Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does "Fillet of cheddar" mean?

Options
  • 28-12-2017 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

From the old Kilmeaden cheese commercial?

You could call it... the Fillet of cheddar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Someone handy with a sharp knife on a block of cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Target market - Dunces that don't really know what a fillet or filleting is.

Risk market - People that know what a fillet is and cringe or raise an eyebrow.

Standard marked - price aware people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Marketing nonsense basically.

Fillet steak is perceived as the best cut of steak. Therefore using it to advertise cheese implies the best cheeese,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Outside crusty bits scraped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Someone has used these little pincers and removed all the little bones from it so you won't be in danger of choking?

Tbf, I never really understood that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's just notions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

spurious wrote: »

You seem to be the only one who paid attention! That is basically what the very dubious claim was/is.
    For over 50 years, Kilmeaden has honoured one very important promise: to select the best and do away with the rest. It's what makes Kilmeaden the "Fillet of Cheddar'.

The ads had them chopping down a large block until they were left with only a small block. The ads used to say "you could call it the fillet of cheddar", i.e. that it was in a way analogous to butchering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Butchering the english language more likely.

(in fairness it is nice cheese!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

That was Mick Lally doing the ad....and look what happened to him...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chasbanner

Ok. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

rubadub wrote: »
    The ads had them chopping down a large block until they were left with only a small block. The ads used to say "you could call it the fillet of cheddar", i.e. that it was in a way analogous to butchering.

I thought filleting was removing the flesh from the bone. At least that's what I was told it was when I did a fish filleting course.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

A metaphor? Fillet may be considered the best cut of meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

spurious wrote: »

They're the best bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Years ago the cheese would have been made in large cloth wrapped rounds, (with A dry crusty outside layer, and cracks running through it), so it may have needed a lot of trimming to have it ready for sale. By the time that ad was made the cheese would have been in made in huge square blocks, and matured in plastic vac packs bags, so very little waste (and feic all flavours).

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Has Kilmeaden cheddar even been made in Kilmeaden in yonks ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

vicwatson wrote:
    Has Kilmeaden cheddar even been made in Kilmeaden in yonks ??
    Well the factory in kilmeadan is gone with 10, 15 years at least... (maybe more)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement