Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying gun parts online illegal?

Options
  • 28-12-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

Is it illegal to buy gun parts from online to build your own gun in Ireland?

Just curious?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

cena wrote: »

Just curious?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’d imagine so. Don’t think there’s a way to get a license for a gun that you don’t have lined up, and doesn’t have a serial number.

What you can buy online, is spare parts for a gun that you already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Just curious?

They'd have to come thru customs...and unless you're registered to keep firearms I'd say you could be in trouble ..
    But, g'wan anyway and let us know how you get on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How about 3d printing one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

i didn't think it would hold up compared to steel/metal guns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Once you have something that comes under the definition of a firearm, whether you imported it in pieces, 3d printed it or got it form Santa, you need a license.

Once you have something that comes under the definition of a firearm, whether you imported it in pieces, 3d printed it or got it form Santa, you need a license.

so If you have a license for hunting etc your may be covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

they are doing this already, you can break it down into several different parts and print them off and assemble later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Go to the hunting/shooting forum and they'll be able to answer you regarding the law.

Recently skimmed across a thread there about a user importing a barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: I'm moving this to the Shooting forum where answers would be more accurate. Please note new forum rules before you reply, please.

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

You need an import license to import firearm components. Plenty of good gunsmiths in Ireland they'll build you a gun because not all gun calibres and actions can be licensed e.g. Restricted.
    I would guess even talk of 3D printing a firearm is a good way off having your doors kicked in by ERU😂.
    Best bet head on in to dealer an try license something he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

so If you have a license for hunting etc your may be covered

Nope. No matter what paperwork you have regarding hunting, it doesn't cover the firearm. You need a licence for each firearm you possess.

It's even stricter than that, if you have any part of a gun, even a spring or a screw, they are considered firearms so you must have a licence for whatever gun they are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

You can build a gun around a already licenced firearm. For example the Ruger 10/22 is generally bought as standard and then parts are upgraded with Kidd etc. What you cannot do is build a unlicenced firearm.

I would be guessing an AR15 would not be something you could use here. Private use at a range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Hack12 wrote: »
    You can build a gun around a already licenced firearm. For example the Ruger 10/22 is generally bought as standard and then parts are upgraded with Kidd etc. What you cannot do is build a unlicenced firearm.

I believe bolt/screw on parts yes, but anything involving the cutting of metal is a no-no, probably in the law at the behest of the gundealers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

I would be guessing an AR15 would not be something you could use here. Private use at a range

Yes you can own one (restricted licence) you wont get one as a first rifle
    AR-15s would be one of the simpler firearms to make(many parts available)

Become an restricted firearms dealer then afaik you could make a many as you like
    So get a premises that meets security requirements
    strongroom(old bank vault doors are what i have seen the most with at least 9 inches of reinforced concrete for the walls),cameras,monitored alarm and whatever else they ask for

1. Dealer in Ammunition only

This is registration to deal in the sale and purchase of ammunition for shotguns, unrifled airguns and rifled firearms of a calibre not exceeding .22 inches only. The fee for registration is €75 for 3 years. See steps below for more information on registering.

2. Dealer in Firearms and Ammunition
    This is a general registration to deal in all non-restricted firearms. This category would include paintball operators. The fee is €1,000 for 3 years. See steps below for more information on registering.

3. Authorisation to Trade in Restricted Firearms
    You must first be registered as a dealer in firearms and ammunition before you can apply for authorisation to deal in restricted firearms. The fee is €500 for 3 years.

Youll need all three of these and you must be at least 21
    Spend a few years working as a apprentice in gunsmithing you'll probably have to go abroad for this (you'll become familiar with the ol nicholsen file at this point)
    now you need machinist skills to make a AR-15 so take classes somewhere, or work somewhere engineering related, or teach yourself plenty of vids online(you'd be surprised what you can teach yourself)
    Buy a lathe a milling machine and lots and lots of other tools
    A long way round to a simple problem buy an AR and add whatever bits you want later
    In short its not worth the bother once you have once bought you can replace most of it with aftermarket parts the biggest problem youll have is getting the licence youll need a good reason and potentially a good lawyer to go to your local district court to get the rifle if your super decides "i dont like the look o dat"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

AR-15s would be one of the simpler firearms to make(many parts available)

Become an restricted firearms dealer then afaik you could make a many as you like
    So get a premises that meets security requirements
    strongroom(old bank vault doors are what i have seen the most with at least 9 inches of reinforced concrete for the walls),cameras,monitored alarm and whatever else they ask for

1. Dealer in Ammunition only

This is registration to deal in the sale and purchase of ammunition for shotguns, unrifled airguns and rifled firearms of a calibre not exceeding .22 inches only. The fee for registration is €75 for 3 years. See steps below for more information on registering.

2. Dealer in Firearms and Ammunition
    This is a general registration to deal in all non-restricted firearms. This category would include paintball operators. The fee is €1,000 for 3 years. See steps below for more information on registering.

