Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bodyguard - BBC One [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

This is getting worse with each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Basq wrote: »
    I'd be leaning towards that.. but with Jed Mercutio at the reins, who the hell knows..

One of the first rules of TV dramas: until you see a corpse, they're not dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

How ridiculous would it be at this stage to reveal that she is still alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Marje wrote: »
    Another packed full episode

Didn't expect Montague to die (or is she under protection and not dead)
    Who changed the bullets in Budd's gun
    MacDonald is definitely hiding something
    Thought Budd was trying to tell the female bomber to pick Mahmood picture

Would it be possible that Budd's Ex new man got his keys from her and changed the bullets???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Would it be possible that Budd's Ex new man got his keys from her and changed the bullets???

Don't think she has his keys - she was knocking on his door to get in. I think the keys he took were the keys to her house.

Re the blanks, the first time I saw it I thought that maybe the police had given him blanks when they assigned him the gun - we saw him pick it up. Though more likely someone did the swap in his house.

I don't think it was an accident he was assigned to her. The veteran/PTSD angle makes him ripe for being scapegoated.

I read a review that said with Hawes gone, we just don't know the remaining characters well enough to care strongly about who is scheming with who. I wouldn't go that far but I would like to see some of the side characters fleshed out more.

He is lucky to be alive as blanks can be fatal at very close range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'd venture to say not a lot of people know that.

Highly irresponsible that it wasn't mentioned by anyone in the episode too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Getting a "Fight Club" twist vibe from this. I fully expect Budd to be a Manchurian Candidate or something.

Think it's good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Khan wasn't in Star Trek into Darkness either.

He could easily be lying!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

steve_r wrote: »
    Don't think she has his keys - she was knocking on his door to get in. I think the keys he took were the keys to her house.

Re the blanks, the first time I saw it I thought that maybe the police had given him blanks when they assigned him the gun - we saw him pick it up. Though more likely someone did the swap in his house.

I don't think it was an accident he was assigned to her. The veteran/PTSD angle makes him ripe for being scapegoated.

I read a review that said with Hawes gone, we just don't know the remaining characters well enough to care strongly about who is scheming with who. I wouldn't go that far but I would like to see some of the side characters fleshed out more.

That wasn't his police issue gun. Its an illegal one he had stashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Heckler wrote: »
    That wasn't his police issue gun. Its an illegal one he had stashed.

Yes, you are right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Blanks also typically look totally different, with good reason.

Even racking it you'd see the top of the mag well and know its loaded with blanks. No way a counter terrorism guy like him would ever make that mistake, even in a fragile mental state.

But tis a tv show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Absolutly. Joh-Erik Hexum, 80's model and actor, star of US detective show Cover Up, shot himself dead in the head with a gun full of blanks thinking they would have no effect.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5555971/jon-erik-hexum-russian-roulette-heart-transplant-pimp-cover-up/

This tragedy was made all the worse because he was extremely good looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AllForIt wrote: »
    Absolutly. Joh-Erik Hexum, 80's model and actor, star of US detective show Cover Up, shot himself dead in the head with a gun full of blanks thinking they would have no effect.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5555971/jon-erik-hexum-russian-roulette-heart-transplant-pimp-cover-up/

This tragedy was made all the worse because he was extremely good looking.

So if he was a fat ugly guy it wouldn't have been as tragic?

Also Jon-Erik is one of the reasons I went to the library as a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

My wife and I have watched e1-4 over the last two nights. It’s a flipping brilliant show - the tension is class. The opening scene in e1 was one of the most enthralling 30 mins of television I’ve seen in years. Thought the scene with the truck hurtling towards the school in e2 was really intense too.

My mind is racing throughout each episode looking for twists and clues. Rewound scenes once or twice as we each think we’ve spotted something. I can’t wait for tomorrow’s episode and no doubt there’ll be a major cliffhanger with a buildup up to the final episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So if he was a fat ugly guy it wouldn't have been as tragic?

Exactly !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I wish Jed Mercurio hadn't wasted his time on this plot hole filled, derivative nonsense, and just given us the next series of Line of Duty, instead of waiting until next year.

