Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long chain for locking bikes in shed

Options
  • 28-12-2017 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭

Wondering if people have suggestions where to buy a long chain to lock bikes in the shed. Im based in Dublin.

I have bought a good quality anchor, and big padlock, just don't have the chain yet.

I am thinking of either installing the anchor in the wall, and using the long chain to lock bith bikes; or else putting the anchor in the cement floor and letting individual bikes lock themselves to the chain.

Either way, I need a good quality reasonably long chain. Am looking to lock 2 bikes for the time being, the other bikes are of no real value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

I did something similar a few months ago. Was getting a shed put in and I got the builder to set the chain in the concrete base.

Bought a 4-5m chain off ebay. Irish company. I think it was about forty euro. Search galvanised chain on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I f you want serious chain these guys have it -
    http://www.chains.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

alarm the shed if possible and a good outside security light helps also

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

B & Q sell chains in various thicknesses cut to customers requirements.

Any agricultural sales type of places will also have them.

You should also consider a heavy duty cable. Easier to handle and less damaging to bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

You could use some inner tubes to prevent the chain marking the bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

B & Q sell chains in various thicknesses cut to customers requirements.
    When I was looking into this before, I think I read that if the normal assistants in a DIY shop can cut the chain, it's probably not that great.

Someone did post a link to ebay before for the chains - just can't find it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Obvious reminder. Don’t keep your own chain cutting tools (hacksaws etc) in full view in the shed beside your bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macy0161 wrote: »
    When I was looking into this before, I think I read that if the normal assistants in a DIY shop can cut the chain, it's probably not that great....
    They use a machine IIRC to cut the chains but point taken.

In saying that, a very thick long chain will be very heavy and totally unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Macy0161 wrote: »
    When I was looking into this before, I think I read that if the normal assistants in a DIY shop can cut the chain, it's probably not that great.

Someone did post a link to ebay before for the chains - just can't find it at the moment.

Yes if the shop assistant comes out with bolt cutters to cut the length of chain for you it may not be what you are looking for.
    If the assistant can cut it so can a well equipped thief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

If you're happy shopping at Amazon, I can recommend this beast

I have one securing 2 bikes with a ground anchor and container padlock. Plenty long enough, links are huge, should resist most bolt croppers, and it has a nylon outer jacket. Good, reassuring piece of kit.

Ships to Ireland, either +£6 for P&P or buy something else to make the order up to £25 and the whole order ships for free.

Advertisement