Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Eve in Limerick City

• 28-12-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Meself and a mate are traveling to limerick for new years eve and are looking for suggestions for where to go.
    We're 40 and 39 year old fellas, and we'll enjoy quite a few pints from about 4pm onwards. We'll be looking for a place for a bit of grub, we like a bit of live music, especially rock but are open for anything once there's a bit of craic going.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Pub grub? - Could go to the http://curragower.com/ for some grub and tip around town. The bars around Denmark Street do get very full (Nancys, Flannerys etc) the other bars do get busy but are ok.

Tom Collins
    Jerry Flannerys (1314) Will have live music
    You could try house but i suspect it will be Jammers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Thanks Tefral, cheers for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Durty Nellies would be good craic id say and only a bit outside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Tefral wrote: »
    Pub grub? - Could go to the http://curragower.com/ for some grub and tip around town. The bars around Denmark Street do get very full (Nancys, Flannerys etc) the other bars do get busy but are ok.

Tom Collins
    Jerry Flannerys (1314) Will have live music
    You could try house but i suspect it will be Jammers

Ya you prob cant go wrong with The Curraghgower or Bobby Byrnes for food and both lovely bars. Else the Locke bar...

Mickey Martins, Tom Collins, The Commercial & Jerry Flannerys (live band) are all very close to each other (Thomas street/Catherine st area) and are great pubs. Costellos is a pub/niteclub with an alternative scene, thats always a good laugh.

The Market Quarter area has a fair few pubs to choose from as well. The Old Quarter, Cobble Stone Joes, Smyths & Ml Flannerys will all have live music. Mothermacs is a great place to have a pint while the Red Hen is good too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Durty Nellies would be good craic id say and only a bit outside the city.

Since when is 10 miles only a bit outside the city? Bunratty is in the middle of knowwhere. You'd be crazy to go out there on New Years if staying in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Job may be oxo, but travelling 2hrs to Limerick to then travel 10 miles most certainly would not be.
    Cheers for the suggestion though, might be more suited to locals looking for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Fireworks and light display for Sunday night is cancelled due to the weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Fireworks and light display for Sunday night is cancelled due to the weather!

Is it all cancelled? Even the fireworks? That is very disappointing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Everything's postponed until St Patrick's day, postponed due to risk of flooding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ah here. i was actually going to go to it! and i never go to anything!

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote:
    ah here. i was actually going to go to it! and i never go to anything!

Me too. Was looking forward to the art installations on the castle. It's understandable though why it had to be cancelled. The river Shannon...it giveth and it taketh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

panda100 wrote: »
    Is it all cancelled? Even the fireworks? That is very disappointing!

Sounds like they didn't have a choice, expecting flooding on Clancy strand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

I still have nightmares over the light art projections on the walls of king John's castle for the Millennium

Christ it was ****ing dire

I still have nightmares over the light art projections on the walls of king John's castle for the Millennium

Christ it was ****ing dire

Thankfully technology has come along way since 1999. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Thankfully technology has come along way since 1999. :pac:

Well it's the council so...let's just say my expectations aren't high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Anyone know of any other fireworks displays tonight? Would Ennis have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Chavways wrote: »
    Anyone know of any other fireworks displays tonight? Would Ennis have one?
    Nothing publicised about Ennis having one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Were there fireworks after all? There was just a very professional looking display from the direction of town. Way longer, bigger and more professional than someone with a few illegal ones.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

iguana wrote: »
    Were there fireworks after all? There was just a very professional looking display from the direction of town. Way longer, bigger and more professional than someone with a few illegal ones.

I'm just home from a party at an apartment in town. We had a stunning view from where we were.

There were fireworks going off from beyond King John's Castle (St Mary's Park?) from shortly after 23:30, but at midnight they were going off from all around the city. I'd guess that many were in the distance in Castletroy, some from Thomondgate, a short but impressive display from Caherdavin (or maybe Ashbrook) and a top class volley of lovely ones from Garryowen.

It really was amazing to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Caught a decent display in the Claughaun area a few minutes after I posted. Looks like people are getting their hands on good fireworks and know what to do with them. We'd often get decent amateur displays all around like that in the UK but apart from tonight any personal fireworks displays I've ever seen have been really crappy.

• Advertisement

Does anyone ever go hear the bells at st Mary's cathedral for new years eve? Every year I say that would be a lovely way to ring in the new year and every year I forget to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

panda100 wrote: »
    Does anyone ever go hear the bells at st Mary's cathedral for new years eve? Every year I say that would be a lovely way to ring in the new year and every year I forget to go!

There were a lot of people there, St Mary's Band were out too.

There were a lot of people there, St Mary's Band were out too.

Oh lovely! Must remember to do that next year!

So what was actually meant to happen at the castle this year?

So what was actually meant to happen at the castle this year?

Remember two years ago when they projected animation onto Penneys? That but on a bigger scale, followed by fireworks.

Remember two years ago when they projected animation onto Penneys? That but on a bigger scale, followed by fireworks.

Ah yes. That was pretty cool actually.

I love when people flock to the city for things like this, especially when the river and castle are involved. I honestly do but what was so attractive about a glorified power point presentation on the castle for NYE? Personally, I would have preferred every cent of whatever that was meant to cost to be spent on a big fcuk off, professional fireworks display and nothing else.

Advertisement