Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Frame Wax

Options
  • 28-12-2017 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Anyone use wax on their frame? I have a matte black frame and it needs a bit of TLC. Reading a few threads and MucOff Uber Wax is recommended but expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

A Japanese fella showed me a great technique, went something like 'wax on..' can't remember the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I've used car wax to polish up my frame. Comes up a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

meercat wrote: »
    I've used car wax to polish up my frame. Comes up a treat.

OP has a matte black finish so presumably doesn't want a shiney black finish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I use MucOff Matt Finish Detailer. The first couple of times I noticed no difference because I was using it wrong. I just sprayed it on and wiped it off. Then I copped on - you do what you would with polish. Spray it on, wipe it to spread it around then rub it in vigorously. It does make a difference and the bike looks great after it.

Don’t use wax for glossy finishes on matt paintwork. Matt paint is rough by design and gloss wax will be left behind, caught in the rough finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Anyone use wax on their frame? I have a matte black frame and it needs a bit of TLC. Reading a few threads and MucOff Uber Wax is recommended but expensive.

Muc-Off Miracle shine, costs around €15 and has carnauba wax in it...etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Muc-Off Miracle shine, costs around €15 and has carnauba wax in it...etc.

I'm not sure, that this would be much good to preserve the matt finish on a carbon bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this was on GCN a couple of weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Thanks for replies, not too worried if I don't preserve matt finish. What I would like i to make it harder for grit to stick. Had read somewhere that a highly polished frame will make grit that bit harder to attach itself. I got Simoniz which is a type of wax with carnauba.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Don’t use wax for glossy finishes on matt paintwork. Matt paint is rough by design and gloss wax will be left behind, caught in the rough finish.

This doesn't appear to be the case so far for me.

Where did you pick up the Mucoff Matt Finish Detailer? Ah, looks like CRC do it. Thanks.

• Advertisement

this was on GCN a couple of weeks back.

Just watched that video and it pretty much follws the advice mentioned previously. Don't use carnauba wax, use the humble babywipe and a spray. Will go with the Mucoff so. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Where did you pick up the Mucoff Matt Finish Detailer?

I got it from Chain Reaction. I reckon one bottle will last years as only one of my bikes has a matt finish.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/muc-off-matt-finish-detailer/rp-prod149772

Advertisement