Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk of snow tonight (29th/30th) - Ulster, Leinster, Connaught

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

coconnellz wrote: »
    Had to drive through bailiborough a very scary drive indeed at least 5-7cm of lying snow even down to low levels!

Yeah, Bailieboro always gets it. Second highest town in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just went outside for ten minutes and with a wind change from SW to WNW temps rose 4c. It was strange, there was a whooshing noise from the sky as the change came in, no precip though. You could hear all the roofs expand and creak.

Interestingly, my temp sensor has faulted again and now records -64c. Replacement came today, so will fit tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Six degrees rise in 30 minutes, the majority of it in 15 minutes, now at 10.4c up from 4.4c. (corrected the -64c error)

temp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Shame we had very low precipitation in Castlebar tonight, it has stayed between 0.5C and -1C for the last 6 hours and the dp has been steady at -2C.

The brief flurry provided such a tease and similar conditions produced a good show before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

10 degrees in Limerick. Between the heat, the Gale and the rain all night I can't sleep. Well sick of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Altitude was key last night. There was 1 cm of lying snow at Knock (200 m) this morning. In the North, only two stations reported lying snow; Lough Fea (225 m) had 7 cm and Glennane (161 m) had 3 cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The forecast was broadly in line with events (snowfall a little further north but not by much), as was Met E's warnings.

Not a bad days work.

To look at the models (especially the ICON) last night it looked like 1/3 of the country was in for a pasting of snow to all levels. I don't mean the sleety watery nonsense that briefly fell beteeen the rain, I mean proper dry snow. A few people reported some brief falls but for the majority it was rain and sleet. Only Ballyhaise reported snow at midnight, but before and after it was rain and drizzle. Obviously snow fell and accumulated at Knock. The north fared better, with a few hourly reports of snow, but the only accumulations were at the two highest stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To look at the models (especially the ICON) last night it looked like 1/3 of the country was in for a pasting of snow to all levels. I don't mean the sleety watery nonsense that briefly fell beteeen the rain, I mean proper dry snow. A few people reported some brief falls but for the majority it was rain and sleet. Only Ballyhaise reported snow at midnight, but before and after it was rain and drizzle. Obviously snow fell and accumulated at Knock. The north fared better, with a few hourly reports of snow, but the only accumulations were at the two highest stations.

It's not true that accumulations were only at two stations. There were plenty of reports (and photos) of accumulations elsewhere and at sea level - of course temporary - no one said it would be any other way.

Forecast was quite good in my opinion.

Onward and upward:)

It's not true that accumulations were only at two stations. There were plenty of reports (and photos) of accumulations elsewhere and at sea level - of course temporary - no one said it would be any other way.

Forecast was quite good in my opinion.

Onward and upward:)

I'm not dissing your forecast, which was fairly on the money, but the photos of nice snow that I saw were from Glencullen and Roundwood. Places like Balieborough. Elsewhere any accumulations at lower levels seemed to be wet and slushy. I had heavy sleety rain here which actually did accumulate a sloppy wet layer of icy slush on my car, but there was no snow. Just up the road to my west, highdef, who I think is higher up than I am, had snow. That's why I say altitude was key, but to look at the chart below you'd have expected more.

437359.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Saw a pic of snow in stepaside last night

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Had about 4cm snow here cookstown wouldn't classify my location as particularly high.

Still snow on ground now but don't know how to attach images on this site yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

booferking wrote: »
    Had about 4cm snow here cookstown wouldn't classify my location as particularly high.

http://tinypic.com/

:)

booferking wrote: »

Cookstown is >100 m and yes, the North did fare better than the South.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I didn't think last nights event would have produced some snow here but it did. Yesterday wasn't really that cold, and when the front arrived it started off as some very heavy rain. Took about 25 minutes for it to turn to sleet, then snow resulting in about half an inch of lying snow.

I reckon the snow was only heavy for about 20 minutes, amazed it stuck at all considering how wet everywhere was. Then after the heavy stuff, about 40 minutes of graupel, followed by the thaw and sudden rise in temperatures and lots more rain.

We had a covering for about 2 to 3 hours, was very nice to look at, was the first snow I've seen at my location all winter, shame it just couldn't last into today. Hopefully it won't be the only snow I'll see all winter!.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Yes cookstown is 68asl to 76asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yeah, Bailieboro always gets it. Second highest town in Ireland.
    The main Street is barely above 150m. I can't imagine it being the second highest town on the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kermit and Met Eireann were right. I, and a lot of others, who ruled out any snow at lower levels were wrong.
    I was amazed to see sleet and then snow falling when i was alerted to it because the temperature prior to the start of the rain had risen to 6c.

It only snowed for 30 minutes but we had a decent dusting by the end of it.

