Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time purchasing a car

Options
  • 29-12-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi there. I'm just looking for some advice regarding purchasing my first car. I have two different cars I'm looking at - Mini Cooper & Nissan Micra. The years I'll be looking to buy will be between 131-151 (aiming high I know but I work hard). I don't want to buy a cheap little car because they usually cost more in the end in terms of servicing and getting parts. I want a half decent first car.

Which would be the better of the two in terms of being reliable, petrol costs, tax, insurance, buying parts if needs be.

I am expecting my insurance to be through the roof anyway (no pun intended) because I'm a 22 year old girl and this will be my first car. I have been given a quote of €2,300 for insurance. My budget for the car alone is €8,000- €10,000.

Hope someone can help me out in some way ��

Ive been driving for a year and have been driving a Nissan Juke (mums car)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

daisyos1 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm just looking for some advice regarding purchasing my first car. I have two different cars I'm looking at - Mini Cooper & Nissan Micra. The years I'll be looking to buy will be between 131-151 (aiming high I know but I work hard). I don't want to buy a cheap little car because they usually cost more in the end in terms of servicing and getting parts. I want a half decent first car.

Which would be the better of the two in terms of being reliable, petrol costs, tax, insurance, buying parts if needs be.

I am expecting my insurance to be through the roof anyway (no pun intended) because I'm a 22 year old girl and this will be my first car. I have been given a quote of €2,300 for insurance. My budget for the car alone is €8,000- €10,000.

Hope someone can help me out in some way 😊

Cheap doesn't always mean unreliable when it comes to cars.

Cheap one will have lesser comfort/toys/brand image/quality interior in most cases.

Like your options here. Micra is at the cheaper end of the scale while a mini would be much more expensive option at same age. That doesn't make mini more reliable though. Micra and Mini are hardly alternatives to each other design, running costs and quality wise as well.

I would look at all options suitable for first time driver/insurance and pick couple of model you like. Then ask about particular models if they are good reliable cars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Micra of that era was very dated, the current model is miles ahead, I'd look at a Yaris as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Mini will kill your wallet on insurance as a first car, between the two, and keeping in mind it's your first car, the micra would make more sense in my opinion, if you can afford to run it though, the mini is much more rewarding to drive. 

I would look at similar age Renault Clio as well, they're quite decent cars for the money, engines should be reliable, and quality has improved massively on this model compared to the previous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t know how you ended up with that shortlist. The micra is one of the least desirable car in a class below the mini. There’s so much middle ground in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Micra is a toy. Mini is not.
    Everything will be cheap with the micra from running costs to quality of the product. Mini will not be so cheap but far more quality about it.
    Micra will make you sad everyday. Mini will not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

If it's your first car, the chances are that you aren't an experienced driver?

If you're not an experienced driver:

- you won't have developed expectations regarding performance, handling, comfort, whistles and bells. You could start with a basic car and get plenty of kicks just from it being your first car (vs. what you did before to get around). Why go straight to the top and miss out the enjoyment along the way?

- you are more likely to have bumps and bangs. You'll feel a lot less upset scratching up a cheaper, basic car than you will dinging something more expensive. Get miles up under your belt in something fitting to that purpose.

- I wouldn't personally drive a very small car - experienced driver or no. All things being equal, you're better off in a collision with a heavier car than a lighter car.

- unless you've money to burn I wouldn't be spending that kind of money on a first car. You can get low mileage stuff, picking out something reliable, for a lot less that 8-10K. Run it for a few years then upgrade to something tastier with the money you're planning on spending now.

Id start with something like a Suzuki Swift for around €4K

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Id start with something like a Suzuki Swift for around €4K

Agree with that.ultra reliable and sporty enough to drive.had a loan for a day from garage while waiting on repair and found it a great car-would certainly see it as better value than a micra which are overpriced imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daisyos1

Agree with that.ultra reliable and sporty enough to drive.had a loan for a day from garage while waiting on repair and found it a great car-would certainly see it as better value than a micra which are overpriced imo.

Yeh I find the micra is a bit over priced. The interior is putting me off and apparently the seats of Nissan micras can't be adjusted in height. Which is no good for me as I'm 5ft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

You'll probably find a decent Honda Civic at that price. Very reliable, not too big or cumbersome but plenty of room inside and a nice place to be. Think they have aged quite well also.

But as others have said there are lots of decent options in your price range, 10k is a lot of money, be sure you'll be happy with whatever you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I would look at ford fiesta also, great little car and really nice to drive, I only recently drove the 1.0 100 ps ecoboost one I really liked it, I have driven my mates 1.25 also before too not quite as nippy as the ecoboost but towards my Corsa it was alot better to drive,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What about a Prius? That was what I was looking at when I was thinking of going second hand, but I couldn't get one below €8,000 but you'd need to come down on the years. Decent on the fuel, cheaper tax and still a practical size without being too big. Does the Mini not have a reputation for being problematic and expensive to repair?
    If it's your first car, the chances are that you aren't an experienced driver?

If you're not an experienced driver:

- you won't have developed expectations regarding performance, handling, comfort, whistles and bells. You could start with a basic car and get plenty of kicks just from it being your first car (vs. what you did before to get around). Why go straight to the top and miss out the enjoyment along the way?

- you are more likely to have bumps and bangs. You'll feel a lot less upset scratching up a cheaper, basic car than you will dinging something more expensive. Get miles up under your belt in something fitting to that purpose.

- I wouldn't personally drive a very small car - experienced driver or no. All things being equal, you're better off in a collision with a heavier car than a lighter car.

