road.cc/content/forum/177231-di2-battery-issues

Cheers jamesed for advice.might just leave it in to a bike shop.havent a clue about uploads or firmware.thanks anyhow.

No bother - let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

bazzamac wrote: »
    Cheers jamesed for advice.might just leave it in to a bike shop.havent a clue about uploads or firmware.thanks anyhow.

if you get one of these you can update your software etc when you like using your phone

https://www.bike24.com/p2164034.html

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I had somthing like this with my old bike on 2012 Di2 Ultegra. Charged it one evening, it was flat the next morning. Recharged it for a little while that morning (while waiting in my gear, all ready to head out), and it was flat again later that day. Full recharge that evening and flat next morning. Just wouldn't hold a charge.
    Happened randomly for no reason, one day, out of the blue...nothing changed, nothing done, just a regular day.

anyways, brought it to Cyclesuperstore and they updated the firmware - checked round for lose cables or whatever, but said they found nothing. The firmware was the only thing they did, and it fixed the issue. Never had it again.
    I can't see how a firmware update would resolve this to be honest (like, soft/firmware doesn't 'wear out' or become fatigued or whatever), but it's all they did and it worked :), so...yay!
    Hasn't happened with my newer Di2 (2016 bike) but if I had an issue I'd drop it in to get an update first. Think it's about 20eur - as you'd probably only have it done once in the bikes' lifetime, then I'd see it as better than buying a unit and the bikeshop will have it done in notime for ye

I was in touch with Harry's Bikes.very nice lad told me that they don't do the firmware upgrade on the 6700 but pointed me in the direction of cyclesuper.ill give them a buzz tmro.get the feeling I'm f**ked and might have to upgrade to a newer system.fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lismuse

I advise you to read up on the implications of upgrading the software on 6770 di2. There is loads of stuff on Google.
    First of all you need to identify if you have all 6770 parts in your bike. The parts to be concerned about are the front and rear derailleur and the battery.
    Secondly you need to establish if the software has already been updated or not. Before the update you could mix and match parts without issue.
    If you are running a mixture of 6770 and 6870 parts they may be put beyond use by a software update which is not reversible !!! You would then be forced to go 11 speed by buying all the necessary parts such as front and rear derailleur, battery, cassette and chain ! A lot of money .
    You need to establish what parts you have first by connecting to Shimano software that is not connected to live internet !! If it is live it will update automatically and you could be screwed.
    Otoh if what you have is a faulty component it may be cheaper to source one on eBay and stay 10 speed.
    You could try to identify the fault by disconnecting one at a time and see if your battery holds charge.
    This issue is often caused by dampness and would be an easy fix if that's all that's wrong.
    Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

^^ This above would be reason enough for me to never bother going to Di2, eTap etc.........

Or I can't afford it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a horrendous oversight in design if something like that can render it useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Weepsie wrote: »
    ^^ This above would be reason enough for me to never bother going to Di2, eTap etc.........

Or I can't afford it.

Yeah, but it's lovely when it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lismuse

that's a horrendous oversight in design if something like that can render it useless.[/quote

Just to clarify .... it would be useless to your existing 10 speed di2 setup.... But would become compatible to an 11 speed setup.... when you then buy the other 11speed parts.
    No more really than going 11 speed with Shimano renders your 10 speed parts incompatible .
    10 speed 6770 di2 is great and can be kept working fine if you don't upgrade the software and continue to replace faulty parts with 11 speed parts OR second hand 10 speed parts from EBay (There aren't any new 10 speed di2 parts available anymore).
    If you go into a bike shop and ask for a diagnostic without knowing what parts are on your bike you could be facing a large bill. I'm sure the shop might not mind as they get to sell you the new bits.
    This may sound complicated but it isn't really. Just familiarise yourself with the protocol beforehand.

Quick update.left the bike into cyclesuperstore this am.they said they could do it.get my baby back tmro.fingers crossed

bazzamac wrote: »
    Quick update.left the bike into cyclesuperstore this am.they said they could do it.get my baby back tmro.fingers crossed

Any update since?

• Advertisement
Advertisement