Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV via HTPC?

Options
  • 28-12-2017 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

Have a HTPC setup running Kodi, used to use a separate "Dreambox" for TV but its **** itself and instead of buying a new one was wondering could I run the satellite input into the HTPC and use it for TV? If so I was wondering what would I need? A tv tuner card? I think I need DVB-S2 or DVB-T?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

EVanB wrote: »
    Hi,

Have a HTPC setup running Kodi, used to use a separate "Dreambox" for TV but its **** itself and instead of buying a new one was wondering could I run the satellite input into the HTPC and use it for TV? If so I was wondering what would I need? A tv tuner card? I think I need DVB-S2 or DVB-T?

Satellite feed from a dish to a DVB-S/2 tuner card for FTA satellite channels.
    Aerial feed to a DVB-T/2 tuner card for Saorview and/or Freeview channels (depending on location and aerial).

You then run Tvheadend (or equivalent) to manage the tuning, EPG etc, and to make the channels available on the LAN for any software that can make use of them (I use Kodi).

Check out the TBS range of cards; also Telestar Digibit R1 Sat to IP receiver and various cheap (<€10) usb DVB-T tuner dongles.
    The device running Tvheadend does not need to be powerful ........ I use a P4 Dual Core.

The benefit of such a system is that all users, regardless of device (Phone, Tablet, Laptop, PC, STB) get access to all channels available, up to the number of tuners in the system.
    You can operate a central storage for recordings and have them available to all users.

Quite a number of threads on the subject which should help you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had what you are looking for with my black gold satellite card but I just got bored with it. Worked perfect with Kodi but it was a much earlier build than current Kodi...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Slave1,

Close shave there...... your hesitation was justified. I'm letting your post stand because it could inform the OPs query, but for the record the only place for posting about your ads is in the General Section, as you know.

Apologies for the above finger-wagging, unwarranted and would not have occurred if I had read SouperComputer's comments in the Charter for the HTPC Forum /hangs head in shame........

Ritz

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sorry about that, I did read the forum charter before posting and it states you can plug an item for sale once in a thread.

Charter was 2006/2008 so probably do with re-wording.

Have edited my post now in any case.

Regards

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As well as the TBS cards that I use, Blackgold also produce good tuner cards.
    At the time I was very interested in the Blackgold products but decided against them on the basis that I would, in future, be limited to using only Windows as they did not release any drivers for other operating systems, unlike the TBS range.
    I am happy I did so as I now use LibreElec (a Linux OS for Kodi) and can use the TBS cards, but could not use the Blackgold cards if I had got those at the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement