Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Dylan : Sat 30th PM / Sun 31st Dec 2017 AM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    You should never invite vampires into the house when the moon shines bright. Is your cat looking at you funny? there may be time to reconsider your decision, before its too late.

Out she goes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Like I said earlier, windy here, 10 miles from malin head. But just a breezy day for us.

I doubt its windier than you think.

The storm seems to have moved all of Buncrana. Last time I checked it was a lot further than 10 miles from Malin Head.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking at the latest reports, wind speeds and wind gusts seem very uniform across the country, averaging around 42 to 45 knots over the country as a whole, yet no real notable winds to be had?

437436.PNG

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Shedbebreezy

Surprising thing is Mace head has highest when it's a good deal South. 4 am reports will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Quite a strong breeze here in Meath! Not anything extraordinary but windy all the same... Can hear a few bins flying around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Some seriously sustained winds in Dublin 10 and strong gusts. Goes quiet for 10 minutes then comes back very strong. Feels like the roof is lifting. On a par with Ophelia when it's windy but nowhere near as constant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It's really picked up here in Dundalk, Co.Louth over the last 10 minutes

Finner Donegal highest gust at 0400 54 knots

Pretty much calm here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Been a very very windy night here in West Clare, I don't know if the lack of storms this year has lowered my expectations but tis far from a calm night out!

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It's really picked up here in Dundalk, Co.Louth over the last 10 minutes

Really wild in Blackrock all other than a lull just before when you posted.

Very few power outages. None in the North West. Been pretty quiet since my last post. Doubt anything above 40kmph

Malin head gust of 62 knots. I think that's a tie with Mace head from earlier. Getting a tad windier with me now but just like a normal wet and windy night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

South Donegal here. Blowing a gale with strong gusts but nothing close to the strengths forecasted. I think when the stats are in, this will be seen for what it is; a normal wind event in December. I have lived here for over 60 years and know my storms from my gales. This is definitely just a gale.

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    South Donegal here. Blowing a gale with strong gusts but nothing close to the strengths forecasted. I think when the stats are in, this will be seen for what it is; a normal wind event in December. I have lived here for over 60 years and know my storms from my gales. This is definitely just a gale.

Also in donegal and I can't disagree with this post, finner is on the coast and recorded 54 knots. The writing was on the wall when belmullet was recording such low gusts. On that note. The all nighter has come to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

06z Malin Head SW 47 G 65

that may be the peak gust of the storm.

Looks to me as though the peak winds stayed off the north coast until encountering far north of Donegal, may get some isolated damage reports from Inishowen.

Scotland's problem now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Any word from Limerick? ??
    Assuming the city got hammered....After all the new years eve party was called off..

I wonder should limerick close business on Tuesday just to be sure?!
    😅😅😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Here in Mid-Kerry it was quite blustery overnight, quite calm now... according to my station we got a high gust of 74.2kmh just after midnight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Any word from Limerick? ??
    Assuming the city got hammered....After all the new years eve party was called off..

I wonder should limerick close business on Tuesday just to be sure?!
    ��������

It was very windy earlier this morning between 12 midnight and 2 am. It was fairly quiet since near Limerick. About the curtailment of the fireworks for this evening in Limerick. It was called off for fear of flooding along the banks of the Shannon due to high tides and poor weather. At the moment I don't see any weather problems for this evening. I presume fireworks take several days to set up and flooding could upset the rockets. It would have force the operators to work under horrendous conditions. There would be a high flow rate through the city due to recent rainfall. The fireworks have been rescheduled to St. Patrick's weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Gale force winds up in Malin head this morning.nothing out of the ordinary for up here. Think the scaremongering about these storms with fancy name's is a joke myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What did we peak at overnight guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

113 according to met afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gale force winds up in Malin head this morning.nothing out of the ordinary for up here. Think the scaremongering about these storms with fancy name's is a joke myself.

The core of severe, damaging winds stayed offshore. Although it must be said, the models handled this very poorly until yesterday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

124 km/h at Malin Head

https://twitter.com/meteireann/status/947376378973913089

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

nice white horses out by Poolbeg this morning , didnt make it all the way out to the lighthouse as there were swells coming over the wall, nice and bright though, blue sky all the way

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lots of red faces in Limerick for cancelling an event TONIGHT because of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Max gust was at Malin Head, 67 knots / 124 km/h. Standard for there. In Northern Ireland the max gust was 51 knots at Magilligan 2 (just outside Derry). Sligo Airport ended up with 43 knots at 0400Z. I don't have Donegal Airport's max gust.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/947376378973913089

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

a peak of 85km/h here just before 1am lastnight here in mid-west Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Not trying to ME bash at all but IMO the warnings up until last night were highly inaccurate.
    Another powerful system with a big northerly shift as it approaches Ireland. Most models get that wrong and regularly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The ICON was way over the top with this one with its 160 kph at Belmullet. It's not the best when it comes to storm events

Advertisement