Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"That's my parking spac

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I park where I need to. I move cones, chairs, planks etc. If it's not marked private (&sometimes when it is) its actually public parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We live in a section with no designated parking spots at the path but one spot across the road. There is an unwritten rule that we found out quickly that every house generally uses their designated spot and the spot outside their door. However no one has a hissy fit if a neighbour/visitor parks in an undesignated spot the odd time. Suss out the lay of the land OP then see what way you want to play it

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

@bananaleaf - check the original grant of planning & you’ll see if allocated parking was included with each house (unlikely) and whether there is a management company. If the council won’t take it in charge I don’t think the responsibility for roads & lights falls to them. I think you need to do a bit more digging.

While I can see that you don’t want to aggravate neighbourly relations it would be useful to know if you are entitled to park in any available space if the spaces closest to you aren’t available and what you can say to your neighbour at these times. It sounds like he is overly protective of the spaces outside his house. It’s most unlikely he has rights to two spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If it's allocated parking, it will usually be clearly marked as same. Like a unit number, or V for visitor etc.

Some people just willingly buy property without a driveway or car park and then think they can claim a chunk of public road for themselves.

The problem with 'letting it go' just validates their behaviour which has about as much standing as putting a cone on a random street space outside your office and berating people for using it.

At least though, the guy seems sound so maybe he can be put straight without a falling out. On the rare occasion it happened on my estate, it's always been the twats that nobody likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭muttnjeff

whatever about his landlord allocating him one space there is no way he can claim TWO spaces as the OP says this man was doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    What you are all saying about a management company is very interesting.

We were not told that there was one. This is what we were told by the solicitor:

The estate wasn't taken in charge by the local authority due to a dispute with builder after the houses were built. There was a roundabout that was supposed to be built that never was, and because of this the are wasn't taken in charge.

The solicitor told us that this meant that in terms of the lighting, roads etc that the county council apparently still have to look after this, even if they haven't taken the area in charge.

I asked a lady who also lives in this estate (who I know socially) and she said that there is no management company but that there is a residents association (I am aware that these are not the same thing)

i find it hard to believe that your solicitor told you this on a multi unit development. If it hasn't Been taken in charge because it is up to the required spec then he should have investigation what completion bonds etc were available to bring it up to spec to ensure the local authority take it in charge. Elsewise the cost of ant repairs, resurfacing etc will fall in the residents or more likely not be performed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

House we used to live in had a similar setup. Terraced houses in a line. Footpath few feet from door and then car park spaces other side of the path (Footpath separating house and car parking).
    When we bought the house the property land registry clearly shows 2 spaces directly outside house belonging to property.
    This was observed by all residents. Each house had 2 and then there was a few overflow at end of road.
    It is possible that neighbour is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The 1.5 spaces/house so far is an assumption. Most irish developments would provide more so 2 spaces is not beyond the realms of possibility.

I’m in Ashtown where there’s decent bus, train and now tram services. Houses have designated parking at 1.5/house (some have 1 and some have 2) and there’s additional visitor parking too @ .5/house. That’s lower then what the builder originally proposed. I’d be very surprised if parking is as low as 1.5/house across a whole estate of houses unless there’s excellent public transport.

One thing that strikes me. If there’s no management company and the council hasn’t taken the area in charge and the estate is there for 20 years, any markings may well be simply washed away or not installed in the first place.

I’m surprised you were able to close a house in an estate with such uncertainty about maintenance. You should go through your documents and go back to your solicitor to find out the situation and try to get it sorted before a real problem develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

pauliebdub wrote:
    It's the same in my estate, plenty of parking but no assigned spaces. It doesn't stop some residents behaving like dogs pissing against a tree regarding parking.

You know why? Because sometimes your neighbors in a two bed house possess 4 vehicles! **** happens. People usually have a reason to piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I’m in Ashtown where there’s decent bus, train and now tram services. Houses have designated parking at 1.5/house (some have 1 and some have 2) and there’s additional visitor parking too @ .5/house. That’s lower then what the builder originally proposed. I’d be very surprised if parking is as low as 1.5/house across a whole estate of houses unless there’s excellent public transport.

I think in Fingal area there was a planning requirement of allocating 1.5 spots for every two beds in a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I live in an estate like this and it's nearly a common law in which each neighbour respects that these spaces are allocated to the house. In order to keep the peace we each respect that. ( There has been cases in the past where cars were scratched, not mine or in my space but it has happened.)

The best thing to do would be talk to the neighbours to discuss before just parking anywhere. It's not a law but it will be easier in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Marcusm wrote: »
    i find it hard to believe that your solicitor told you this on a multi unit development.

His exact words were "it's good if it is (taken in charge) and its good if it isn't, because either way, the council have to look after it"

Judging by you saying "I find it hard to believe" this would suggest to me that our solicitor has given us a very poor service.

I know you might say "why didn't you look into this before closing" but that's what I was paying the solicitor to do surely? I've never purchased a property before, so how would I be expected to know that the person I have paid to research such things for me hasn't done them? I read up extensively during the process and never once did the question of investigating if a property is in charge of local authority appear, so I don't feel bad for not having noticed it myself.
    My solicitor on the other hand, should've known better.

