Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scum cause bad crash on N7 thankfully only scum injured

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Let me take this one please.
    There has to be rule of law and if our system is broken it needs to be fixed.
    In yesterday's case the guards have done their job.
    If the legal system lets us ALL down then that is the problem that needs to be tackled.

Serious crime needs to be punished and the background of the offender should make no difference.
    I do not find End of the Roads posts trolling I think like me he sees that mindless angry rants and spewing hate leeds up nowhere.

I grew up in a council estate and I have never been involved in any criminal or antisocial activity but I do grand there is higher crime in these areas.
    Should I be discriminated against as a result.
    I see plenty of Tallaght bashing on the internet.

I have seen posts in this thread about forced sterilization a single bullet and so on.
    Do the people posting this really think any of that is a realistic prospect?

In my opening post that started this thread I described the people in the car and scum and nobody objected.
    I singled out people commiting crime and I do believe they should be properly dealt with by the legal system and I don't think End of the Road nor anybody else would object in the slightest.

We need to keep discussions calm and rational we are all meant to be adults afterall.

I never mentioned Tallaght and I never discriminated against any particular area. There's good and bad everywhere. I've no interest or care where you're from to be honest.

My point and the only point I've made is that people who continually break the law and contribute nothing to society have to be dealt with. And dealt with swiftly.

In an ideal world I would prefer the solution to be swift and at a minimal cost to the taxpayer.

Instead what we have is a revolving door justice system and a money pit for those in the legal profession all the while these vermin continue to roam the streets causing havoc.

The only lasting solution for many of these is to either lock them up and throw away the key (which doesn't happen) or you are forced to resort to other methods to push back. Or you can bury your head in the sand and continue as normal.

The nice man who tried to Rob Padraig Nally had over 80 previous convictions over 30 years. A career criminal. He also had several outstanding warrants for his arrest at the time. The only thing that stopped him robbing and assaulting that man and continuing his lifetime of crime was hot lead. You may not like it but society is a better place as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Negative_G wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/family-helped-tackle-criminal-who-had-travelled-from-dublin-to-cork-to-carry-out-burglary-spree-36430405.html

Care to comment on this story? I would be interested to hear how you would deal with someone like this in the long run to benefit wider society.

It probably doesn't suit your agenda so Ill highlight a few bits for you to keep it simple.

All of the above point to a softly softly approach from the judiciary reinforced by bleeding hearts in the public and in the Dail.

I couldn't care less about his background or childhood. The moment you step into someone's home and strike them over the head with an object is the moment something drastic needs to be done. If draconian methods like sterilisation or execution is the only sure fire way, then it gets my vote.

I suspect crime rates would plummet overnight. I wonder why.

See your post makes sense until the bit in bold.
    I am not a bleeding heart either.

Long prison sentences would put off others and I agree this is not happening and it should.
    But if you want to be taken serious the bolded bits of your post is doing your case way more harm than any other posters.

I never mentioned Tallaght and I never discriminated against any particular area. There's good and bad everywhere. I've no interest or care where you're from to be honest.

My point and the only point I've made is that people who continually break the law and contribute nothing to society have to be dealt with. And dealt with swiftly.

In an ideal world I would prefer the solution to be swift and at a minimal cost to the taxpayer.

Instead what we have is a revolving door justice system and a money pit for those in the legal profession all the while these vermin continue to roam the streets causing havoc.

The only lasting solution for many of these is to either lock them up and throw away the key (which doesn't happen) or you are forced to resort to other methods to push back. Or you can bury your head in the sand and continue as normal.

The nice man who tried to Rob Padraig Nally had over 80 previous convictions over 30 years. A career criminal. He also had several outstanding warrants for his arrest at the time. The only thing that stopped him robbing and assaulting that man and continuing his lifetime of crime was hot lead. You may not like it but society is a better place as a result.

I don't disagree with a word of that post.
    And I agree the legal system is broken and it needs to be fixed.
    Your post is calm and rational.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I cant believe it ..but the driver of this car was released on bail of 100 euros..thats a joke ..says it all really ..

See your post makes sense until the bit in bold.
    I am not a bleeding heart either.

Long prison sentences would put off others and I agree this is not happening and it should.
    But if you want to be taken serious the bolded bits of your post is doing your case way more harm than any other posters.

So you want me to conform to your perspective in order to be receive your blessing and be 'taken seriously'? No thanks - that's not how discussion forums work.

Are those methods at the very bottom of the pile of solutions? Yes they are.

If you have an aggressive dog that keeps biting people and nothing is working to rectify the behaviour then you cut your losses and put a bullet in its head.

We all have choices and the choices we make shape who we are and how we are treated. Our treatment of others also forms a large part of who we are and how others perceive us.

If I chose to live by the sword and a live a life of crime, I can't have many complaints if I end up suffering as a result.

A jury of 12 ordinary people found Nally, not guilty of manslaughter in that case. This was after the honourable Judge Carney denied a jury
    the opportunity to come to their own decision in the initial trial. Some democracy there.

I'd wager there's a sizable amount of the population who would support capital punishment. Legally its off the table of course and has been for some time but for some its the only solution.

I cant believe it ..but the driver of this car was released on bail of 100 euros..thats a joke ..says it all really ..

Again legal system.
    I am sure the Guards yesterday feel betrayed.

So you want me to conform to your perspective in order to be receive your blessing and be 'taken seriously'? No thanks - that's not how discussion forums work.

:D:D I was just trying to give you some friendly advice and no you don't have to conform to MY perspective nor do you need my blessing.

Angry rants and hateful posts do not help and they also breach the rules here.

And I do agree with you about the legal system.
    In human social affairs, discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person based on the group, class, or category to which the person is perceived to belong rather than on individual attributes. This includes treatment of an individual or group, based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or social category, "in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated".[1] It involves the group's initial reaction or interaction going on to influence the individual's actual behavior towards the group leader or the group, restricting members of one group from opportunities or privileges that are available to another group, leading to the exclusion of the individual or entities based on logical or irrational decision making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Grayson wrote: »
    PandaPoo wrote: »
    What does that mean?

You know. Travellers... batman... it's obvious :rolleyes: ;)

Don't believe I saw that episode in which Batman steals copper and shags his cousin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

There's a criminal process

When a person is first charged and brought before a court they are normally given bail unless there are compelling reasons not to which are set out in the Bail Act 1997 which you should read.

A person will reappear at some later stage and either plead guilty or not guilty to the charges and sentenced accordingly.

A 100 euro own bond bail here is perfectly normal particularly when the accused is underage, unemployed. Bail is not punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

L
    I have seen posts in this thread about forced sterilization a single bullet and so on.
    Do the people posting this really think any of that is a realistic prospect?

I think those options are well worth discussing and exploring but, realistically I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

None of the political parties would touch those options with a bargepole, purely due to the controversy it would create and the blowback they'd get from the media. Also I doubt the EU would be enamored...

There just isn't any real incentive for politicians to pursue controversial/risky policy changes. There just isn't any upside in it for them. Austerity being an exception - not much you can do when the money is running out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

McCrack wrote: »
    There's a criminal process

When a person is first charged and brought before a court they are normally given bail unless there are compelling reasons not to which are set out in the Bail Act 1997 which you should read.

A person will reappear at some later stage and either plead guilty or not guilty to the charges and sentenced accordingly.

A 100 euro own bond bail here is perfectly normal particularly when the accused is underage, unemployed. Bail is not punishment.

Is bail not supposed to be based also on likelihood to re-offend?

That’s the biggest joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Again legal system.

yes they put their lives on the line ...we should introduce chain gangs or some sort of hard physical labour for scum like this...its ironic that looking after the human rights of these scum effects the rights of the innocent..
    we have no deterrent in this country and its only getting worse.

:D:D I was just trying to give you some friendly advice and no you don't have to conform to MY perspective nor do you need my blessing.

Angry rants and hateful posts do not help and they also breach the rules here.

And I do agree with you about the legal system.

Fair enough, I may have misread your intent.

It's more than just the legal system. Its a societal issue.

No country is perfect and they all have their own issues. If you look at Singapore for example. It has a GDP per capita similar to strong European nations. They have a diverse population and culture and are well educated.

They as a society do not tolerate crime or participating in crime or anti social activities. In addition, if you commit a crime you can expect to receive a considerable sentence up to and including death. This is a modern functioning democracy similar to the west.

People need to stand up and push back but they need to be supported by the Gardai and the Judges, otherwise people will simply turn a blind eye or accept it which is what has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't believe I saw that episode in which Batman steals copper and shags his cousin.

But he was always fond of Robbin.

anewme wrote: »
    Is bail not supposed to be based also on likelihood to re-offend?

That’s the biggest joke.

Yes refusing bail where there is a real likelihood of committing further offences is one ground under section 2 of the Bail Act

Google the Act and read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

well first of all, there is no such thing as "the bleeding heart brigade"
    secondly, murdering people and forced sterilisation aren't going to happen in ireland. they most likely breach international and human rights law.
    thirdly, unless some form of survey has been done, none of us are going to know how many, if any, of those who have had multiple previous convictions have turned their lives around and got the message that they cannot commit crime.

EOTR you refuse to accept that there is any such thing as an over sympathetic left wing liberal faction in Irish society when a lot of the rest of us see quite clearly that there is.
    I could be described as working at the coal face ( I honestly don’t think you do) and I see quite clearly every day how a concerted effort on behalf of the relevant bodies to empathize with criminals and sympathize and be understanding and lenient has simply not worked.
    People who come from backgrounds where bad desicion after bad desicion have absolutely no consequences whatsoever are now burdened with an unmanageable sense of rights and entitlement which cannot be met resulting in huge unhappiness for them and smouldering resentment amongst those who chose to make the right desicion and are being told that it’s only fair that the guy who broke into their mothers house, stole all her savings and **** on her bed, be given a second or 43rd chance because his mother didn’t buy him a PS4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Not sure if this has been mentioned already on the thread but isn't it about time that these, and any other scrote being picked up for similar crimes and subsequently released due to overcrowded prisons, should be fitted with a tracking device to keep tabs on them - any future crimes committed can easily be traced time and location wise to them. Either that or just peg them off the cliffs of Moher now to save the already overburdened tax payers a few quid

Exactly. Is there any reason why tracking devices are not used in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

PandaPoo wrote: »
    What does that mean?

They can't go out without Robin.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I see the usual suggestions of mass murder, "ethnic cleansing", forced eugenics, hang em high judging and assorted hi-jinks are all here.

Why do you think people , so many people, all over the country are so very angry Odhinn?
    Many many people are arming themselves and planning to shoot to kill and take the consequences .
    You don’t understand it and feel the anger is not justified.
    It’s only a matter of time before a Traveller is shot dead by a homeowner,
    That will be a tragedy for 2 families.
    What do you think a homeowner in a rural remote area should do when presented with an intruder Odhinn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

splinter65 wrote: »
    Odhinn wrote: »
    I see the usual suggestions of mass murder, "ethnic cleansing", forced eugenics, hang em high judging and assorted hi-jinks are all here.

Why do you think people , so many people, all over the country are so very angry Odhinn?
    Many many people are arming themselves and planning to shoot to kill and take the consequences .
    What do you think a homeowner in a rural remote area should do when presented with an intruder Odhinn?

Hug them and ask them if they'd like a cuppa I imagine.

arctictree wrote: »
    Exactly. Is there any reason why tracking devices are not used in Ireland?