3. Authorisation to Trade in Restricted Firearms
    You must first be registered as a dealer in firearms and ammunition before you can apply for authorisation to deal in restricted firearms. The fee is €500 for 3 years.

Youll need all three of these and you must be at least 21
    Spend a few years working as a apprentice in gunsmithing you'll probably have to go abroad for this (you'll become familiar with the ol nicholsen file at this point)
    now you need machinist skills to make a AR-15 so take classes somewhere, or work somewhere engineering related, or teach yourself plenty of vids online(you'd be surprised what you can teach yourself)
    Buy a lathe a milling machine and lots and lots of other tools
    A long way round to a simple problem buy an AR and add whatever bits you want later
    In short its not worth the bother once you have once bought you can replace most of it with aftermarket parts the biggest problem youll have is getting the licence youll need a good reason and potentially a good lawyer to go to your local district court to get the rifle if your super decides "i dont like the look o dat"

I very much doubt restricted firearms dealers are allowed to make AR 15's.

BattleCorp wrote: »

i thought they would, if their allowed to deal in them why not manufacture or at least assemble them?

Why not its licence-able they make good hunting rifles too, it was coyote hunters in the mid-west in the US that invented flat top AR-15. Colt had the sole patent so they produced them after seeing how good of an idea it was
    Dont get one for the novelty but if you have a real interest have a go trying to get one. The worst that can happen is you dont get the licence(and have to put that down on every fca1 you fill out for the rest of your life)

Why won't you get one as a first rifle ? If you had no gun licence here and you were invited to shoot boar in Germany or Buffalo in Africa, and wanted a 9.3 or .375 h&h (both restricted) to do so, thats good reason to be issued a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Once you have a legally held and licensed firearm here, you can hold as many spare bits for it as your hearts desire. Including PROBABLY a receiver.I say probably as the law on it is silent,it simply says "replacement parts".Now whether you go off and create a so -called "ghost gun" from them all is upon your head and please let us know when your court case is on ,if you are caught with one,so we have that point in Irish law clarified.:)

As the law stands YES they can..They could also manufacture ammunition as well if they so desired.It is an anomaly, that "gun dealers" can do this where technically a "gunsmith" cant here.They are 2 separate trades.Like a car salesman and a car mechanic.You are hardly going to have the salesman in the grease pit and the mechanic out on the showroom floor.But this is Ireland where we tend to do things bass ackwards with firearms laws and related..:rolleyes:
    As for making one..Well if you can assemble parts,you can put any modern Modern Sporting Rifle together.So no great feats of gunsmithing required..

You need an import license to import firearm components
    You already hold it..It's called your license. Where you need the import/export certs in the EU is for so-called "pressure bearing components"IE, barrel, bolt, bolt carrier group[in certain guns] and chamber. Everything else in the EU is considered an add-on as it doesn't contain the explosion of the shell.
    From the US, you can buy everything bar the Receiver.The US considers the receiver to be "the gun" in itself.

Plenty of good gunsmiths in Ireland they'll build you a gun because not all gun calibres and actions can be licensed e.g. Restricted.
    The first part of your statement can be a matter of opinion:).The second part, restricted does not mean cannot be licensed..it means" Have an extra good reason as to why you want it, and it is the only gun in the shop that will do the job for you."
    I would guess even talk of 3D printing a firearm is a good way off having your doors kicked in by ERU��.

Maybe when we have Judge Dredd running the AGS and live in an utter EUSSR "Minority Report" society...;):p.The idea of anyone sitting down and printing up a disposable all plastic 3D firearm is still a long way away.Three words Pressure, Bearing, Parts.IE Barrel, Bolt, Chamber, are still made from steel ASFIK. [Even Cody,the guy who made the 3D AR lower his "liberator" single shot pistol still needs a metal barrel insert ]

Maybe the CIA or the like has got some weird all plastic two shot .22 lr gun, but for the rest of us,3D plastic that can take continuously the explosion of a round in a chamber safely is a long way off...But as now, please feel free to discuss the engineering possibilities with 3d which includes firearms.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

gunny123 wrote: »
    Why won't you get one as a first rifle ? If you had no gun licence here and you were invited to shoot boar in Germany or Buffalo in Africa, and wanted a 9.3 or .375 h&h (both restricted) to do so, thats good reason to be issued a licence.

Indeed.Back in the day one of my friends got a 9mm Walther licensed as his first gun for target shooting.. Even I didn't think he'd get it...got it first try .So it can be done alright.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

gunny123 wrote: »
    I believe bolt/screw on parts yes, but anything involving the cutting of metal is a no-no, probably in the law at the behest of the gundealers here.

