Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog dirt.

• 28-12-2017 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

I find that the footpath in Maugheraboy / strandhill Road area is covered with dog dirt lately, it's worse than ever. It's a minefield walking with children, especially on the way to school. Are other reasons in town the same? I haven't noticed anything in town centre. Is there anything that can be done!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

I've always found those streets to be covered in it, it's partly because they are popular walking routes in the evening too.

Not sure anything can be done about it really. You see signs about saying there'll be a penalty/fine but in all seriousness has anyone ever witnessed someone getting stopped/fined for not picking up? You hardly see the cops about, never mind a litter warden. If you confront someone about it they get aggressive (how dare you tell them what they should do)

Maybe it's just a cultural thing here where people have too much pride that they can't be seen stooping down to bag their pets faeces. I've witnessed the complete opposite in the states where they're very strict about it and will certainly fine you. The times I have seen someone bag it I usually think "that's a responsible owner" and not "oh god they're picking up s**t".

There is another problem and it's the lack of bins around the area too. There's probably only 1 bin on that entire loop of road and that might be around Centra if there even is a bin at all? People don't want to be carrying a bag of crap the whole way around either, but that's really not an excuse to not pick up at all.

As bad as the streets are, it's much worse out in Strandhill along the beach and the Killaspugbrone walk. S**ters paradise for dogs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

No there aren't bins Hombre. Bin at centra long gone too. It seems shops are tiring of people getting rid of household refuse in them, don't blame them!
    I do regularly see neighbours out walking and picking up after their dogs.

I agree, the walks at strandhill are terrible for dog dirt. I have actually given up walking out at strandhill with the children, bad enough to be walking and stand in it myself, but to be looking out for three children and constantly asking hem to be careful, look out for this piece of ****e and that piece of ****e takes the good out of it.

I do regularly see council workers (I assume they are?) out picking up rubbish with a stick in the morning along Maugheraboy. In fairness there is very little litter along there, even with the showgrounds nearby it is well kept. Are they not allowed /responsible for picking up dog dirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

The only way this situation will change, is if people start getting hit with fines. It's a shame really..

job seeker wrote: »
    The only way this situation will change, is if people start getting hit with fines. It's a shame really..

True but how on earth do they monitor for fines etc? Unless they are going to start installing cctv every where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

job seeker wrote: »

Fines or the **** deposited back in their letterbox.

• Advertisement

Fines or the **** deposited back in their letterbox.

Believe me if I knew who was doing it I would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Believe me if I knew who was doing it I would!

I find myself pretty much walking with the head down permanently looking on the ground for ****e to avoid, to be fair I would say 80% plus of dog owners take care of the dirt, the rest though are a bloody disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not in Sligo but I am a dog walker I do clean up after my dog but have noticed over the years that there seem to be less and less bins in parks and along walking trails, I know its not an excuse but it does need to be made easier for people to do the right thing. I often end up driving home with a bag of crap in the car and its a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm not from Sligo either but why not highlight this publicly?
    Send a letter to the regional newspaper or phone the local radio station.
    If people get the hint that others are disgusted and on their radar watching out for them they might cop on.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Rosses Point in the Summer, dog sh!t in the grass when walking down from the car park to the small beach.

:mad:

• Advertisement

I'm not from Sligo either but why not highlight this publicly?
    Send a letter to the regional newspaper or phone the local radio station.
    If people get the hint that others are disgusted and on their radar watching out for them they might cop on.
    Yes I may compose a strongly worded letter. Just wondering if others felt the same first or if anyone had any knowledge of council responsibility etc

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Rosses Point in the Summer, dog sh!t in the grass when walking down from the car park to the small beach.

:mad:

So frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

True but how on earth do they monitor for fines etc? Unless they are going to start installing cctv every where.

Oh I totally agree.

salmocab wrote: »
    Not in Sligo but I am a dog walker I do clean up after my dog but have noticed over the years that there seem to be less and less bins in parks and along walking trails, I know its not an excuse but it does need to be made easier for people to do the right thing. I often end up driving home with a bag of crap in the car and its a pain.

I agree and in fairness the majority of dog owners are responsible and do clean up after themselves. It's just the few that don't which make it a mess for everyone else.

The lack of public bins really doesn't help, and again it's the few people who abuse public bins by stuffing them with their own household rubbish that's probably the cause of so few being available. It's why we can't have nice things in this country, unless they are bolted down and covered in cctv. :(

• The Co-Co really needs a dog warden to slap fines on offenders.

There have been a few voluntary community groups that have set up free bags and refuse bins service. (eg: Strandhill).

But out walking yesterday, I came across 3 dog poop bags that were full but had just been tied up and thrown across the dunes. This is a common problem and I cant find any logic or excuse for it. It seems you cant win.

Dog Warden and Fines seem the only option.

The Co-Co really needs a dog warden to slap fines on offenders.

There have been a few voluntary community groups that have set up free bags and refuse bins service. (eg: Strandhill).

But out walking yesterday, I came across 3 dog poop bags that were full but had just been tied up and thrown across the dunes. This is a common problem and I cant find any logic or excuse for it. It seems you cant win.

Dog Warden and Fines seem the only option.
    I agree. Poop in the bag left out is just as bad!

Someone must have taken advice from the thread or is listening
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/01/24/complaints-about-extent-of-dog-fouling-in-parts-of-sligo/

Better than nothing to highlight it but we all know nothing will change.

Someone must have taken advice from the thread or is listening
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/01/24/complaints-about-extent-of-dog-fouling-in-parts-of-sligo/

Better than nothing to highlight it but we all know nothing will change.
    Good that it has been highlighted but what are they going to do about it?

Advertisement