Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanner installation gone wrong

Options
  • 27-12-2017 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

I think I did something the wrong way...
    Recently I had a new PC done at a lab. After a few weeks I have decided to re-install some a couple of external devices, a printer and a scanner. I started with the scanner, but I think I did something wrong. I connected and turned on the scanner BEFORE installing the driver and software from the CD. I knew that there's something to be done BEFORE and something to be done AFTER, but I never remember the right sequence.
    Now, it says that he can't find the scanner, and I think it's because I reversed the sequence. I unistalled all the software, but probably I should to remove the driver as well, and I don't know if it is advisable and don't know how to do that.
    I also found out that on the manufacturer's website there are updated versions of the software. So I downloaded and tried with the new ones, same thing.
    My previous PC was a Win7 32 bit, now it's Win10 64 bit.
    The scanner is an Epson V550.
    What should I do to re-install it properly? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

When you go into scanners in the control panel is there any mention if the Epson there? If so right click and uninstall. Then start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hi mordeith, thanks for your reply.
    I cannot find any scanner in my control panel, I browsed every category in the menu. I can find the printer only.
    What I rember is that I plugged the USB cable into the device, then I turned it on. The message bottom right on the monitor said "looking for driver", then it said "the device is now ready for use", so I assumed that everything was right.
    Then I put the CD in the drive and started with the installation, some new icons appeared on the desktop, I double clicked on "Epson Scan" and the message was "Impossible to communicate with the scanner. Please check if it's turned on, properly connected and that no errors are present. For further info please refer to the Troubleshooting section in User Manual".
    Well, in the user guide there is nothing about this error, probably it is unusual.
    Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hi aligator_am,
    Thanks for your effort and time!!! I do appreciate it!
    Well, I read that link, and I decided to do a mix of what explained in those replies. I called the Epson customer centre, the guy at the other end of the phone has been extremely kind and helpful.
    He had me try some different solutions, but in the end the thing that worked fine was the installation of the utility for Win 8.1 64 bit.
    He asked to disable my antivirus (Avast Free) and Windows Defender Firewall for the time necessary to the setup.
    Now it is working fine.
    So I used most of what was advised in that link, I disabled the firewall and antivirus, installed an older version of the software and called the support.
    Many many thanks!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Hi aligator_am,
    Thanks for your effort and time!!! I do appreciate it!
    Well, I read that link, and I decided to do a mix of what explained in those replies. I called the Epson customer centre, the guy at the other end of the phone has been extremely kind and helpful.
    He had me try some different solutions, but in the end the thing that worked fine was the installation of the utility for Win 8.1 64 bit.
    He asked to disable my antivirus (Avast Free) and Windows Defender Firewall for the time necessary to the setup.
    Now it is working fine.
    So I used most of what was advised in that link, I disabled the firewall and antivirus, installed an older version of the software and called the support.
    Many many thanks!!! :)

No worries, glad it's sorted for you now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement