Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoning mobiles in the UK

Options
  • 27-12-2017 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

Please move this if you can think of somewhere more appropriate.

What's the cheapest option for calling UK mobiles either via phone services or online like Skype ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

WhatsApp or Viber do for me to the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Over the top services like Srameen mentioned are effectively free (data costs only) and simple enough for most. However if someone isn't using them, SkypeOut is probably cheapest without digging through calling card providers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We use WhatsApp on phones or Skype on computer/Xbox. Granted we're paying for the broadband but the calls themselves are completely free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am specifically meaning calls to mobile numbers that don't have viber, WhatsApp etc.

Discodog wrote: »
    I am specifically meaning calls to mobile numbers that don't have viber, WhatsApp etc.

Skype is 2 cent per minute which seems good value

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Ask them to download WhatsApp or viber so you can call them for free?

Ask them to download WhatsApp or viber so you can call them for free?

They would be business calls so I can't

They would be business calls so I can't

Oh I see.
    How many calls per week do you need to make? Most networks have an add on that you can pay x amount for a number of international minutes per month, it varies per network and by prepay/bill pay but that could be an option for you?

SkypeOut is almost certainly the winner then - there may be a calling card but they all run the risk of using ancient time division lines still which sound massively unprofessional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Check here for comparisons of VOIP providers rates.

Depending on the number it can be as low as 0.5 cent per minute. Check that they are regular mobiles, there seems to be 070 numbers that are categorized differently and cost more to call.

The Skype payg rates here say 9 cent a min, rising to over 10 cent a min in Jan 2018 and there's a connection fee too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Does EU roaming not apply? ie. free calls to EU mobiles? I have a payg with Three and have free calls/texts within EU.

Does EU roaming not apply? ie. free calls to EU mobiles? I have a payg with Three and have free calls/texts within EU.

Three prepay give free texts to EU mobiles and three numbers but not unlimited calls to any network in the EU according to this link?

http://www.three.ie/eshop/phone-plans/prepay/

When you're in Ireland with an Irish SIM it isn't roaming.

It becomes roaming outside of Ireland and it can make UK, or other, numbers free then due to how the rules are written.

Constant use of a UK SIM in Ireland will get it cut off; but if you have no need to keep a continuous return number it is an option,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Should've added that Lycamobile once-off 30 day bundles reduce it more
    €10 Europe Plus - 300 minutes - 0.33cpm
    €12 Intl Red - 800 minutes - 0.15cpm

Advertisement