Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 219

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Many people staying up to watch this tonight? Looks a decent card on paper anyway. And with it being 'Christmas' and all that, I suppose it would be rude not to stay up for it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Barboza via Submission
    Why is the hooker diakiese fight so high up? Ive no idea who hooker is and D lost his last fight did he not!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Khabib via wheel kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Khabib via Decision
    Beersmith wrote: »
    Why is the hooker diakiese fight so high up? Ive no idea who hooker is and D lost his last fight did he not!
    Presumably to showcase Diakiese next to Khabib and Barboza?

Think the card is grand but nothing special. If you look at the corresponding one last year, it was miles better, although that's obviously with the benefit of viewing the Garbrandt and Nunes performances in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

It was meant to be a prelim but didn't Usman v Meek fall through with Meek's visa issues so it got moved up then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Barboza via Submission
    kwestfan08 wrote: »
    It was meant to be a prelim but didn't Usman v Meek fall through with Meek's visa issues so it got moved up then.

Yeah but higher than condit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

UFC used to put on a good New Years card. This one is average at best. Without Khabib it’s pretty much relying on cyborg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Khabib via Submission
    Decent enough main card. Some great potential scraps. Looking forward to it tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yeah but higher than condit!

UFC regularly put a big name at the beginning of the main card to kick things off. There are no prelims that I feel are more worthy of a main card spot, plus Usman v Meek and Lineker v Rivera both got cancelled in the last few days. I have no qualms whatsoever with it.

Calvillo is going to look a tit if she doesn't win after all her Billy big bollocks talk on embedded. It wasn't too long ago Esparza was #1 ranked female straw weight in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Barboza via Submission
    How do you all see the Cyborg v Holm fight going?

John Kavanagh sees Holm winning in 3. I think Cyborg will be too much for Holm. But maybe I am putting too much faith in Cyborg!

Khabib and Barboza could be a cracker. Very dangerous for Khabib. I can see Khabib getting KOed!

JK says Khabib will stop Barboza in the later rounds. I see it the opposite but I am not an MMA coach!!

I am defintely staying up for this card anyway!

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    UFC used to put on a good New Years card. This one is average at best. Without Khabib it’s pretty much relying on cyborg.

They did the best they could in fairness. Nobody else was available and fight per fight the main card is a cracker. I can't think of any other champions that were ready and willing to go to fight tonight. Can't be easy convincing people to sacrifice Christmas and Thanksgiving!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Khabib via Decision
    2 okayish fights. it's a poor card by past end of year standards. still, it's the holidays so will watch it.

Khabib via Decision
    cyborg round 2 TKO.
    Barboza KO round 3.

I see lots of people saying Barboza by KO and that's understandable. I think Khabib will win myself, via smash, but I think Barboza will find it really hard to put Khabib away. I actually think Barbozas only way to win is by decision, eating up Kgabibs legs and nullifying his grappling.

Khabib via Decision
    khabib is very open to strikes. he will be knocked out by a competent striker very soon imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Had planned staying awake but I'm fading already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,913 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Barboza via Submission
    froog wrote: »
    khabib is very open to strikes. he will be knocked out by a competent striker very soon imo.

he did well to get past the first against mj, if he doesn't get barb down in the first I think he could be finished but also feel that when he feels those leg kicks he'll be looking to take him down asap

The problem is nobody get's away when khabib gets a hold of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Khabib via Submission
    What channel are we on tonight folks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

14murphy wrote: »
    What channel are we on tonight folks ?

BT1. Main card starting at 3 am

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Khabib via Decision
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

For people saying it's not a 'great card'. At the end of the days it's UFC, a fight is a fight. Always has the potential to be very very exciting so let's hope it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Khabib via Decision
    This post has been deleted.

Barboza via Submission
    Why do I always laugh when I think of Joey Diaz saying Khalabeeb if he is watching tonight?!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Barboza via KO/TKO
    Love Elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Khabib via Submission
    Why do I always laugh when I think of Joey Diaz saying Khalabeeb if he is watching tonight?!! :pac:

The gum flying from his mouth:D:D

Khabib via Decision

Because he has a standing in the MMA world that is disproportionate to his profile, intelligence, comedic abilities, capacity to construct a coherent sentence etc etc etc

Barboza via Submission
    Smolka is really getting hit a lot tonight.

Now a sub attempt by Nicolau as I type

Khabib via Decision
    Yeah that's gonna be a 10-8. Smolka had nothing in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Barboza via KO/TKO
    10-7 id say under the new scoring id say, some digs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Barboza via Submission
    Enjoying this one, good start :)

Advertisement