Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"That's my parking spac

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Vetch wrote: »
    I really wouldn't worry about it when the estate is so old. It will be fine. It's not your responsibility to know about this stuff - it's your solicitor's. Presumably the solicitor did tell the lender (assuming you have a mortgage) regardless of what the valuation report said and they were happy to release funds.

Yes, we have a mortgage. Thanks for the reply. Kind of want to know about it now anyway, seeing as I have bought the place. From my understanding of what I've read (which is a 5yr old report) the residents association would have been contacted by the council about making a request for the council to take the area in charge, if there was no management company. So, once I find out who is involved in the residents association, I will enquire with them whether that happened or not and they will hopefully have some news for me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yes, there are more than 5 houses so it would fit into that category in that respect, but this strip of houses is one part of a much larger estate which comprises of about 200 homes, built about 20years ago.
    Who looks after the 200 houses built 20 years ago?
    The strange thing is that the estate is very well kept. There are some potholes on the roads in parts, but for the lawns are tidy (I know it's winter), the roads are in good condition, the lamposts are all lit.
    If are quite a few potholes, I'd wager no-one will ever repair them.
    Still reading through documents. 33 pages long and really want to understand all this, so might be a while. But I have come across this in the report by the Co Council
    In the case of many of the older estates not yet taken in charge, the Council may eventually end up having to undertake the necessary repairs to the public infrastructure as the developer is either no longer trading or contactable.
    I inserted the word may, as doing so makes the sentence make sense. It also means that your estate may never get taken in charge!

Hi all - an update

Got a chance to talk at length to the neighbours this afternoon. Also got all my answers.

The estate is not in charge. The council are working to take it in charge. Neighbours told me not to expect this to happen any time soon as they have been waiting 20 years for this to happen. There is a residents association who look after the mowing and tidying and the local authority do sort things like lamps having to be replaced in lamposts and damage to roads. The council do want to take the area in charge but seem unable to do so at this moment. I've no idea what the next sentence means, but the expiry date for the bond is 'until taken in charge'.

With regard to the parking spaces they informed me that nobody owns the spaces. There is however a gentleman's agreement in place and we are now 100% clear about what has been allocated to us, but also understand that we don't 'own' our allocated space. ie: we won't be placing cones on it or anything, just happy to know the lie of the land and what not to do. They told me that the guy I was speaking to has come out with that 2 spaces line before - they think he must have been told that by the LL and they and the other neighbours the other side of him don't mind him taking the 2 spaces as he's a pleasant tenant and they had nightmare tenants in before him.

Felt great to speak to them and get the lowdown on what's what. Glad I moved out of the space now, sounds like it was the right thing to do given the situation.

@the_syco, yeah I understand it says 'may' - I wasn't quoting it to suggest that they must take it in charge, but this is obviously where my solicitor was basing the line he fed me.

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

have you got your own allocated parking space now

@the_syco, yeah I understand it says 'may' - I wasn't quoting it to suggest that they must take it in charge, but this is obviously where my solicitor was basing the line he fed me.
    Would it be prudent to get another solicitor to see what else the original solicitor may have missed, as you only found out that estate wasn't in charge because of a parking space; who knows what else you may find out down the road!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hi all - an update

Got a chance to talk at length to the neighbours this afternoon. Also got all my answers.

The estate is not in charge. The council are working to take it in charge. Neighbours told me not to expect this to happen any time soon as they have been waiting 20 years for this to happen. There is a residents association who look after the mowing and tidying and the local authority do sort things like lamps having to be replaced in lamposts and damage to roads. The council do want to take the area in charge but seem unable to do so at this moment. I've no idea what the next sentence means, but the expiry date for the bond is 'until taken in charge'.

With regard to the parking spaces they informed me that nobody owns the spaces. There is however a gentleman's agreement in place and we are now 100% clear about what has been allocated to us, but also understand that we don't 'own' our allocated space. ie: we won't be placing cones on it or anything, just happy to know the lie of the land and what not to do. They told me that the guy I was speaking to has come out with that 2 spaces line before - they think he must have been told that by the LL and they and the other neighbours the other side of him don't mind him taking the 2 spaces as he's a pleasant tenant and they had nightmare tenants in before him.

