Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phase tester lights on screw for switch plate

Options
  • 28-12-2017 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I went to remove a light switch plate today and when my phase tester touched the screw it lit up. The fuse was off at the time. See pic attached.

I will get my electrician as soon as I can in the new year.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

OK. Upon some further investigation there appears to be a "leak" in the circuit for the next set of lights. If I knock off the trip switch for that set I no longer get light on my phase tester.

I take it the earth line in the switch is somehow connected to this other circuit.

Not great!

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Phase testers are not great indicators in electrical terms.

However, I would not expect one to light when in contact with a screw as in the photo. It could be that the screw has nicked a wire behind the switch, and/or the switch box is not earthed, if it is a steel box.

It is possible there are 2 separate circuits at a 2 gang switch.

Both lights from the two gang switch are dead when the single trip switch is off - is that what you mean by two circuits?

The circuit that caused the light in the tester to go off controls the light in the adjacent room and the boxes are almost back to back.

P.S. Stud wall and all the other back boxes I've opened to date have been metal and have had an earth wire in them.

More info:

The switch that's back to back also lights up when the screw is touched. No surprise I suppose.

But ... The other switch on the adjacent circuit, which is the far side of the next room also causes the tester to light up when I touch the screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

More info:

The switch that's back to back also lights up when the screw is touched. No surprise I suppose.

But ... The other switch on the adjacent circuit, which is the far side of the next room also causes the tester to light up when I touch the screw.

I would go with bruthals theory that the earth is not connected somewhere so. You may need a rec to resolve this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal is correct. Please take whatever a “phase tester” indicates with a very large pinch of salt. These devices should be banned outright as they can indicate that a live circuit is dead and vice versa.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The OP asked that I would thank those that contributed and say that he has arranged for an electrician to d al with this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement