Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New vs Used Bikes, Gear and any tips?

• 28-12-2017 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey guys.

I'm taking a theory test for motorcycles (A category) in April, and looking through a plan I could afford a new Kawasaki Ninja 250SL by June (4,750 EUR), before taking into account paying for IBTs and insurance, motor tax, etc.

The plan was to do IBTs somewhere in September or October in 2018 when I can comfortably do and pay for all the above and then some. But I was wondering if it is worth getting a used bike like the one mentioned above? How do used bikes effect insurance rates and would it become significantly more expensive to insure than if I bought a new one? Would used or new be the better alternative in your experience?

And if I were to go for a new one, is it worth taking out a loan from the AIB to pay for it sooner or would it be better to pay the whole lump sum in one go? Is taking out a loan for a motorbike a good or bad idea, generally?

And as for gear, I'm looking at several places for protective clothing and I was wondering if there are any shops in and around Dublin that would sell a whole kit in one price (tabard, armored jacket, gloves, boots, etc) instead of paying for bits and pieces separately?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

Used bikes are less expensive to insure than new ones. It generally comes down to the replacement cost. I wouldn't buy a new bike as my first bike because chances are you're going to drop it. Also remember you can't ride a bike on the road until you do IBT.

There are a number of shops in Dublin that'll kit you out fully and do you a solid for getting all your stuff there. I know that Megabikes, Bikeworld and Cotters will generally do that (although you should make your own mind up where treats you best, I've had huge differences in experiences in the above places to others).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Seabhac14

Used bikes are less expensive to insure than new ones. It generally comes down to the replacement cost. I wouldn't buy a new bike as my first bike because chances are you're going to drop it. Also remember you can't ride a bike on the road until you do IBT.

There are a number of shops in Dublin that'll kit you out fully and do you a solid for getting all your stuff there. I know that Megabikes, Bikeworld and Cotters will generally do that (although you should make your own mind up where treats you best, I've had huge differences in experiences in the above places to others).

Hey man, thanks for your advice. A used one will probably take a little pressure off of me this year for sure. And yes, the plan was to buy a bike sometime after my IBT and driving test (should I pass all those).

I'd like to ask out of curiosity, are there any particular reasons why used motorcycles are cheaper to insure? And are there any precautions I should take when buying a used one?

From the gear sellers you listed which one would you recommend particularly? I like the look of Megabikes, and XL Moto online seem pretty reputable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can't do the A test with a 250 bike, it needs to be at least 595. Personally I wouldn't buy a bike till you complete IBT, the school you use should have a few different bikes to try out.

You can get a deal from any of the shops. Cotters are usually cheapest but have a random selection of brands. The other shops will be more expensive but have known brands. You can buy all the gear bar the lid 2nd hand to save cash. Make sure that you get your head measured for a properly fitting helmet.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can't do the A test with a 250 bike, it needs to be at least 595. Personally I wouldn't buy a bike till you complete IBT, the school you use should have a few different bikes to try out.

You can get a deal from any of the shops. Cotters are usually cheapest but have a random selection of brands. The other shops will be more expensive but have known brands. You can buy all the gear bar the lid 2nd hand to save cash. Make sure that you get your head measured for a properly fitting helmet.

I didn't realise that the A test needed to be 595 or above specifically. I thought you could use a lower CC bike since the A licence would mean you could use any output.

I'm aware that IBT schools will have bikes for rental to learn on but would that be the case for taking the proper drivers test for a full licence also?

Sorry for the double post, but for buying used bikes, is there a cut off point for the age of the motorcycle that can be insured? I know the original response said that used bikes are generally cheaper to insure but would it become more expensive to insure depending on age?

• Advertisement

Seabhac14 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that the A test needed to be 595 or above specifically. I thought you could use a lower CC bike since the A licence would mean you could use any output.

I'm aware that IBT schools will have bikes for rental to learn on but would that be the case for taking the proper drivers test for a full licence also?

If you turn up for the A test on a bike that doesn't meat the criteria you'll get a lower licence, for whatever category the bike falls into.

You can rent the bike from the school for the test.

Insurance is a lottery and depends on the type of bike you are looking to insure. A new commuter type bike will be cheaper to insure than an older sports bike. Go into a few bike shops and sit on the ones you like ask permission first, once you find one you like ring around for insurance quotes to see what you can afford to insure. Quality alarms will give an insurance discount along with concrete built storage.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you turn up for the A test on a bike that doesn't meat the criteria you'll get a lower licence, for whatever category the bike falls into.

You can rent the bike from the school for the test.

Insurance is a lottery and depends on the type of bike you are looking to insure. A new commuter type bike will be cheaper to insure than an older sports bike. Go into a few bike shops and sit on the ones you like ask permission first, once you find one you like ring around for insurance quotes to see what you can afford to insure. Quality alarms will give an insurance discount along with concrete built storage.

So I may not need to even buy a motorcycle of my own until I complete the official drivers test as well as the IBT then?

And thanks, that does make sense. I'll be sure to look for a commuter one instead of a sports brand.

Seabhac14 wrote: »
    So I may not need to even buy a motorcycle of my own until I complete the official drivers test as well as the IBT then?

And thanks, that does make sense. I'll be sure to look for a commuter one instead of a sports brand.

You have to do the IBT before you can get on the road to practice for the test. But yes there is no need to own a bike to pass the test. I think some schools might even have the PPE to loan, someone else will know if I'm wrong. But I'll say it again that it's essential that you get your head measured and buy a new helmet.

Advertisement