Felt great to speak to them and get the lowdown on what's what. Glad I moved out of the space now, sounds like it was the right thing to do given the situation.

thanks all

Glad you got sorted OP. If anything, your reply here highlights what the first option should be for most issues that appear in these forums which is to talk to your neighbours about the (potential) issues before doing anything drastic.

I’ve seen and been part of parking issues in my time, glad those days are over!

have you got your own allocated parking space now

Well, yes and no. No in the sense that nobody owns the spaces, so there is nothing to be allocated really. Yes in the sense that we have been made aware of the agreement that had been reached among the residents prior to us living here and we are happy with that as it is fair. Each household is allocated one of the parking spaces and there is a specific section of the on-street parking that each household has been using.

More importantly I have a very clear understanding of whose toes I would be treading on if I were to decide to park wherever I want.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Would it be prudent to get another solicitor to see what else the original solicitor may have missed, as you only found out that estate wasn't in charge because of a parking space; who knows what else you may find out down the road!

Well, no that's not exactly the case. I did know that the estate wasn't in charge prior to the parking space. My issue with the solicitor is that he told me that the property wasn't in charge but that it basically didn't make a blind bit of difference as the council were obliged to take care of it anyway.

What I discovered from this thread was that he solicitor had given me false information and that there could be a management company involved.But he did inform me that it wasn't taken in charge. I had no reason not to believe him to be honest as I was under the impression that the whole point in engaging their services was for them to inform you of potential problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In most cases ,theres a gentlemens agreement ,the person or persons who live in the house can park outside the house ,and has 1 or 2 spaces .
    You have no legal right to a space unless its on the deeds of your property.

In most case,s its a public space , unless the street has a ticket machine.
    In urban area,s . non residents have to buy a ticket to park there .
    Designated parking will usually have markings on the road , to
    indicate parking spaces .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

From the get-go I felt you did the right thing. Then you did more right things, researched and got yourself armed with the facts. This type of thing can explode in to the mother of all feuds and you just moved in!! Best of luck in your new house.

as the council were obliged to take care of it anyway.
    Sorry, I missed the link pointing that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have to say the whole one space gentlemans agreement thing is a bit weird. It sounds like the sort of thing proposed by the sort of person who volunteers to run a residents association.

What happens when you have visitors by car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Lumen wrote: »
    I have to say the whole one space gentlemans agreement thing is a bit weird. It sounds like the sort of thing proposed by the sort of person who volunteers to run a residents association.

Or tradesmen? Find this a bit odd as well. I've just moved out of somewhere with communal parking. Everyone just parked wherever and you'd never be that far from the front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The fact that this thread generated nearly 100 replies in a short time, it emphasises how much of an issue this is for Irish people.

Do our planning regulations need to factor these issues in? It's not really working well in a terraced town house type setup to have unallocated parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

myshirt wrote: »
    The fact that this thread generated nearly 100 replies in a short time, it emphasises how much of an issue this is for Irish people.

Do our planning regulations need to factor these issues in? It's not really working well in a terraced town house type setup to have unallocated parking spaces.

Parking is an issue in every urban area worldwide. It's a real tragedy of the commons issue.

Lumen wrote: »

Well, the whole reason I ended up parked in this guys 'space' is that visitors (to that row of houses, not to the guys house though) were parked on-street outside my house.

I don't think the gentlemans agreement is odd at all. What else are the residents supposed to do?

The neighbours told me that it was something suggested and agreed upon by the row of houses, but as I pointed out in the update, they told me that while that's the agreement, nobody really owns any of the spaces, so I am entitled to park wherever I want.

Why would I do this though, when there is a fair agreement in place? Well, it was done to you the other night, you may say. I don't really care about having an allocated space anyway, to be honest, because from renting a townhouse for the last 6years I know it means feck all anyway. Once I've a space somewhere to park and I'm not being shooed out of it, I don't have an issue. Note, I didn't start this thread to moan that someone had taken 'my spot', my problem was being moved on when a free space existed.