Terrible characters, bad acting (note to Richard Madden: jaw muscle clenching is not indicative of screen presence) and a been there/ done that (and done better by US shows) feel throughout, Bodyguard is not a very good TV show.

sirmanga wrote: »
    I wish Jed Mercurio hadn't wasted his time on this plot hole filled, derivative nonsense, and just given us the next series of Line of Duty, instead of waiting until next year.

Terrible characters, bad acting (note to Richard Madden: jaw muscle clenching is not indicative of screen presence) and a been there/ done that (and done better by US shows) feel throughout, Bodyguard is not a very good TV show.

Why do you bother watching it so?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Why do you bother watching it so?

Oh sorry, I didn't realise this thread was just for people who had good things to say about the show.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise this thread was just for people who had good things to say about the show.

It's not, so no need to apologise.

I was just curious why you would value your time so little that you would watch something you don't enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AllForIt wrote: »
    Exactly !

What a shallow post!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Care to elaborate on the stuff in bold?

As to the acting, I thought Hawes's 'I'm an important Westminister type/take me seriously' accent was kinda unnecessary, but probably inevitable given the role. Her natural one would have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I learnt what a kompromat and eod are (google help me)

Not a lot happened really

I hope this hasn't a stupid ending after watching over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Things happening very quickly in that episode!

The 'previously' recap emphasised the Death Star reference with the picture of Montague and Cameron, but there was still a whiff of deux ex machina with Budd finding the tablet.

I missed the significance of the driver with Chanel - criminal links?

Deliberately didn't watch the preview for next week.

velo.2010 wrote: »

The 'previously' recap emphasised the Death Star reference with the picture of Montague and Cameron, but there was still a whiff of deux ex machina with Budd finding the tablet.

Not too sure about the driver yet or the criminal links - could he turn out to be Vicky's boyfriend?
    Strange they decided to show a preview for the last week and none for the other weeks. Didn't pick up anything really from it

EDIT: Just saw on Twitter, last episode will be 75 minutes long

EDIT: Thinking on it now I reckon Budd work colleague who grassed on him has something to do with whatever is going on. He told Budd he didn't see anyone at the door at the bombing and he's keeping an eye on Budd and got him suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I said as soon as Chanelle left the cafe, she'd get in a black range rover, and she did. Something shady going on while next week it appears Budd goes on a killing spree.

Anyone else find it strange there was no police presence on the back door of the Home Secretary's apartment block?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭trashcan

While I might not go that far, I would agree that it's no Line of Duty. I think it's been "ok", but to be honest I was drawn to it by the fact that it was Jed Mercurio, and I'm sticking with it, rather than waiting for the finale with any great anticipation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Its enjoyable hokum. I think Madden is very well suited to the role. Did anyone not notice the time stamps on the audio files he was listening to on his laptop ? 31-10-18 and dating back 29-10-18 etc. ? Sorry can't post an image but pause around 15.20.

Is it set in the future ?!!

Hard to see how its going to resolve itself with any credibility but I don't care. I wanna see Budd go kill everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

velo.2010 wrote: »

Was the driver that picked up chanel not at the veterans group?

Disclaimer-I might have imagined this...

It's nonsense really isn't it... But I am hooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

gmisk wrote: »
    Was the driver that picked up chanel not at the veterans group?

Disclaimer-I might have imagined this...

It's nonsense really isn't it... But I am hooked

Yes he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Jed Mercurio is on Newsnight at some stage tonight.

I suspect they might spend a decent part of the show on Brexit first

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1042878323041480704

totally ridiculous but good tension created in fairness.

when he was cutting that last wire.... !

p.s hated that actress who was the Sampson woman - head of the police - bizarre affected mannerisms in her portrayal.

and that last twist about the Nadia woman - totally off the wall.

Incredibly tense first hour but the last 15 minutes were all wrapped up too neatly.

Enjoyable series but I'd take LoD over it anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Found it fairly ridiculous how Nadia gave up the whole plan willingly at the first hint of pressure. That was just laughably bad.

