Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much?

• 28-12-2017 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

The susi grant is great if you get it for covering fees etc but am I right in saying that if you are awarded the full maintenance grant you will receive just over 3,000 for the year or about 80 euro per week? This is for living and travel costs? That's not very much is it?
    Has anyone done this and how is it livable? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Susihelp wrote: »
    The susi grant is great if you get it for covering fees etc but am I right in saying that if you are awarded the full maintenance grant you will receive just over 3,000 for the year or about 80 euro per week? This is for living and travel costs? That's not very much is it?
    Has anyone done this and how is it livable? Thanks.

Work a few hours. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Susihelp

mickdw wrote: »
    Work a few hours. Simple.

Is that what you did? How did you pay for rent? Bills?

Is that what you did? How did you pay for rent? Bills?

I didnt get any grant whatsoever.
    I worked full summers on buildings and then did some casual work all year.

I didnt get any grant whatsoever.
    I worked full summers on buildings and then did some casual work all year.

Obviously I was too subtle with my reply to you. Maybe you should have spent more time studying. :D

Obviously I was too subtle with my reply to you. Maybe you should have spent more time studying. :D

Im not getting you at all but i have my degree so quite happy.with my studies thanks.

• Advertisement

Im not getting you at all but i have my degree so quite happy.with my studies thanks.

And how much did the susi grant help you with these studies?

And how much did the susi grant help you with these studies?

No grant received.

No grant received.

The penny still hasn't dropped. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Take your time, you'll get it eventually.

Take your time, you'll get it eventually.

Did you get the full susi grant?

• Advertisement

Did you get the full susi grant?

No, I got a part time job.

No, I got a part time job.

:D You're as slow as the other lad.

:D You're as slow as the other lad.

To answer your question - of course you can survive on the Susi grant. Plenty people have done it, but only through relative hardship.

Is it the optimum way for you to spend your time as a student, only you can tell.

It wont be easy, especially if you don't commute every day. Having to rent to be near college is going to eat up all the grant and mean you will need to supplement your income through part time work or family supplement.

What are you studying, how many contact hours will you have in your course? Also, where is your course?

Just for anyone who may be searching through this topic in the future. There's an eligibility check you can do on the susi website.
    I went through it and looked up other areas of the website and I qualify for 100% maintenance. This means I will have all my college fees paid for. Yayyyyyy. :D My circumstances will remain similar so this will cover the 3 years.
    The maintenance grant is 3,000 per year so about 80 per week but with the fees paid for that's not too bad with the savings I have.
    I also qualify for rent allowance for when I move to the area my course is in. Just from reading up, you should have all your forms and proof ready to speed up the process with susi when applying in June or July.
    Hope this helps someone. :)

To answer your question - of course you can survive on the Susi grant. Plenty people have done it, but only through relative hardship.

Is it the optimum way for you to spend your time as a student, only you can tell.

It wont be easy, especially if you don't commute every day. Having to rent to be near college is going to eat up all the grant and mean you will need to supplement your income through part time work or family supplement.

What are you studying, how many contact hours will you have in your course? Also, where is your course?

I haven't got on the course yet!!! :D I'm confident I will though.
    I'm actually not sure if I'll move to the area or not as yet.
    I have a good bit saved that will help me.

I have a good bit saved that will help me.

That'll definitely help.

Look up rent allowance though. http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Rent-Allowance.aspx

Do you mean Rent Supplement? But, not sure if that's for temporary student dwelling either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭patrickc

you will not be eligible for rent allowance /hap as a student in another town.

only if you are on the housing list in that area will you be entitled to that

Oh right, I'll have to commute then. That's what I put in the eligibility guide on the susi website anyway.
    I'd like to hear from people who have actually received the grant and gone through college, how did you find it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Susihelp your username would imply you are responding in some sort of official capacity, however some of your responses are rude and not to the standard we accept here. Please do not post in this manner here again.

If you are an official account, please contact hello@boards.ie and change your attitude.

No! I was looking for susi help, I'm not working for susi. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 DonegalMick

I got 1000 a year around 20 years ago, I ate beans and fish fingers most of the year. I worked every summer and took out a few loans. If your lucky the grant will cover your accomodation, it's never been much different.

No such thing as a free education

Ok. So im the slow one here it seems. Please explain the joke for slow old me.

I got 1000 a year around 20 years ago, I ate beans and fish fingers most of the year. I worked every summer and took out a few loans. If your lucky the grant will cover your accomodation, it's never been much different.

No such thing as a free education

That's true. It'll be a struggle but the end justifies the means.

Advertisement