What's interesting is that I have looked back on the bank valuers report and he stated in it that the estate is in charge of the local authority. But maybe, as previously mentioned by someone else, that was a box-ticking exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

peteb2 wrote: »
    You know why? Because sometimes your neighbors in a two bed house possess 4 vehicles! **** happens. People usually have a reason to piss!

Maybe the should be checking out the availability of parking BEFORE they decide to buy or rent there, rather than expecting public space to be used for storage of their private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

peteb2 wrote: »
    I think in Fingal area there was a planning requirement of allocating 1.5 spots for every two beds in a house.

Same in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Maybe the should be checking out the availability of parking BEFORE they decide to buy or rent there, rather than expecting public space to be used for storage of their private property?

Not with two beds, but from observation the biggest parking problems in estates tend to happen 20-25 years after they’re built especially in Dublin. The babies born in the estate grow up and get cars instead of moving out. Suddenly every house has 3-6 cars and parking becomes a war zone.

Nobody moving in with a newborn is thinking that far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A row between next door neighbors in our estate over on street parking resulted in a new father losing his good job.
    Pictures of his company car covered in logos appeared on Facebook when he deliberately parked like an arsehole just enough to prevent his neighbor from exiting her drive.
    It was “shared” 10000 times and his boss got to hear of it and out the door he went. P45.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not with two beds, but from observation the biggest parking problems in estates tend to happen 20-25 years after they’re built especially in Dublin. The babies born in the estate grow up and get cars instead of moving out. Suddenly every house has 3-6 cars and parking becomes a war zone.

Nobody moving in with a newborn is thinking that far ahead.

Plenty of time to think ahead about storage requirements when buying the car. You don't just buy a car and then expect somebody (government? council? management company?) to provide public space for storage of your private property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

His exact words were "it's good if it is (taken in charge) and its good if it isn't, because either way, the council have to look after it"

Judging by you saying "I find it hard to believe" this would suggest to me that our solicitor has given us a very poor service.

I know you might say "why didn't you look into this before closing" but that's what I was paying the solicitor to do surely? I've never purchased a property before, so how would I be expected to know that the person I have paid to research such things for me hasn't done them? I read up extensively during the process and never once did the question of investigating if a property is in charge of local authority appear, so I don't feel bad for not having noticed it myself.

What's interesting is that I have looked back on the bank valuers report and he stated in it that the estate is in charge of the local authority. But maybe, as previously mentioned by someone else, that was a box-ticking exercise?

Afaik the solicitor has to tell any lender if the estate isn't taken in charge. It isn't really a box-ticking exercise if something major goes wrong and the Council won't take responsibility. If the estate isn't particularly new or the developer is gone wallop, the Council may well provide services. A colleague of mine had his purchase held up for several months due to an unresolved issue with the sewerage system and estate not taken in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

splinter65 wrote:
    A row between next door neighbors in our estate over on street parking resulted in a new father losing his good job. Pictures of his company car covered in logos appeared on Facebook when he deliberately parked like an arsehole just enough to prevent his neighbor from exiting her drive. It was “shared†10000 times and his boss got to hear of it and out the door he went. P45.

Good enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not sure why he would suggest that the council have to look after it. Sure, there are plenty of councils which have a positive policy of taking estates in charge but equally, and especially where there are communal services, there are plenty which will be forever privately maintained, ie OMC and the attendant management fees. If the road is not I charge then neither are sewerage and similar services. If the builder didn’t complete the roadworks to spec (roundabout issue you mentioned) then they may well have cut corners elsewhere. Solicitors negligence, if that is present, runs only for 6 years from conveyance not from when you identify the issue.

• Advertisement

If the 'they' you are referring to is me (the OP) then had you read my posts you will know that I did investigate what we owned according to the boundary map. We don't own the parking spaces.
    What I didn't say was that we did check out what the parking was like in the area before buying and during the bidding process and we were happy with what we observed over that time.

Also, I don't like the tone of your post. I have been saving a long time to get a deposit together for a property in the area I wanted (not Dublin by the way) and I'd love a bigger house with a driveway, but I can't afford it. How dare you suggest that people such as myself buy these properties because we are selfish and careless. We buy them because it's what we can afford. Would the more sensible thing have been to mortgage the ar$e off myself? Instead of being realistic?
    Jesus, at a time when housing has never been more of an issue, only on an online forum can people be criticised for wanting to live within their means :confused::confused:

Plenty of time to think ahead about storage requirements when buying the car. You don't just buy a car and then expect somebody (government? council? management company?) to provide public space for storage of your private property.

