Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap pubs in Dublin City Centre ?

Options
  • 28-12-2017 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Guys, is anybody aware of pubs that sell Orchard Thieves, Kopparberg, Stella Cidre etc relatively cheaply ?

I am already aware of Diceys, O'Reillys. Thus any other suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Any suggestions appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Offo

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Waiting for Wetherspoons...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Portobello serves pints for 4 euros up to 10pm, is there anywhere else like that in the city ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Theres a good few places that serve bavaria/tuborg/fosters for 3.50-4.50€ a pint - woolshed, hophouse on parnell st, few more dodgy spots round parnell/cathal brugha st

Shanahans in the coombe, 4.20 a guinness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres a pub on Stephen Street which is exceptionally cheap but most cheap pubs sell a small core range and definitely won't have the posher ciders

L1011 wrote: »
    Theres a pub on Stephen Street which is exceptionally cheap but most cheap pubs sell a small core range and definitely won't have the posher ciders

What's the name of that pub ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

P Mac's, Hairy Lemon, Capitol, The Snug???

Passenger wrote: »
    P Mac's, Hairy Lemon, Capitol, The Snug???

The first 3 aren't cheap...Hairy Lemon one of the most expensive boozers in Dublin

Anybody else get any other suggestions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

whiz wrote: »
    The first 3 aren't cheap...Hairy Lemon one of the most expensive boozers in Dublin

I know. That's why I was asking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The Snug. Turn right after The Long Hall. In there a few doors on the left.
    Used to be very cheap pints but it's about 2 years since I've been in.

Cool anybody got any other suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

yabadabado wrote: »

Full of real Dubs.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Full of real Dubs.

Full of every sort of specimen. The cheap gargle attracts all sorts.

yabadabado wrote: »

Its still extremely cheap but it has about 6 taps.

Was under 4 quid for a lager when I was in there, was cheaper than the Sunset House even which had been my previous non-'spoons baseline.

Was under 4 quid for a lager when I was in there, was cheaper than the Sunset House even which had been my previous non-'spoons baseline.

Yeah they won't have any drink on tap except the few usual suspects.

Where is Sunset House ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

van_beano wrote: »

Thanks, anybody got any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I know of one that sold for 3,000,000 during the boom.
    You'd pick it up now for 750,000.....

van_beano wrote: »

It's not the worst spot. Often drank in it, bit rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bulmers used to be cheap and associated with scumbags. It then became fairly expensive and went under a fancy advertising facelift, 2l flagans disappeared and it's now popular. I think other cider makers are trying to follow the same model, make it far more expensive than it should be and people will buy it. Bulmers, even in an off licence or supermarket never seems to go down much in price even during promotions or sales. In order to keep this business model, it can almost never be cheap. So good luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Cienciano wrote: »
    Bulmers used to be cheap and associated with scumbags. It then became fairly expensive and went under a fancy advertising facelift, 2l flagans disappeared and it's now popular. I think other cider makers are trying to follow the same model, make it far more expensive than it should be and people will buy it. Bulmers, even in an off licence or supermarket never seems to go down much in price even during promotions or sales. In order to keep this business model, it can almost never be cheap. So good luck in your search.

The above is incorrect.The reason cider is expensive is because excise duty on cider is way higher than on beer.It has nothing to do with Bulmers themselves.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/alcohol-products-tax.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

O'Reillys underneath Tara St. Dart station is good and is always a bit cheaper than most places. Was doing €3.50 pints not so long ago, well after the recession anyway. Popular with Students and foreign tourists so you can still assume its a bit cheaper.

The above is incorrect.The reason cider is expensive is because excise duty on cider is way higher than on beer.It has nothing to do with Bulmers themselves.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/alcohol-products-tax.aspx

All thanks to moral panic about teen drinking. Used to be either equal to or lower than beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

whiz wrote: »
    Portobello serves pints for 4 euros up to 10pm, is there anywhere else like that in the city ?

Went a few weeks ago for the rugby,
    €4 Pints and €2 minerals, I'll go back. Thought it would have been busier since the beer is so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    O'Reillys underneath Tara St. Dart station is good and is always a bit cheaper than most places. Was doing €3.50 pints not so long ago, well after the recession anyway. Popular with Students and foreign tourists so you can still assume its a bit cheaper.

I never liked the pints in O'Reillys they tasted watered down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Peader Kearneys Dame St

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    Peader Kearneys Dame St

A fine pub but nothing cheap about it iirc.

Advertisement