There are other opportunities for parking in the estate (long strips of kerbside along walls with no houses in front) further from our house for if we have visitors. We rarely ever have visitors that are not collected from their homes (our parents), from the area or arrive by public transport anyway, so for us it won't be an issue, but I take your point nevertheless.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No, the spaces this guy commandeers are two different spaces. Not the one we have been allocated. We have a space. However, it's not a space that's been empty the whole week we have been here, so someone else has been parking in it. And why shouldn't they if the space is free and they need somewhere to park?

The neighbors told me that the agreement was reached with previous owners of properties around them, so I assume that unless the rest of the newer owners/tenants have been informed/asked, then they mightn't know.

Obviously, if the same situation occurs again, I will have to deal with it differently. If his 'spaces' are the only places free, I will have to take one and will have to deal with the situation again, let him know I was speaking to other neighbours, suggest he contact the landlord etc. But I would rather it didn't come to that as I don't like confrontation

myshirt wrote: »

I don't know how you could avoid it at a time when all the talk is of not making these 'one-off builds' or large driveways. If people want more homes being built then something will have to give.

Also, not speaking of my own issue, but in a lot of cases parking issues are simply down to really bad manners. I've never lived in a property with a driveway, except for my parents house.

Possibly the worst parking story I have was when I was heading to work one morning, was in the car and was about to drive out of the space, when a woman came and parked across me, blocking my exit. I waited a second to see would she move right off immediately, but she got out of the car. Convinced she didn't see me I got out of the car and said 'sorry, excuse me'
    That was as far as I got before she turned and shouted at me, will you wait, I'm going to the post office and dropping this one to school. She was very aggressive.
    For those interested, I told her I couldn't wait, had to be in work, to which she replied 'Jesus Christ', jumped in the car, slammed door and moved it forward a small bit, giving me just about the space to get out and also blocking a second car. As I drove out I couldn't help but notice all the other free, but further way from the post office, spaces she could have chosen.

My point is that, in my experience, when it comes to parking spaces, especially in rural towns where people such as myself are blow-ins, everybody thinks they're the Bull McCabe.

There were also double yellow lines and a disabled parking space around said post office, but sure everyone in the town still parked wherever they wanted, they didn't give a rats ass.

The only thing in planning that can solve that is building driveways onto houses, and with space at a premium in some areas, I'm not sure how they would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The only thing in planning that can solve that is building driveways onto houses, and with space at a premium in some areas, I'm not sure how they would do that.
    Planning can also solve the problem by creating communities where every household doesn't need two or three or more cars to survive - communities where public transport is easily accessible and integrated, communities with decent walking routes and cycling routes to provide alternatives, communities with basic facilities like schools and shops within walking distance.
    If the 'they' you are referring to is me (the OP) then had you read my posts you will know that I did investigate what we owned according to the boundary map. We don't own the parking spaces.
    What I didn't say was that we did check out what the parking was like in the area before buying and during the bidding process and we were happy with what we observed over that time.

Also, I don't like the tone of your post. I have been saving a long time to get a deposit together for a property in the area I wanted (not Dublin by the way) and I'd love a bigger house with a driveway, but I can't afford it. How dare you suggest that people such as myself buy these properties because we are selfish and careless. We buy them because it's what we can afford. Would the more sensible thing have been to mortgage the ar$e off myself? Instead of being realistic?
    Jesus, at a time when housing has never been more of an issue, only on an online forum can people be criticised for wanting to live within their means :confused::confused:

And why wouldn't you expect to be able to store your car in a public space when you pay car tax? In order for a car to be permitted onto public roads it has to be taxed. Therefore, if public spaces exist,why couldn't they be used?
    It wasn't specifically directed at you. It was directed at anyone who expects public space to be made available for storing their private property.

You seem to be confused about motor tax. It is nothing to do with parking. It is a charge to cover some of the damage caused by the emissions from your car. It doesn't come anywhere near covering this cost, but it is a start. It is nothing to do with parking rights.

