Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Battery - Software or Hardware?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Went into compub swords with sons phone Saturday. They said there's a couple of weeks delay on battery now, that they would take details and phone you when battery available and then they would take the phone overnight and replace. They ran a diagnostic on the phone and said the fingerprint sensor wasn't original. That's true - it was replaced due to water damage. Then they said they would replace the battery for 29 euro but if anything went wrong as there are 3rd party parts in the phone they couldn't cover the cost and would have to pay for out of warranty replacement. We left it as don't want to risk being out the price of a phone. Are there any places that will just replace the battery and not care re other parts etc?

Thanks,
    Mick

all the Apple approved shops in Ireland are listed on apples site in a nice map so you can better find one near you there.
    There were also a few mentioned a few posts up.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

For those people who had a diagnostics carried out by apple what was the capacity of your battery. I was onto online chat just there now and got them to check my wifes iphone 6, it came back at 87% capacity now. While I was on to them, I asked them to carry out same diagnostics on my iphone 7 and that one also came back at 87%. i asked them how a nearly 3.5 year old phone and a phone 15 months old could report same results. The 6 was mine for 2 years and i gave it some usage to be honest. What he did tell me was if I wanted to, I could avail of the battery replacement program on my 7 as well as the 6, so for €29 i think I might just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Apple support wouldn't give me details of of the test results only that the battery did not need replacing.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Apple support wouldn't give me details of of the test results only that the battery did not need replacing.

Open up an online chat with them and they’ll do it for you and tell you what capacity your battery is when it’s full, according to the agent I spoke to, once it’s drops to 80% it’s totally knackered.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    For those people who had a diagnostics carried out by apple what was the capacity of your battery.

IPhone 6S - 1.5 years old + 316 Cycles of charge - no % just said battery was 'consumed'.
    Phone was running at 600Mhz constantly as opposed to intended 1800Mhz

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Open up an online chat with them and they’ll do it for you and tell you what capacity your battery is when it’s full, according to the agent I spoke to, once it’s drops to 80% it’s totally knackered.

The agent wouldn't tell me the capacity showing up in the diagnostics first, but she said it "passed". I had used an app to check it myself before getting in touch with Apple and it was showing about 74% capacity. When I pushed her for a number, she said it was between 70-80% capacity. So, obviously they think the "pass" capacity is lower than 80%.

I got it replaced for €29 anyway, and it's like a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭redzer

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I rang Apple Tech Support. They did a remote diagnostic and said the battery was "consumed" (!) They gave me a number of Authorised IOS Service Agents . CompuB quoted up to a week to replace. I rang Mactivate and they ordered in a battery. Rang me when the battery came in.I left the iPhone into them and the job was done in 45-50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Article from PC Mag re: Best Practices in Battery Care

Link:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Battery and installation, they don't provide the battery on its own. Shipping is extra. About €10 I think.

You'll probably just get a refurbished replacement phone rather than your own phone back.

That would make no sense. They will replace the battery only for that fee.

FourFourFM wrote: »

Doesn’t all right- but backup before sending is what’s on their website.
    I guess if they mess it up (it could happen) they are not responsible for your data if they have replace the whole phone.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

FourFourFM wrote: »

Whether it makes sense or not, it's pretty common for send-in repairs. My iPhone 6s had the faulty battery issue. They replaced the whole phone with a refurbished unit. Even outside warranty, Apple have been known to do the same in exchange for the battery replacement fee.

Now given the scale of replacements required for this issue, I'd imagine they will be keen to just replace the battery and return the same phone. But I still wouldn't assume you are going to get the same phone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

Seems like there are no replacement iPhone 6 batteries anywhere to be found in Dublin at the moment... Will have to wait until stocks catch up with the increased demand for replacement...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Have you tried http://www.mactivate.ie  - they had them in stock last week and were telling customers it only take 1hr to replace. However, given the recent shortages, I would call them up first to confirm if they have the batteries in stock.

Yeah, they are out of stock but can order them in...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Have you tried http://www.mactivate.ie  - they had them in stock last week and were telling customers it only take 1hr to replace. However, given the recent shortages, I would call them up first to confirm if they have the batteries in stock.

I called them they said 2 weeks to get stock of batteries for Iphone 6, they do have them for the 6s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

My 6s shuts down regularly at 40% and no notice
    It also decides to shut down if it’s too cold
    A frosty morning and it shuts down

Out for a hill walk and it dies
    You wouldn’t want to be in an emergency...

Rang Apple and the battery diagnostic said my battery was on the slightly lower side of ok
    The phone is 16 months old

Has apple gone to pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Apple have announced that iOS 11.3 will include the battery health monitor http://www.iclarified.com/64297/apple-announces-ios-113-with-battery-health-arkit-15-new-animoji-more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Beware booking battery replacement with CompuB through the Apple website
    I booked an appointment with CompuB Dundrum though Apple.ie. I went there at the appointed time thinking my battery would be replaced. I was told there that booking in advance means nothing, they are a 'walk-in' service and that they had no batteries. My details were taken and I will be emailed 'in about two weeks' to come in again.
    I wasted several hours backing up my phone and getting over to Dundrum. Afterwards I then had to restore my phone and put in all my App passwords again, even more time wasted. Very poor customer service from Apple, grrrrrrr

jpfahy wrote: »
    Beware booking battery replacement with CompuB through the Apple website
    ..., grrrrrrr

Yeah - I don't know why people keep mentioning them as if they were the only sellers. There are plenty other registered apple places out there that swop the battery while you wait. They can be found on the Apple website.

Going into town especially and then Not being able to buy a new unlocked IPhone from was what turned me off them.. they only sold network locked.

“Roll it back”

With battery demand as it is, supplies are low across all stores - Compub, Mactivate and iConnect. You need to order the battery, before you call in as they do not have them in stock to do on the spot...
    I called into CompuB last Saturday, ordered one, and was rang last night to say its now available, and have to leave phone in for 24 hours for replacement to be fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

jpfahy wrote: »
    My details were taken and I will be emailed 'in about two weeks' to come in again.

Same here, except I got a phone call later that day to say they got batteries in and to call in the next day. From the moment I first walked into the shop (the phone was then checked out and a battery put on order) to the moment I left the shop the next day with a new battery, was under 24 hours. I did not have to leave my phone with them, apart from 20 mins for the diagnostic and 30 mins for the replacement.

Don't be surprised if they contact you well before the two weeks they quoted....I suspect they're hedging their bets with that timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can only get new genuine batteries from Apple via a battery replacement. Any of the batteries you see on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter are either cheap Chinese knock-offs or rejuvenated genuine batteries (i.e. used). They are a lucky dip in terms of quality. Even the sellers don't really know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There are no brands. Sellers buy these things in batches from China or wherever. Like I said it's a lucky dip. Buy a few of them, they are only cheap, and hopefully one of them will be decent. I've often had to replace one within a few days of installing it because it was worse than the battery I took out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I got onto Apple last Thursday and after a test that claims that the battery is fine :rolleyes: I was offered the £25 battery option. I'll go with the Belfast option and make a social trip out of it for the day and load up on Belfast Baps while I'm at it :)

Advertisement