As someone said earlier ninja snow is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Roundwood and Meelin are the two highest I think, although they would be classified as villages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Kermit and Met Eireann were right. I, and a lot of others, who ruled out any snow at lower levels were wrong.
    I was amazed to see sleet and then snow falling when i was alerted to it because the temperature prior to the start of the rain had risen to 6c.

It only snowed for 30 minutes but we had a decent dusting by the end of it.

As someone said earlier ninja snow is the best.

last night was a weird one alright. The temps here climbed from 4C to 5C before the rain started so seemed the game was over before it even started, with no hope of even sleet, then the temperature tumbled and one hour of snow. Strange to get a rain to snow then back to rain front.

• Advertisement

When I talk of snow I mean snow and only snow. Not interested in transient slop. There's no point in getting 30 minutes of wet snow when it doesn't hang around through the night. It's more a nuisance than anything else.

I remember early January and early February 1991 we had some proper snow in the east. Proper Scandi high easterly, with a low sliding westwards from the continent. Hours of heavy snowfall after school. Again in February '94 and I think November that year. Also 1987, 1986, 1983, ... Apart from 2010 I can't remember the last time I had proper lying snow for more than a few hours. This time 2000 was I think the last. I went flying and remember the job I had de-icing the wings with my bare hands... Jagged ice on a frozen day...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

To demonstrate how fine a line it was for sticking snow last night, I went for a short walk with the dog shortly after midnight. From the lowest point in the village to where I turned around about 2/3 up the hill, the surface of the road went from pure slush to about an inch of wet but regular looking snow. The roads are very quiet at night where I live and it's not unusual to have no car pass for over an hour at night time so any lying snow was still undisturbed when I was out. I went from about 85m to 120m in about three minutes walking....25m was all it took to go from slush on the road to actual snow on the road. Had I gone to the top of the hill going the other way, I'd say there would have been several inches lying there, easily. That would have been at just under 150m and that hill is known for having its own little cold climate.... You drive through a cutting at the side of this hill after you pass the M4 toll plaza heading west bound, between junctions 8 and 9, with the hill being to your left... There's a big telecoms mast at the summit.

When I talk of snow I mean snow and only snow. Not interested in transient slop. There's no point in getting 30 minutes of wet snow when it doesn't hang around through the night. It's more a nuisance than anything else.

I, too, would love a seven hour snowfall with 8 inches of accumulated snow, and a freeze for a few days afterwards, unfortunately though these are rare events for us. That said i would still prefer to have fleeting snowfall than none at all .
    Also what made last night interesting was the great contrast in temperature on this tiny Island, and the story just told by the last poster, these are a few of the reasons i will always find snow and the chase for it fascinating

I suppose if I lived in a climate where every year we were guaranteed falls of snow akin to 2000, 2010, 82, i might not be as fascinated by snow as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I suppose if I lived in a climate where every year we were guaranteed falls of snow akin to 2000, 2010, 82, i might not be as fascinated by snow as I am.

I think you still would be. And I think the climate of Iceland or Norway would be suited to you. Much the same as I if I lived in a country that saw regular thunderstorms every year. I certainly would not become bored of them over time; though the intense heat that is needed to produce them would probably drive me nuts. Hard to find a happy medium.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

I have cousins in Minnesota. They are moving to Texas next year. Can't take anymore deep cold and snow. Sick of it. As you say the fact we see so little snow only deepens the fascination. 3/4 days of lying snow already this year in Mayo. Happy enough.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think you still would be. And I think the climate of Iceland or Norway would be suited to you. Much the same as I if I lived in a country that saw regular thunderstorms every year. I certainly would not become bored of them over time; though the intense heat that is needed to produce them would probably drive me nuts. Hard to find a happy medium.

Perhaps. Although even if I could live there, it just wouldn't be the same as seeing snow at home. So I do understand where you are coming from about being more interested in the weather where you live rather than in Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

2nd snow event for me last night this year. Amazing how how a bit of elevation changes the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I always thought the same myself, I'd get excited by even a couple of distant rumbles at home but after spending a lot of time in the Asian tropics over the past few years I pretty much became immune to thunderstorms. When it becomes a daily event for weeks on end eventually it stops being exciting and you just stop noticing it. I still loved watching a good intense storm but it's nowhere near as exciting as even a weak thunderstorm here in Ireland.

Never lived in a snowy climate but I assume the same would be true, it's the rarity and anticipation that's half the fun of weather watching in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

In fairness now,you can never be certain about something you haven’t experienced yet
    Ergo you might actually find the 4077th thunderstorm a pain :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Would there be snow left on any of the Wicklow Mountains? Thinking of taking a spin up today

Advertisement