Let's say that my hobby is collecting lawnmowers. Can I stamp my feet and throw a tantrum about needing public space to store my lawnmowers, just because I've paid VAT on their purchase?

It's a ridiculous idea that we've let happen in our communities, where large amounts of public space are given over to one particular group of citizens for no good reason. Free parking is killing our cities.

Planning can also solve the problem by creating communities where every household doesn't need two or three or more cars to survive - communities where public transport is easily accessible and integrated, communities with decent walking routes and cycling routes to provide alternatives, communities with basic facilities like schools and shops within walking distance.

It wasn't specifically directed at you. It was directed at anyone who expects public space to be made available for storing their private property.

You seem to be confused about motor tax. It is nothing to do with parking. It is a charge to cover some of the damage caused by the emissions from your car. It doesn't come anywhere near covering this cost, but it is a start. It is nothing to do with parking rights.

Let's say that my hobby is collecting lawnmowers. Can I stamp my feet and throw a tantrum about needing public space to store my lawnmowers, just because I've paid VAT on their purchase?

It's a ridiculous idea that we've let happen in our communities, where large amounts of public space are given over to one particular group of citizens for no good reason. Free parking is killing our

Fair point about the public transport.

I guess, if no free parking was available to residents, then you would probably have less houses being built without driveways.
    If parking on the street was to be provided, then it would have to be properly supplied, maintained (would it also have to be monitored?)
    It might not be worth the hassle for the councils/govt, but I appreciate your point. Even something as simple as a 50€ permit for the year wouldn't cripple people financially for example.

On a kind of related point, I noticed an advertisement for homeowners in the Bray area who are renting out their own driveway space to people working in Dublin who don't want to pay to park in there.

Edit - thanks for the video. Interesting points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Interesting thread. Myself and the OH will be renting in Dublin at some point next year and a car parking space is essential. During the latest search I notice a lot of places either don't have parking at all or it's "communal". There seems to have been a lot of developments erected over the last decade or so with no proper parking in place. The last thing I want is friction over car park spaces and/or driving home from work to find all the spots taken and nowhere at all to park around me.

The latest apartment building regulations doing away with the need for dedicated parking is a complete FU to people. No matter how good public transport is (and it isnt), you absolutely need a car IMO. What we're going to find over the next few decades is apartment blocks with nowhere to park and a huge premium on developments with parking.

I really don't want the hassle of fighting over parking spaces. Is it common in Dublin?

• Advertisement

in apartment blocks built before 2016, i think the builder had to provide 2 spaces for each apartment .
    So i don,t see a problem with communal parking spaces .
    IF parking is very important to you you have the choice
    of renting a house with a driveway, or rent an apartment with a large area set aside for parking .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Who da hell would find the common gentlemans agreement out of place in any estate..
    Why would most people understand such an arrangement, yet you always find one maybe two residents in a group of about 15 who decide this so called gentlemans agreement doesn't exist!?
    It does exist and it should be adhered to by all residents, for a peaceful happy neighbourhood...
    We all have enough to be dealing with in our work lives etc. Without thinking about coming home and dealing with the sad depressed stickin his chest out neighbour who might be parking in 'my' spot when I get home....

Why would a neighbour park in front of your house,
    unless someone else has parked in front of his house,
    most houses would have space for 1- 2 cars in front.
    Unless you live in a house in a terrace.

This problem happens more where there might be 3 people living in a
    rented house and they need 3 parking spaces .
    Most people like to park in front of their home where they can see the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

riclad wrote: »
    in apartment blocks built before 2016, i think the builder had to provide 2 spaces for each apartment .

Not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This makes me laugh because my old housemate used to go ballistic over this, there was a guy a few doors down who for some reason loved parking right outside our front door. No idea why, but he always did. It was obviously communal parking though so the housemate said nothing other than being very annoyed by it but I found it really strange.

Eventually my housemate used to run downstairs the second your man would pull out in the evenings to go to the shop or whatever and reverse his car into the space....so the guy was arriving back a few minutes later to find the car that had been parked opposite him moved into the space in the ten minutes he was gone. Eventually he copped on and stopped parking there.

Advertisement