NOPE! That's the GERMAN definition of gunsmith work.Anything that requires high temp heat or creates metal spall, chips or dust is the rule of thumb. As gunsmithing isn't a guild trade here and a gun dealer can "work "on a gun here....[With the screwdriver, he just used to hang the shop door and used as a tyre lever an hour before by the look at some work done around here.:rolleyes:]
    So there is nothing stopping your gun dealer from handing your rifle to "Danny Joe Engineering, purveyors of fine cattle handling equipment and precision machine works! since 2015" to go and thread your rifle barrel,once they have finished threading 4in GB pipe for the cattle crush!:eek::eek:

We should be really pushing ourselves that this becomes law, that only qualified gunsmiths with a guild recognition can do that kind of work on firearms here.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    NOPE! That's the GERMAN definition of gunsmith work.Anything that requires high temp heat or creates metal spall, chips or dust is the rule of thumb. As gunsmithing isn't a guild trade here and a gun dealer can "work "on a gun here....[With the screwdriver, he just used to hang the shop door and used as a tyre lever an hour before by the look at some work done around here.:rolleyes:]
    So there is nothing stopping your gun dealer from handing your rifle to "Danny Joe Engineering, purveyors of fine cattle handling equipment and precision machine works! since 2015" to go and thread your rifle barrel,once they have finished threading 4in GB pipe for the cattle crush!:eek::eek:

We should be really pushing ourselves that this becomes law, that only qualified gunsmiths with a guild recognition can do that kind of work on firearms here.

I have seen some of these threading jobs where the bore is not even close to centered ,id say you'd have a decent baffle strike if you tried to fire it, and no face........
    Gunsmithing(the old gunmakers) died here unfortunately like Kavanagh & Sons
    and Rigby etc..
    It would be great t bring it back but why impose more laws give em an inch and theyll take a mile and all that it could go too far and F**k everything up

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Once you have a legally held and licensed firearm here, you can hold as many spare bits for it as your hearts desire. Including PROBABLY a receiver.I say probably as the law on it is silent,it simply says "replacement parts".
    There are somewhat more specific provisions for spare barrels in Annex E of the Commissioner's guidelines though, and between that directive from the Commissioner and the power granted by the mix of the incredibly loose definition of "firearm" in the Act and the offence of possession of an unlicensed firearm laid down in section 2, those provisions are a bit more solid than for other component parts.

As to manufacturing firearms, I seem to remember someone doing that as an RFD a decade or so ago; the law's just a wee bit fuzzy on the whole topic...

I have seen some of these threading jobs where the bore is not even close to centered ,id say you'd have a decent baffle strike if you tried to fire it, and no face........
    and Rigby etc..
    It would be great t bring it back but why impose more laws give em an inch and theyll take a mile and all that it could go too far and F**k everything up

Well for the simple reason of product liability ...You go and buy a "Joe Blow Gun dealer special " firearm here in Ireland,and lets say a month later, there is a tremendous explosion on the range, and you are standing there looking like Will E Coyote after one of his ACME devices failed to work, while the guy behind you is wearing your bolt in his forehead.
    After much forensic examination, it turns out your JB special had a barrel made from a bored out .22 LR, and it was shooting 220 swift, for argument's sake.
    So is whois ponying up for your and your buddies hospital and facial rebuild? Joe Blow gun dealer or his buddy Danny Joe jnr the cattle crush builder and part-time gunsmith who built this thing for him , under his specs?Because Joe had an idea for a gun,and shure it would be grand,an it worked for me.

Or would you rather go and have JB have to submit his design to someone who has a 5year apprenticeship from a country that has a tradition of gunsmithing and the gunsmith has the guild awarded cert and experience to say sorry "Joe this design and the materials are utter rubbish!"

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of gifted and experienced amateurs out there who have pulled off feats of gunsmithing that are 100% safe and qualified gunsmiths who have bodged up stuff as well. But in this day and age why shouldn't there be a licensed craftsman available to this kind of work with a grauntee he knows[mostly] what he is doing and you have some comeback under the law?

Sparks wrote: »

As to manufacturing firearms, I seem to remember someone doing that as an RFD a decade or so ago; the law's just a wee bit fuzzy on the whole topic...

Wasn't a fellow up in Galway? He was thinking of making .22 lr AR style rifles before the big cal ban came down in 06??But he was going out to bait the bull of Irish gun law anyway.Didn't really turn out pretty for him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wasn't a fellow up in Galway? He was thinking of making .22 lr AR style rifles before the big cal ban came down in 06??But he was going out to bait the bull of Irish gun law anyway.Didn't really turn out pretty for him either.

I was more thinking of a chap building single-shot fullbore target shooting rifles for F-class from raw stock. Stephen somebody? Can't recall the details.

Plenty of toolmakers and fitters that can build firearms. I worked in a cnc workshop for a while, but prefer manual machinery, absolutely nothing in a firearm of any type that could not be machined on even fairly aged cnc machinery. If you can model the part in something like solidworks or fusion 360, that program can generate the cnc g and m codes as you work, this can be transferred to the machine and its fairly easy after that.

• Advertisement

and Rigby etc..

They died for a reason, they handmade bespoke expensive shotguns when there was no money in the country (after the 1801 act of union). They could not compete with the Birmingham and liege gunmakers, and later when guns were mass produced cheaply it was all over for them. Rigby held on here in Dublin for years before selling out and moving to London permanantly.

Advertisement