Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Battery - Software or Hardware?

Options
  • 28-12-2017 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not a software problem. This happens when the battery is failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Apple have just announced that they will be replacing batteries for a reduced price of $29 until December 2018, following the slow down of old phones controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Patww79 wrote: »

Yeah from next year:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

adox wrote: »

Pardon my ignorance here Adox but does that mean if you have a 6S with a dying battery you'll be able to go into an authorised Apple Resller like https://www.compub.com/education/dundrum in Dundrum, give them your phone and they'll install a new battery for the equivalent of $29? If so is it likely to be something they can do on demand while you wait or will they have to ship it off and it'll take a few days/week or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Glad someone started this thread.

My November 2016 6s Plus has been (quite literally) eating battery for the last few weeks.

I really wonder is it software-update related and not battery-age related?

Prior to the last (or maybe second-last) OS update, I was getting comfortably two days from this phone. Now it’s a daily recharge.

I just can’t believe the battery has taken this sudden a nosedive.

Also, the % drops are not single increments, but in twos and threes.

Given the bad Press Apple has been having lately, nothing would surprise me.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

You say 6 but If it’s in fact a 6s then the battery is often free to change.

Apple have a page on their site where you enter your serial number to check if they will do it for free.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Doubt it will apply in the eu, apple will probably only do it in counties where they are in lawsuits about the battery

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

billbond4 wrote: »
    Doubt it will apply in the eu, apple will probably only do it in counties where they are in lawsuits about the battery

Nope, it's worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Nope, it's worldwide.

Is the price quoted for the battery only or for the battery + installation?

Not clear from report I read.

Cerco wrote: »
    Is the price quoted for the battery only or for the battery + installation?

Not clear from report I read.

Battery and installation, they don't provide the battery on its own. Shipping is extra. About €10 I think.

You'll probably just get a refurbished replacement phone rather than your own phone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Battery and installation, they don't provide the battery on its own. Shipping is extra. About €10 I think.

You'll probably just get a refurbished replacement phone rather than your own phone back.

It has to be sent off?? I was hoping to get it done over the counter in CompuB

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It has to be sent off?? I was hoping to get it done over the counter in CompuB

Didn’t think compuB did any servicing/repairing on iOS devices. Thought it was just macs

Didn’t think compuB did any servicing/repairing on iOS devices. Thought it was just macs

CompuB in Galway is an authorised iOS device service centre, for sure. I’ve had warranty work done on my iPhone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

CompuB in Galway is an authorised iOS device service centre, for sure. I’ve had warranty work done on my iPhone there.

Worth getting done on an iPhone 6?

And are you sure they did it there?

They'll definitely take it in alright but my understanding was that they just posted it to Apple for you.

• Advertisement

And are you sure they did it there?

They'll definitely take it in alright but my understanding was that they just posted it to Apple for you.

Given the turnaround time, they did more than just post it off. Had it been a case of them only posting it, I’d have posted it myself given the choice. I had a replacement handset (to be fair CompuB only ran a diagnostic and ordered a new phone) over the counter in under 48 hours. Doubt I’d have got it that fast, from first reporting to having new device in hand, if I had gone direct. For the second issue, they were able to diagnose and fix in under 24 hours from drop off to pick up.

Worth getting done on an iPhone 6?

If they can do it over the counter, I’ll get it done. €29 to give an almost 3 year old phone a new lease of life is a no brainer compared to the cost of upgrading.

I did the following to my iPhone 6S Plus...

1. Allowed the battery to fully drain. (I used the torch to finish it off.)
    2. After a few minutes, I plugged it in to recharge.
    3. When it reached 100%, I let it continue charging for about half-an-hour.
    4. With the phone still plugged in, I reset it by holding in the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously until the the phone shut down and the Apple symbol reappeared. I then released the buttons.
    5. Finally, I turned off Background App Refresh in Settings/General.

It’s been running like new for the last two days.

Worth a try before sending it off for a new battery.

D.

Ps. I’ll never change this phone unless I lose it. The headphone socket (or lack of) was a deal-breaker for me. I use external mics when shooting video.

Pps. Never charge your phone overnight. Quickest way to shorten the life of a battery. You should always try to drain a battery completely, and then charge it for only as long as necessary to bring it back to 100%. Good battery management.