But people have a right to privacy, you tag animals, not humans.
    That’s what you’ll be told.
    Then you’ll be given a link to some report compiled by some civil rights group “proving” how tagging doesn’t “work”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If there is an intruder, he should expect to be met with retaliatory force.

Odhinn is still correct in saying that the hang em high, sterilization, a bullet is cheap ****e is absolute bolix.

Odhinn is still correct in saying that the hang em high, sterilization, a bullet is cheap ****e is absolute bolix.

It would work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I hear he's 16?

Slap on the wrist so.

It would work though.

You want it to. But all evidence points to the contrary.

The US has 3 strikes, death penalty, crazy sentencing, the lot. And everyone knows that there's no crime there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I live on the cusp of the capital city. I don't believe in the death penalty or an eye for an eye type of justice. I've never assaulted anyone in my adult life and hope I never do. I wouldn't say I'm a violent person. If I woke up in the middle of the night and found someone in my house, I'd cave their fcuking head in without a second's hesitation and I applaud anyone else who would, or who has, done the same..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Again legal system.

He doesnt even have to pay the 100 euro to be released.

He signs an iou to the state that he has to pay 100 euro if he doesnt show uo in court on the next date.

If he doesnt show up, rarely will the state get the 100 euro. Very rarely.

Retaliatory force...hmmm....what do you Odhinn or EOTR or any other poster concerned about the welfare of the criminal consider “crossing the line” in retaliatory force?

Omackeral wrote: »
    I live on the cusp of the capital city. I don't believe in the death penalty or an eye for an eye type of justice. I've never assaulted anyone in my adult life and hope I never do. I wouldn't say I'm a violent person. If I woke up in the middle of the night and found someone in my house, I'd cave their fcuking head in without a second's hesitation and I applaud anyone else who would, or who has, done the same..

Good man

Depending on how far you "cave their fcuking head" you might possibly find yourself serving a life sentence or at a minimum a few years depending on the severity of the caving in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Whilst i understand the need and nature for a consequential deterrent for committing crime.

I feel there is so much lacking in reducing it's root cause. People who are mentally well, happy, content, and socially well accepted, don't go out and commit crimes of this nature. All the punishment in the world is not going to solve the crime issue.

• Advertisement

Good man

Depending on how far you "cave their fcuking head" you might possibly find yourself serving a life sentence or at a minimum a few years depending on the severity of the caving in.

He might. He shouldn't though.

Good man

''I was terrified he was gonna kill my child, Your Honour. I was in fear for my child's life and I reacted. I've never been in trouble in my life and all I could think about was my child's safety.''

What would you do if a scumbag was hovering over your child's cot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

What about a system of rehabilitation that educates and changes a person into a person who sees the benefit of not living a life of crime?

If this person you referred to in your post, was given the skills to be emotionally well, mentally healthy, and skilled, do you think he would commit crime like this again? would he not also likely be the last in his line of reproduction since he will be able to raise the children in a better environment too?

The US has 3 strikes, death penalty, crazy sentencing, the lot. And everyone knows that there's no crime there at all.

Singapore has a very harsh penal system including the death penalty and has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Whats the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There most certainly is, your post history supports it.

there really isn't.
    What about the human rights of the people who's lives are turned upside down because of these scumbags? Are you going to stand up for their rights or just the scroats.

everyone's human rights must be upheld as per international and human rights law.
    Okay, so you cant quote a survey or study, so lets refer to the umpteen amounts of criminals that we see in the media with dozens of previous convictions for various crimes. Clearly the system is broken and the softly softly approach taken by the bleeding heart/PC brigade and the judiciary in Ireland needs serious overhaul.

the pc and bleeding heart brigade don't exist so have nothing to do with this. the judges can only work within the laws they are given, so the soft sentences are down to the government, and are ultimately down to the people who vote them in.
    I couldn't give a fcuk about the perceived human rights of someone who prey on innocent people who just want to go about their own business.