They could have done without the extra time and cut out some of the bomb wearing part of the story.
    It was an ok of an ending. Was expecting more but I suppose it tidied up the story.

That was tense... But ridiculous.

I guessed
    That Mr brittas wife was the mole delighted!!! the twist with the female suicide bomber...stupid and not needed

I won't lie the trailer for line of duty Sent shivers down my spine!!!!

gmisk wrote: »
    I won't lie the trailer for line of duty Sent shivers down my spine!!!!
    Balls.. missed that!! :mad:

Since it's only filming, I'm assuming it was minimal just indicating a 2019 airdate.

• Advertisement

Balls.. missed that!! :mad:

Since it's only filming, I'm assuming it was minimal just indicating a 2019 airdate.
    Yeah it was after bodyguard... Lots of Ted lol... Showed nada really bar the main 3 and not back til 2019 zzz

Also, bodyguard isn't a patch on killing eve... Cracking show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I felt it was all wrapped up much too tidily and conveniently at the end. Some bits didn’t make much sense. What was the deal with that young lady who Budd drove (in her tasty BMW) to the house for that final confrontation? From that point on, they seemed to be in a rush to wrap it up and all the villains just queued up to confess!

Nice teaser for Line of Duty too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Thought the whole series was fantastic myself!

Really enjoyed it!

Although I didn't enjoy the series as a whole, I felt Mercurio redeemed himself by having Budd's female boss and a muslim woman be the main villains in the end.
    Quite the departure from the usual PC nonsense on TV. But then again, typical Mercurio.

After all, on Line of Duty, one of the best loved characters is a white man in his late 50s who is so unaware of PC culture that he was reprimanded for calling a black female colleague "darling."

So, great job by Mercurio in that regard.

But the ending of Bodyguard was so neatly wrapped up that I almost began to think it was all in Budd's head.

Having him drive off with his family, full of smiles; it could very well have been the end to an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. All they needed was for someone to make a cheesy joke, followed by a freeze frame of Budd laughing.

Although I didn't enjoy the series as a whole, I felt Mercurio redeemed himself by having Budd's female boss and a muslim woman be the main villains in the end.
    Quite the departure from the usual PC nonsense on TV. But then again, typical Mercurio.

After all, on Line of Duty, one of the best loved characters is a white man in his late 50s who is so unaware of PC culture that he was reprimanded for calling a black female colleague "darling."

So, great job by Mercurio in that regard.

But the ending of Bodyguard was so neatly wrapped up that I almost began to think it was all in Budd's head.

Having him drive off with his family, full of smiles; it could very well have been the end to an episode of Blue Bloods. All they needed was for someone to make a cheesy joke, followed by a freeze frame of Budd laughing.

More like the highlighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Woeful, last episode, it really lost its way after a solid start.
    The acting was really bad in parts too, almost as if they had to do reshoots and were out of time. The two cops, in the park were noticeably bad.

So many facepalm moments too. Walking through London with a bomb, the wife running towards him, the shouting at each other from 10 feet away.

The twist regarding the bomber was cheap too, I felt, especially given she was in hysterics at the beginning, she had no idea Budd would walk in.

The last 10 minutes being like something from Murder She Wrote all it was short was a quick "next time ... let's nip it in the bud", then guffaws and freeze frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

glasso wrote: »
    totally ridiculous but good tension created in fairness.

when he was cutting that last wire.... !

p.s hated that actress who was the Sampson woman - head of the police - bizarre affected mannerisms in her portrayal.

and that last twist about the Nadia woman - totally off the wall.

I agree. "We need to add gravitas to the role so she appears real , let's have her call everyone 'Sarge'".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Good start, dodgy middle, and poor ending.......

I was hoping the Budd family car was going to blow into smithereens in that final shot.

They moved Budd from an office building environment to a residential area, yeah that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Gina McKee is great. Pipe down lads

Mc Love wrote: »
    They moved Budd from an office building environment to a residential area, yeah that makes sense
    They wanted somewhere to place a helicopter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement