Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chippy's using frozen chips.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    My local chipper uses fresh cut chips, unfrozen. We just wouldn't accept otherwise. They make them in bulk. And freeze them and thaw them out as needed.

I'm having difficulty with this bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,460 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

McDonalds are frozen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

McDonalds are frozen

not a chipper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

'Proper chipper' chips are usually cooked a number of times - generally three - to get that traditional taste. No problem at all freezing after the second cook and finishing off in the fryer. For example, one of the most popular chains of chipper in Cork does all that prep in an industrial estate in Wilton, before shipping out to the chippers themselves for the final cook straight from the freezer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are they Lidl's frozen chips? They're cheaper than buying spuds!

Doesn't Burdocks use fresh chips

Chips have never tasted the same anyway since the beef dripping was dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

fritzelly wrote: »
    Are they Lidl's frozen chips? They're cheaper than buying spuds!

Doesn't Burdocks use fresh chips

Chips have never tasted the same anyway since the beef dripping was dropped

Some chippers must be using it still. This company supplies 10 Kg units of beef dripping. I notice that their main potato variety for chipping is Markies.

http://www.chipshopcatering.ie/potatoes/

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Was shopping in town before Xmas and driving home stopped off at a little chipper in Harolds cross . Think it was a mizzoni directly across from Peggy Kelly’s pub

They were the nicest bag of chips I’ve tasted in a long time .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Fish wife in Cork has the best in Ireland.Probably the best fast food place i've had food from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

McDonalds are frozen

Mcdonalds is just mcdonalds though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Some chippers must be using it still. This company supplies 10 Kg units of beef dripping. I notice that their main potato variety for chipping is Markies.

Mmmmm beef dripping sandwiches
    https://www.lovefood.com/news/59035/is-dripping-better-than-olive-oil-in-the-kitchen

May return as a delicacy the way spare ribs used to be for the dog and are now a luxury

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

RasTa wrote: »
    No chipper in Dublin sells a small bag of chips for over €3 anyway.

Small? ...bag? What's all this? I thought they only came in one size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I've never got chips from a chipper in Dublin that werent proper chips, once or twice down the country from chipper vans in smaller towns Ive gotten frozen and it made me very sad. Oddly though if I get a curry from a Chinese I'd be disgusted if they were normal chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Small? ...bag? What's all this? I thought they only came in one size.

My local chipper does a large bag and a half bag as well as normal size. think its 2.70, 3.50 and 1.50 or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Calm your tits lads, they're most likely pre cut unfrozen chips. Nobody has time or man power to be peeling potatoes and getting them ready for the chipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Calm your tits lads, they're most likely pre cut unfrozen chips. Nobody has time or man power to be peeling potatoes and getting them ready for the chipper.

Somebody must have the time. But if they are all pre cut what are these bags of spuds for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Somebody must have the time. But if they are all pre cut what are these bags of spuds for?

Dunno about Dublin but in Limerick it was Pallas foods that supplied these pre cut chips. I know that alot of the chippers around get them from this company but theres probably one or two of the older ones that might have their own chip cutting machines? Any place I worked in got the pre cut ones. Theyre not frozen and have a very short shelf life and take ages to cook, you couldnt freeze them and you couldnt order them on the hop, you had to give them loads of notice of how many youd need, so cut to order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Why are you referring to it as a "Chippy"? Are you from the UK?

I think you got something on your shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

There are machines that can take the skin off a potato these days, I be surprised if a chipper in Ireland using real potatoes didn't use one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I ordered chips and onion rings from a chip shop a while ago and both of them tasted like something you'd get from the Tesco frozen food section. Frozen chips are bad enough but frozen onion rings are absolutely vile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Patww79 wrote: »
    A British chippers.

It's ok though. Most of ours are Italians!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well, people are gone awful fussy altogether. When I was growing up in Galway, it was frozen chips all round. McDonagh's in town was the 1st place I saw non-freezer chips, and I was in my 20s by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Apparently he's been using them ever since he moved to Italy and they only used frozen chips in Turin. Now he wouldn't go back to fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fish and chips on the menu for me later. Johnny Walkers, Mayors Walk, Waterford. Best chips ever. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Creative83 wrote: »
    Why are you referring to it as a "Chippy"? Are you from the UK?

I'm still wondering what possession belonging to the "Chippy" is frozen as he says "Chippy's" instead of "chippies".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I'd love to go to Italy to taste the real chipper food, where it must come from originally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

hawkelady wrote: »
    Where because I'm calling bs. A bag of chips in a chipper in Dublin costs between €2.60/2.80 a bag.

I don't know, my local place charges €2.90 so €3 and above isn't exactly a wild stretch of the imagination depending on where the OP happens to be.

I'd love to go to Italy to taste the real chipper food, where it must come from originally
    It actually does come from Italian immigrants, originally in the Welsh mines I think it was before spreading out to the rest of the UK and to Ireland. Something to do with the locals not wanting their traditional Italian food, so the immigrants figured out what the locals did like and built around that.

That's a vague memory off the odd post about it I've read here so could be off, but it was kind of interesting since I always was confused over what was 'Italian' about chippers in the first place.

Gonad wrote: »
    Was shopping in town before Xmas and driving home stopped off at a little chipper in Harolds cross . Think it was a mizzoni directly across from Peggy Kelly’s pub

They were the nicest bag of chips I’ve tasted in a long time .
    I'm not a big fan of chipper chips... but have got off the bus specifically to get these before more than once! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The vast majority of chippers around my local area are quite disgusting, I only know of one that actually serves decent chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Yep. Born and spent my first 20 years in Manchester. I will always call a place that sells chips a chippy. Chipper is just wrong. In good old blighty, if someone is "chipper", they're in good form, they're happy. "I'm feeling really chipper today".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

dominos were caught bulk buying frozen asda wedges...but sure a lot of the side orders in those places are glorifed freezer food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Oven chips are nicer. Deep fried chips are for oafs.

blueser wrote: »
    Yep. Born and spent my first 20 years in Manchester. I will always call a place that sells chips a chippy. Chipper is just wrong. In good old blighty, if someone is "chipper", they're in good form, they're happy. "I'm feeling really chipper today".

Yes, but there is a difference between "chipper" and "a chipper". Adverbs and nouns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

salmocab wrote: »
    I've never got chips from a chipper in Dublin that werent proper chips, once or twice down the country from chipper vans in smaller towns Ive gotten frozen and it made me very sad. Oddly though if I get a curry from a Chinese I'd be disgusted if they were normal chips.
    Proper chips wouldn't work in a Chinese take away context. Both have their place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Sounds like the kind of desperate mantra a Weight Watchers lifer clings on to.

Sounds like the kind of desperate mantra a Weight Watchers lifer clings on to.

Chuckle chuckle.

Nope.

Proper chips wouldn't work in a Chinese take away context. Both have their place.

A good chinese should not have chips of any description on their menus.

It's very hard to find a good Chinese in Europe let alone Ireland anyway but chips are just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

murpho999 wrote: »
    A good chinese should not have chips of any description on their menus.

It's very hard to find a good Chinese in Europe let alone Ireland anyway but chips are just wrong.

Ah here, a Chinese is the only place that does a proper 3 in 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Sometimes frozen are best. My local does an amazing bacon and cheese fries with frozen chips. They use fresh chips for everything else.
    Ordered them Stephen's Day and they came with fresh chips, must have ran out of frozen. They weren’t nearly as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

McCains blue bag are perfection with a small bit of Aromat.

Aldi Crinkle Cut in the black bag a close second

Advertisement