Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a second hand property – how do I ensure that it is not affected by pyrite

Options
  • 28-12-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, I’m in the process of buying a second hand property that was built in 2004. I’ve done internet searches on the estate to see if there has ever been a pyrite issue and nothing has come up on the internet.

But I want to be sure before I purchase the property. Someone has suggested that I ask for a green cert. I’ve arranged for a surveyor to look at the property. Should I ask him to see if there is a green cert, or should I ask my solicitor about this.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 crkcvnirl

Hi,
    Would suggest you have your solicitor ask that question in writing. Have the surveyor check plans and the property. Email the EA the same question.

If you have any concerns no matter how small, do not touch the property.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

You can ask for a "green certificate" from the sellers/sellers auctioneer. This certificate shows compliance for approved non pyrite backfill being used in the construction of the property.

I would strongly suggest asking for this and any information they may have on the original developer so you can look into if any problems from that end.

Also if you go ahead with getting a successful bid, get yourself a good survey engineer, generally for a pre purchase survey it is €300-€500 inc vat, very worth while investment, even if u loose that amount it could save you a major headache down the line. Saved me and my fiancee problems with a house we were able to back out of sale from before it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

It depends on if the development is in an affected estate. Get a structural survey done and ensure the surveyor/engineer knows what the typical visual indicators are for the presence of Pyrite. If it is there it will be pretty obvious. Its all very well asking for a cert to say the property has no Pyrite but who is going to pay for this? The vendor probably won't

As for Green cert-this is no longer used. The property now gets classified as at risk, low risk or no risk ( 4 separate categories based on stone infll sample testing and an engineers visual inspection) as per NSAI 398-1 2017

Advertisement