whether you or i or anyone else cares or not ultimately doesn't matter. as long as the government abide by the relevant laws and uphold the human rights of all the citizens in the country that is the most important thing.
    I would argue that most would agree that you forfeit these once you make the decision to act and behave like a scumbag.

you forfit your right to freedom for as long as deemed necessary to insure you are no longer a threat to society. in theory anyway.
    People like you are contribute significantly to the social problems in Ireland and elsewhere.

i'm contributing to nothing of the sort. i didn't vote for ff or fg and never have, so i'm not responsible for their crime prevention strategies.
    Your absolute inability to accept peoples wrong doings is laughable. The only way people that share your perspective will ever learn is when you are on the receiving end of it.

funny that, as there are plenty of posts of mine on this site which prove that i believe criminals involved in serious crimes including burdlery should be locked up for a long time. also, you don't know that i have or haven't been on the receiving end of a burdlery as it's not something i would discuss on this site.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

''I was terrified he was gonna kill my child, Your Honour. I was in fear for my child's life and I reacted. I've never been in trouble in my life and all I could think about was my child's safety.''

It wont be a judge you will need to convince but a jury.

If it ever happens I hope it works out for you. Imagine your kid losing their father to prison for anything up to a life sentence because he "caved in" some scummers head who was commiting a burglary

Retaliatory force...hmmm....what do you Odhinn or EOTR or any other poster concerned about the welfare of the criminal consider “crossing the line” in retaliatory force?

Well, I've a hand axe beside my bed, and if someone is on my property, uninvited, to do nefarious things, I'll swing, and take my punishment if it's deemed over the line. I've just spent 2 nights with my elderly mother, because suspicious cars were spotted in the vicinity, with one of my brothers taking over from me tonight.

Pointing out what doesn't work doesn't mean I'm not amenable to something that will work.

Any other examples of a country having these measures and them failing so badly?

manonboard wrote: »

What about a system of rehabilitation that educates and changes a person into a person who sees the benefit of not living a life of crime?

If this person you referred to in your post, was given the skills to be emotionally well, mentally healthy, and skilled, do you think he would commit crime like this again? would he not also likely be the last in his line of reproduction since he will be able to raise the children in a better environment too?

Is the singing of Kumbayah before or after that ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/family-helped-tackle-criminal-who-had-travelled-from-dublin-to-cork-to-carry-out-burglary-spree-36430405.html

Care to comment on this story? I would be interested to hear how you would deal with someone like this in the long run to benefit wider society.

It probably doesn't suit your agenda so Ill highlight a few bits for you to keep it simple.

All of the above point to a softly softly approach from the judiciary reinforced by bleeding hearts in the public and in the Dail.

I couldn't care less about his background or childhood. The moment you step into someone's home and strike them over the head with an object is the moment something drastic needs to be done. If draconian methods like sterilisation or execution is the only sure fire way, then it gets my vote.

I suspect crime rates would plummet overnight. I wonder why.

it more points to the judiciary only being able to give sentences within the laws they have to work with, which aren't fit for purpose.
    the asalt at least should see the criminal in that story go to jail for a very long time. sterilisation and state sanctioned murder won't be happening so there is no point in ranting about it, they don't work anyway.
    if you want something done, protest for long sentences, that has a great chance of happening and you would get wide spread support from the vast majority of us.
    A jury of 12 ordinary people found Nally, not guilty of manslaughter in that case. This was after the honourable Judge Carney denied a jury
    the opportunity to come to their own decision in the initial trial. Some democracy there.

what judge carney did was perfectly democratic. he would have had good reason to do what he did.
    I'd wager there's a sizable amount of the population who would support capital punishment. Legally its off the table of course and has been for some time but for some its the only solution.

the reason it is off the table is not only that it's murder, but it's not a solution to anything.
    yes they put their lives on the line ...we should introduce chain gangs or some sort of hard physical labour for scum like this...its ironic that looking after the human rights of these scum effects the rights of the innocent..
    we have no deterrent in this country and its only getting worse.

