Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great sequels that are the black sheep of their franchises

• 28-12-2017 10:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have been thinking about some of the sequels I love that are the black sheep of their respective franchises. Most major franchises have at least one film that is shunned because of something it did to piss fans or audiences off. Some of these films are better appreciated in retrospect while others remain divisive.

Here are some of my favourites:

The Temple of Doom: The violence and slapstick comedy mean this is still a divisive film to this day, but it was my favourite Indy film as a kid and I still love it just as much as Raiders. I genuinely find Capshaw hilarious, especially during the insect cave scene where Indy and Short-round are about to be crushed. What really makes it work is all the Gunga Din-esque camaraderie between the characters. The darkness and violence is extreme but nicely offsets all the humour.

Batman Returns: Usually disliked for being too dark and for taking too many liberties with the mythos. Despite finding this deeply disturbing as a child, I've always preferred it to the first Batman. The villains are truly frightening but what always made on impression on me was that the worst villain (Shrek) is also the most human in appearance. Burton really makes you sympathise with Catwoman and the Penguin but without pulling any punches about what they are. Favourite line: "You're just jealous because I'm a genuine freak and you have to wear a mask".

Back to the Future Part II: This was thrashed by many people at the time for its all over the place plotting and the lack of its predecessor's charm, but I absolutely love it for its bold inventiveness and time travel hijinks. It really embraces being the middle act of the trilogy and has fun with it.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: I don't need to say why this is hated, but it has many fans and I'm one of them. Some of the best action sequences of the franchise. And the best Bond girl. And a brave and unforgettable ending.

What's your favourite black sheep sequel and why?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Temple Of Doom kind of loses points for me because of that annoying kid and Indys constantly screaming female sidekick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Jurassic world wasn't that bad I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Terminator 3, that films not that bad at all, and has plenty of decent action sequences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Also, Thor : the dark world is also better than is generally acknowledged imo. It builds on the whole fantasy / sci element of the marvel universe, and when looked at in conjunction with guardians of the galaxy, maintains a consistent tone for that side of the franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Star Trek III The Search for Spock.

The movie that started the 'odd number bad' description of the Trek movies. It was disliked for years and has only recently been more widely regarded as one of the better Trek movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Rougies

In retrospect I appreciate Ghostbusters 3 because hopefully it will teach the industry to not try that type of thing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I really like Superman III. Christopher Reeve playing evil Superman really was something to behold.

Richard Pryor was a bonus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Wedwood wrote: »
    Star Trek III The Search for Spock.

The movie that started the 'odd number bad' description of the Trek movies. It was disliked for years and has only recently been more widely regarded as one of the better Trek movies.

Yeah, I've always been a defender of this film. It's very well written. It totally earns both the destruction of the Enterprise and Spock's resurrection. Kirk collapsing on the bridge after his son is killed is one of my favourite moments in Star Trek.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Search for Spock is a solid film, but what worked against it was the double-punch of simply NOT being as phenomenal as its predecessor, Wrath of Khan (a legitimately great thriller regardless of genre), not to mention committing the cardinal sin of Sci-Fi in reversing death - which in turn negated the emotional impact of the aforementioned Wrath of Khan, arguably sealing its myth even further. Christopher Lloyd was a pretty insane yet inspired choice as the Klingon antagonist.

As for the topic, I have a lot of time for Alien 3, even if the consensus has it lumped it into a pile with the other post-Aliens sequels. Inferior yes, but as a standalone it's still a decent film. Incredibly downbeat & gothic so perhaps not an easy rewatch, but it's fascinating to watch David Fincher's first film, warts n' all, and still walk away entertained by a somewhat underrated entry in the franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think Search for Spock is a solid film, but what worked against it was the double-punch of simply NOT being as phenomenal as its predecessor, Wrath of Khan (a legitimately great thriller regardless of genre), not to mention committing the cardinal sin of Sci-Fi in reversing death - which in turn negated the emotional impact of the aforementioned Wrath of Khan, arguably sealing its myth even further. Christopher Lloyd was a pretty insane yet inspired choice as the Klingon antagonist.

As rule of thumb, I agree, but in terms of execution I think the film handles Spock's resurrection extremely well. There's no "magic blood" involved, it takes a whole movie to being him back and Kirk sacrifices his ship, his son, and his career to do it. And thematically it plays on and subverts WoK's theme of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" in way that feels very Star Trek.

From a storytelling perspective, you still shouldn't bring characters back to life, but if you must it should come at considerable sacrifice, something which I think the film got right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,752 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Under Siege 2 was panned at the time but I liked it. more recently Independance day 2

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

I always loved Halloween 3.

I would imagine the fans were annoyed that Michael Myers didn't feature but an on-going anthology series by Carpenter each Halloween would have been amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Carry On Screaming.....really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Terminator 3, that films not that bad at all, and has plenty of decent action sequences

Yeah it suffered from not being as good as, and from being a different film to, the first 2.

Would have made a good stand alone sci-fi flick, and is still better than all the Terminator films that have come after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I think Temple of Doom is a prequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Die Hard 2 - far better movie than it gets credit for (though admittedly can't match the original)

French Connection II: Very underrated. One of Gene Hackman's best ever performances...

+1 For Batman Returns OP.....always loved it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The Last Jedi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Batman Returns is my favourite Batman movie: it's just so kinky.

Rougies wrote: »
    In retrospect I appreciate Ghostbusters 3 because hopefully it will teach the industry to not try that type of thing again.

There was no Ghostbusters 3. Let's not put the mess we got with the previous two movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Another +1 for Batman Returns.

I'd love to have seen what Burton would have done with a 3rd, couldn't have ended up any worse than Batman Forever or Batman & Robin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Definitely Batman Returns is one, panned by alot of people for the wrong reasons.

I'll be edgy and say John Wick 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I always enjoyed Predator 2, thought it was a good gast paced action film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Jurassic Park 3. It's good fun with a decent sense of humour throughout. It's probably the one I have watched the most of any of the jp sequels.

Predators. The one with Adrian Brody. I have a soft spot for groups of misfits getting picked off one by one and this fits the bill nicely.

Indiana Jones and the crystal skull. Not nearly as bad as people make out and the terrible scenes are at the room level of badness so they are hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Another +1 for Batman Returns.

I'd love to have seen what Burton would have done with a 3rd, couldn't have ended up any worse than Batman Forever or Batman & Robin.

Burton never really had an idea (or interest) in how to use his title character. He’s completely sidelined in the sequel. It think it’s just as well he left.

I need to rewatch Ghostbusters 2. The ending is awful, but I’ve always felt it gets too much stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Acosta

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Moonraker

Was the highest grossing movie of 1979 and was well received and highly popular at the time. Was also the highest grossing Bond movie until the Brosnan years.

In recent years, Moonraker has unfairly suffered the wrath of modern critics because of its tongue in cheek tone, however, it's no more jokey than the likes of the current Marvel movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

I would add alien3 to the list, as its not as good as 1 and 2 but a cut above all else that follows and is novel in some ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

Timothy Dalton movies were 25 years ahead of their time.

Advertisement