Just a couple of points that I have found out in the past hour or so, based on a chat with Apple Support and a member of staff at CompuB in Galway:

1. CompuB *will* honour the reduced cost of battery replacement, and will do it over the counter (although it may take a day or two, apparently....I think the phone has to be left with them while they order a new battery from Apple. Still, probably a good bit faster than posting it directly). The staff member said that the big unknown is what the cost will be, as Apple have only confirmed US pricing so far. That brings me to.....

2. The Apple advisor I chatted to confirmed that the cost will be a straightforward currency conversion, and gave me an estimate of €24.10 based on today's exchange rate of $29. I queried this, as the current cost on the Apple Ireland website for an out of warranty battery replacement is €89, and so is obviously *not* a straight currency conversion of $79. The response to this was that the current offer addresses a specific issue and is not the same as a normal battery replacement, and that the cost in Euros will be a simple conversion of $29.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

I’ve seen it mentioned as being 29 dollars - 29 Euros or 24 pounds. But sorry no official links.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    I’ve seen it mentioned as being 29 dollars - 29 Euros or 24 pounds. But sorry no official links.

I have no official link either, but I do have a transcript of the chat as evidence! I think pricing for outside US will be published in the next week or so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Dinarius wrote: »

Pps. Never charge your phone overnight. Quickest way to shorten the life of a battery. You should always try to drain a battery completely, and then charge it for only as long as necessary to bring it back to 100%. Good battery management.

as far as I remember, that is not what you do with Lithium ion batteries, they should go down to 20% (I think). Constantly going flat is what shortens the life of them. Complete drain should only be used when calibrating the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Whiterebel is correct.
    You should not drain a lithium ion/lithium polymer battery device such as an IPhone as it can cause irreversible damage to the battery.
    That advice about draining the battery regularly was in relation to the older Nickel Metal Hydride battery tech that was the norm in phones about 20 years ago. These batteries tended to suffer from a memory effect which caused them to hold less and less charge of they were only given top up charges (e.g., if you tended to charge it when it was only half empty). The trick of draining them to 0 about once a month tended to improve their performance, hence this idea got into the public and unfortunately many still think this advice still applies to modern batteries.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/02/ask-ars-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery/
    One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent. In a way, this is like people running for exercise— running a few miles a day is fine, but running a marathon every day is generally not sustainable. If your Li-ion powered device is running out of juice on a daily basis, you're decreasing its overall useful lifespan, and should probably work some charging stations into your day or change your devices' settings so that it's not churning through its battery so quickly.

There used to be certain types of batteries whose "memory" of their total charge capacity seemed to get confused by shallow discharges. This is not, and never was, the case with Li-ion batteries. However, if you are using something like a notebook computer that gives you time estimates of how much longer the battery will last, this clock can be confused by shallow charging intervals. Most manufacturers recommend that you do a full discharge of the battery about once a month to help your device calibrate the time gauge.

One common misconception is that Li-ion batteries will only count charge cycles if the battery is drained completely in one session; another is that the battery counts one charge cycle for every instance the device is unplugged and plugged in again. Neither of these is true—Li-ion batteries actually count charge cycles based on a 100 percent discharge even when it's summed over multiple sessions. For example, if you discharge a battery to 50 percent one day, charge it back to 100 percent, then discharge it 50 percent again the next day, that is counted as one "cycle" of the battery. So shallow discharges, in all these regards, are ideal for a Li-ion battery.

https://www.howtogeek.com/169669/debunking-battery-life-myths-for-mobile-phones-tablets-and-laptops/
    Some of the big myths come from old battery technologies and are actively harmful when applied to new battery technologies. For example, nickel-based batteries needed to be fully discharged, while modern lithium batteries shouldn’t be fully discharged.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a15731/best-way-to-keep-li-ion-batteries-charged/
    That old saw about how you always need to charge you battery all the way up, and use it until it's dead? Memory effect, as it's called, affects NiMH batteries but it doesn't apply to your phone. In fact, you're phone's battery hates when you do that. Similarly, lithium-ion batteries don't need to be "calibrated" with a full charge and a full discharge when they're new.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ozmo wrote: »

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-battery-and-performance/

£25 listed on their UK page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

CompuB have confirmed their pricing and lead time.

https://twitter.com/compub/status/948566086898864129

Advertisement