And why wouldn't you expect to be able to store your car in a public space when you pay car tax? In order for a car to be permitted onto public roads it has to be taxed. Therefore, if public spaces exist,why couldn't they be used?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Not sure why he would suggest that the council have to look after it. Sure, there are plenty of councils which have a positive policy of taking estates in charge but equally, and especially where there are communal services, there are plenty which will be forever privately maintained, ie OMC and the attendant management fees. If the road is not I charge then neither are sewerage and similar services. If the builder didn’t complete the roadworks to spec (roundabout issue you mentioned) then they may well have cut corners elsewhere. Solicitors negligence, if that is present, runs only for 6 years from conveyance not from when you identify the issue.

Thank you. You've given me a lot of good info there. I will get investigating and will update

Vetch wrote: »
    Afaik the solicitor has to tell any lender if the estate isn't taken in charge. It isn't really a box-ticking exercise if something major goes wrong and the Council won't take responsibility. If the estate isn't particularly new or the developer is gone wallop, the Council may well provide services. A colleague of mine had his purchase held up for several months due to an unresolved issue with the sewerage system and estate not taken in charge.

He did tell us alright, but he said it wasn't an issue. Then read some stuff from a book and explained to us 'in layman's terms' that it meant that the council take it over no matter what.

What I meant re: box ticking was that the banks valuer literally ticked a box on the valuation report, stating that the property IS in charge of the local authority. I'm just wondering why the valuer did that? Was it to tick a box for the bank in order to release funds? Or was he incompetent?

I will be contacting the council myself to get to the bottom of it

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Thank you. You've given me a lot of good info there. I will get investigating and will update

If you contact one of your local councillors they should be able to tell you if the council has taken responsibility for the roads, lights, sewers etc in your development.

He did tell us alright, but he said it wasn't an issue. Then read some stuff from a book and explained to us 'in layman's terms' that it meant that the council take it over no matter what.

What I meant re: box ticking was that the banks valuer literally ticked a box on the valuation report, stating that the property IS in charge of the local authority. I'm just wondering why the valuer did that? Was it to tick a box for the bank in order to release funds? Or was he incompetent?

I will be contacting the council myself to get to the bottom of it

I'm no expert but I don't think Councils will take over estates no matter what! There would nothing to make developers finish off estates properly if that was the case. When I was viewing houses earlier in the year I rang Building Control in the local authority and the Building Control Officer was able to list off the things that were wrong with two estates I was looking at before they'd be taken in charge.

If the valuer was an auctioneer local to the area it beggars belief that he wouldn't know that the estate wasn't taken in charge. Google will tell you this or a call to the local authority.

April 73 wrote: »
    If you contact one of your local councillors they should be able to tell you if the council has taken responsibility for the roads, lights, sewers etc in your development.

Thanks April. And thanks for your earlier post too. Both very helpful. Will contact local councillor immediately as can do this via email

Bananaleaf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I find it hard to believe believe that the estate is there 20 years and no one has taken it over, do you pay a yearly maintenance fee?... You can get a residence parking permit from the council to park on your road, it costs about €50 for the year.

I find it hard to believe believe that the estate is there 20 years and no one has taken it over, do you pay a yearly maintenance fee?... You can get a residence parking permit from the council to park on your road, it costs about €50 for the year.

I only moved in a week ago. We were not informed of a yearly maintenance fee or that there was a management company involved. As I said, the entire housing estate consists of 200 houses or so, some of which have driveways and some don't. For those that don't there are these marked out on-street spaces and then there are areas where you can parallel park on-street.

The strange thing is that the estate is very well kept. There are some potholes on the roads in parts, but for the lawns are tidy (I know it's winter), the roads are in good condition, the lamposts are all lit.

So, either the solicitor was wrong and the valuer is right and the estate IS in charge. Or, as you guys say, there is a management company at work and we have yet to be informed about this.

Would a management company exist for such a large development of housing though?

Currently in the middle of a Google search on the local authority and what they have in charge so will report back

Still reading through documents. 33 pages long and really want to understand all this, so might be a while. But I have come across this in the report by the Co Council
    In the case of many of the older estates not yet taken in charge, the Council eventually end up having to undertake the
    necessary repairs to the public infrastructure as the developer is either no longer trading or contactable.

So, seems that the solicitor was right in what he said, even if what he's saying is quite sneaky.

I genuinely didn't even realise this was something I needed to look into. From the gist of the report (only as far as pg 10 of 33) there seems to be a proposal in place to take all properties that aren't already into charge by the Co Council in question.

Heh - funny how my initial problem couldn't be further from my mind right now!!

• Advertisement

Still reading through documents. 33 pages long and really want to understand all this, so might be a while. But I have come across this in the report by the Co Council

So, seems that the solicitor was right in what he said, even if what he's saying is quite sneaky.

I genuinely didn't even realise this was something I needed to look into. From the gist of the report (only as far as pg 10 of 33) there seems to be a proposal in place to take all properties that aren't already into charge by the Co Council in question.

Heh - funny how my initial problem couldn't be further from my mind right now!!

I really wouldn't worry about it when the estate is so old. It will be fine. It's not your responsibility to know about this stuff - it's your solicitor's. Presumably the solicitor did tell the lender (assuming you have a mortgage) regardless of what the valuation report said and they were happy to release funds.

Advertisement