we are never going to have a deterrent in this country. deterrents only work for those of us who aren't planning on commiting crime. focusing on deterrents is a waste of time, we need to focus on simply protecting society and punishing the criminals.

wouldn't be enough ultimately. at least not after a few cases of that.
    Singapore has a very harsh penal system including the death penalty and has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Whats the difference?

america also has a very harsh penal system and has one of the highest if not the highest crime rate in the world.
    also, Singapore's crime rate isn't as low as is often made out.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If it ever happens I hope it works out for you. Imagine your kid losing their father to prison for anything up to a life sentence because he "caved in" some scummers head who was commiting a burglary
    That wouldn't worry me and I don't believe that any court, judge or jury would convict someone for killing an intruder in his own house who he felt posed a threat to him or his family. I have a shotgun quite close to my bed just for the purpose of self-defence.
    This case involved a man running down a burglar with his car and breaking his legs.
    His insurance company paid the burglar 175 K. Madness.
    https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/tycoon-cleared-of-burglar-attack-wins-legal-costs-29164666.html

That wouldn't worry me and I don't believe that any court, judge or jury would convict someone for killing an intruder in his own house who he felt posed a threat to him or his family. I have a shotgun quite close to my bed just for the purpose of self-defence.
    This case involved a man running down a burglar with his car and breaking his legs.
    His insurance company paid the burglar 175 K. Madness.
    https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/tycoon-cleared-of-burglar-attack-wins-legal-costs-29164666.html

I dont think you should be so sure.

There are many examples in the UK of homeowners getting lengthy prison sentences for taking matters too far.

I dont know of any reported examples from this jurisdiction except the Nally case.

Any other examples of a country having these measures and them failing so badly?

Pakistan? 80,000 in prison, incarceration rates rising (indicating crime still happens), ****e conditions, death penalty.

China. 1000's executed or disappeared. Drugs trade is huge, as is human trafficking, as is counterfeiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There are many examples in the UK of homeowners getting lengthy prison sentences for taking matters too far.

I dont know of any reported examples from this jurisdiction except the Nally case.
    I quoted one above.
    This seems to cover the use of force too.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/act/35/section/2/enacted/en/html#sec2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

There's no point in giving a statistic on the level of incarceration in a particular country and the amount of crime there.

It tells you nothing.

You would have to show the same country with a different level or ratio of incarceration and plot the changes in crime and behavior.

So the oft trotted out america has a very high prison population but there is still crime there can tell you nothing about how effective their policy is. You would have to reduce their prison population by 50% for example and see the difference. For all you know their incarceration policy is tremendously successful because if he didn't follow it their society would be completely ripped apart and collapse.

Sorry for this interlude of logic. Carry on.

Pakistan? 80,000 in prison, incarceration rates rising (indicating crime still happens), ****e conditions, death penalty.

China. 1000's executed or disappeared. Drugs trade is huge, as is human trafficking, as is counterfeiting.

You're going to use societies that are inherently corrupt, that promote a system of bribery, and so many other factors for why their crime levels continue?

You address the judge in a court of law, not the jury. Now care to answer my question instead of dodging it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Something along the lines of this maybe?

Daily WikiWeirdness: Brain Transplants

2_2.jpg

https://www.wired.com/2006/12/daily-wikiweird-5/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Examples?

• Advertisement

You address the judge in a court of law, not the jury. Now care to answer my question instead of dodging it?

If you are on trial in an indicable matter the jury decide guilt or innocence. It is therefore them you need to convince your "head caving" was justified and not the judge presiding.

If the defendant wishes to go into evidence they are addressing the Court.

I dont have an answer for your question because its too abstract -if I found myself in a situation you describe I would deal with it the best way I can. My absolute priority would be my kids safety and thereafter my own.

Advertisement