Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK school teaching children to shoot and cook

• 29-12-2017 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

Best exam results in the area and has won primary school of the year. Yet a number of looney vegans (mostly Londoners) are all giving out on Facebook about how eating meat is bad. The less pigeons around to carry diseases the better.

The results really do speak for themselves. Children from a deprived background achieving well and excited to go to school. Maybe if recreational activities like this were rolled out to schools here in Ireland there wouldn’t be as many scumbags in this country.

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10155513191086939/

You don’t win friends with salad in this life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I love pigeons, cooked medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Children should be taught how to cook and shoot. Not nessecarily in connection though - I know vegetarians who can use weapons for self-defense should the need arise.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The headteacher dresses like he was the lead singer in an 80s glamrock tribute band...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The headteacher dresses like he was the lead singer in an 80s glamrock tribute band...

Folk call him Strider. But that's not his real name.

One of my prouder moments was teaching my daughter how to shoot. She is 7 and is able to load and shoot a rifle at a target in under 10 seconds now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

When the apocalypse comes these kids will be top of hierarchy.

kneemos wrote: »
    When the apocalypse comes these kids will be top of hierarchy.

First they came for the pigeons and I did not speak out because I was not a pigeon... then they came for the Europeans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Yer man does look like a bit of a header, but fair play to him. Teaching kids a broad range of things, including physical and outdoor pursuits, helps them learn. Rote learning isn't the best way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

EXCELLENT. yes, the head looks a bit.... different..... but thats all part of the "get kids interested" thing.

Many of the bet educators I know (I was in the biz for 15 years) had quirks.

waistcoats.... pocket watches.... OK Flared Jeans and dealer boots out in a muddy field isn't wise, but its part of the persona.

as to giving city kids an idea that food comes from the real world and not some massive lab run by Tesco? excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Stuff like this has being going on in the animal kingdom now since time began.

I mean look at pandas, the offspring spend most of their waking lives doing the following.

Eats. Shoots and leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think its fantastic, the kids really benefit from it, the results speak for themselves.
    Hard enough to get kids to engage these days and that school seems to have made a real success of it.
    It just shows that kids need stimulation not just sitting down and learning to regurgitate information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

schools should teach more stuff like this that is actually useful.

I'd love to see schools here teach basic skills like car maintenance or basic plumbing and electrical stuff.
    not everybody has a parent who shows them that kinda stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I'd love to see schools here teach basic skills like car maintenance or basic plumbing and electrical stuff.

Definitely. As well as some basic financial skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Secondary schools in Ireland should teach children to drive too like they do in america. It can cost a fortune to learn in later life and kids would pick it up much faster at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A Les McQueen, failed rock star vibe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I taught my daughter (to varying degrees) lots of life skills. These include cooking, lighting a fire, how to swim, sail a boat, carpentry, basic electrics, general DIY and, yes shock horror how to shoot a rifle and a shotgun. I wouldn’t have an objection to her school teaching any of these skills but I enjoy doing it myself.

Advertisement