Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSLR switch to Mirrorless

• 27-12-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭

I've used Nikon for a good few years now and have got together a decent set of lenses. 18-55mm Kit VR, Nikkor DX 70-300 VR, Sigma 10-20, Samyang 8mm, Nikkor DX 35mm, Sigma 105mm Macro all on a Nikon D7200.

I've been considering switching to a mirrorless camera for a while. I'm a hobbyist photographer, but also have three kids so when I take my gear out its a lot of extra weight.

Also, whenever I switch cameras I do it by trading or selling on my older model.

So, basically, I'm starting to wonder if it's time to switch to one of the newer mirrorless camera systems. Has anyone made the switch? Were you happy, or are there any regrets?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

fixxxer wrote: »
    I've used Nikon for a good few years now and have got together a decent set of lenses. 18-55mm Kit VR, Nikkor DX 70-300 VR, Sigma 10-20, Samyang 8mm, Nikkor DX 35mm, Sigma 105mm Macro all on a Nikon D7200.

I've been considering switching to a mirrorless camera for a while. I'm a hobbyist photographer, but also have three kids so when I take my gear out its a lot of extra weight.

Also, whenever I switch cameras I do it by trading or selling on my older model.

So, basically, I'm starting to wonder if it's time to switch to one of the newer mirrorless camera systems. Has anyone made the switch? Were you happy, or are there any regrets?

Hey, someone else will probably chip in with opinions on Sony (which I do hear is a great system) but I'm on the Fuji train myself...

I've been a Nikon shooter for years... as an enthusiast. I've gone pro in the last three years and in that time I've moved entirely over to mirrorless. Specifically the X-T2 and X100F... as well as several Fuji lens. I've never looked back. The X100F is my go to camera and it's so light and versatile and powerful. The EVF is a thing of beauty and completely changed how I shoot. The old mantra is true that new gear doesn't make you a better photographer but switching to Fuji certainly reinvigorated my style of photography. Aside from a sensor that produces stunning quality images, the EVF (as I mentioned) just changed how I shoot and the light weight and small size makes it much easier to be discreet. Regrets? None.

For personal stuff too, I've a 1 year old. The X100F keeps up plenty and I wouldn't have another camera over it.

Oh also, Fuji are good for trade in bonuses. You should be able to get some extra €€€ off the cost of a new body/lens with your trade ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The X-T2 would be out of my range I think. I was looking at more the X-T20. Mostly I take Long exposure landscapes, street, and a lot of family stuff theses days with the kids. The only issue I would have is that while the camera body is fantastic, the XC lenses wouldn't be up to the standard of ones I'm using at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

+1 on the x100f. I sold all my nikon gear bar my f100. I took a few shots at my cousins wedding there in mixed light and they came out really well. Having access to settings via knobs on the camera is great instead of clicking through menus. And as said above, the viewfinder is exceptional and great for reviewing shots. No more stopping and looking down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

fixxxer wrote: »
    The X-T2 would be out of my range I think. I was looking at more the X-T20. Mostly I take Long exposure landscapes, street, and a lot of family stuff theses days with the kids. The only issue I would have is that while the camera body is fantastic, the XC lenses wouldn't be up to the standard of ones I'm using at the moment.

Not sure which lens you currently use but the x lens quality is superb. 23mm 1.4 is an outstanding piece of glass.

Advertisement