- unless you've money to burn I wouldn't be spending that kind of money on a first car. You can get low mileage stuff, picking out something reliable, for a lot less that 8-10K. Run it for a few years then upgrade to something tastier with the money you're planning on spending now.

I'd give her the benefit and say if she's looking to spend that much money, and as she says she works hard, then she's a fairly competent driver. She's been driving her mam's Juke so she's likely comfortable behind the wheel. Also a lot of people, myself included, aren't fond of a cheaper car without at least a few bells and whistles.

Driving someone else's car gives you a bit of discipline. I spent 8 months in my mam's i30 and although I'm comfortable behind the wheel I still made sure to be extra careful as to not scratch it.
    You'll probably find a decent Honda Civic at that price. Very reliable, not too big or cumbersome but plenty of room inside and a nice place to be. Think they have aged quite well also.

But as others have said there are lots of decent options in your price range, 10k is a lot of money, be sure you'll be happy with whatever you get.

Is insurance not an issue with Civics? I've seen a few people on her talk about ditching them due to insurance costs, madness because they seem to have a reputation for reliability and being good on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have no experience of Micra but know plenty of people who had minis in their 20s. Yes lovely car to look at etc but very unreliable. Expensive enough to repair aswell compare to say Micra, Corsa etc. Your insurance will also be huge with mini compared to other car. I'd look at civic + fiesta as others have said nice cars to start out with.

Sadly the Civic is still loaded by insurance companies. Mine went up when I changed from a 3.0 Jaguar, I’m still paying €550 despite being claim free for 18 years and having no points. That was by far the cheapest quote I got with most companies being over €1k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sadly the Civic is still loaded by insurance companies. Mine went up when I changed from a 3.0 Jaguar, I’m still paying €550 despite being claim free for 18 years and having no points. That was by far the cheapest quote I got with most companies being over €1k

Thats crazy what's the logic behind this? They are hardly seen as boy racer cars anymore? Would have thought insuring the 1.4 petrol would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'd go with the poster who suggested a Toyota Yaris.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What about a Prius? That was what I was looking at when I was thinking of going second hand, but I couldn't get one below €8,000 but you'd need to come down on the years. Decent on the fuel, cheaper tax and still a practical size without being too big. Does the Mini not have a reputation for being problematic and expensive to repair?

I'd give her the benefit and say if she's looking to spend that much money, and as she says she works hard, then she's a fairly competent driver. She's been driving her mam's Juke so she's likely comfortable behind the wheel. Also a lot of people, myself included, aren't fond of a cheaper car without at least a few bells and whistles.

Driving someone else's car gives you a bit of discipline. I spent 8 months in my mam's i30 and although I'm comfortable behind the wheel I still made sure to be extra careful as to not scratch it.

Is insurance not an issue with Civics? I've seen a few people on her talk about ditching them due to insurance costs, madness because they seem to have a reputation for reliability and being good on fuel.

Thank you. Yes I do have a lot of experience now, my mum is trusting me to drive her 161 Nissan Juke. So I think that says a lot and does make you respect the car more that's why I want to spend a decent amount on it.

Thats crazy what's the logic behind this? They are hardly seen as boy racer cars anymore? Would have thought insuring the 1.4 petrol would be ok.

Don’t know what the logic is tbh. Now fair enough mine is 1.8 but even the 1.4 is more expensive than the likes of a Focus/Golf/Astra/whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Which year Yaris would you recommend? They are quite pricey

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It's not necessarily that it's a boy racer car but if the insurer has had a lot of claims with civics then they will charge more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

As a cheaper alternative to the Honda Civic, would be to look at the Honda Jazz, a class below the civic, and comparable to the Yaris. Insurance and running costs are fairly cheap.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Op, what size car do you need or want? Number of doors, etc? Do you need alot of room, big boot, etc?

Maybe something like a Fiat 500 if you don't need rear doors or much space:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9b4f8682a0df5bff9d279695b90ad6d03.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1897685&r=s.php%3Fm%3D25%26o%3D218%26r%3D2014%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

bazz26 wrote: »
    Op, what size car do you need or want? Number of doors, etc? Do you need alot of room, big boot, etc?

I'd rather a small car. Preferably with 5 doors as I'd be carting around a few people so a bit of space inside is probably best.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

I'd rather a small car. Preferably with 5 doors as I'd be carting around a few people so a bit of space inside is probably best.
    My sister recently purchased a 2006 Mini, convertible too. It was her first car, although she'd been driving as a named driver for years.

We looked at lots of ****ty cars in person after viewing them online, in poor condition when seeing them in the flesh. We viewed one and it was perfect, one lady owner, 60,000kms. She's not looked backed since, but it could easily go another way. She spent 5k. Insurance was about 1.2k, however that's including a discount for being a midwife.

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Which year Yaris would you recommend? They are quite pricey

Tks
    It's hard to recommend the more modern Yaris. The first gen in 1999 was pretty unique because of the way it was packaged, the safety (relatively speaking) it had, the engine was very modern. As the generations of Yariss replaced it, they became less quirky and the change to the 3 cylinder 1.0 (which is the big seller in Ireland, despite the 1.33 being the same to tax) means the car is unrefined and noisey.

So many cars out there outdo the Yaris for less money.

Fiesta is probably the best value in that class used. Aim for the 80bhp 1.25 engine which is a lovely engine, later 1.25 engines were detuned to 59bhp and aren't worth bothering with. I think the change to 59bhp happened in 2013.

That would rule out the MINI so as practicality is not something they are known for unless you go for one for the Countryman version which are probably outside your price range.

A Suzuki Swift as suggested already is a good call:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1877422&r=s.php%3Fm%3D85%26o%3D713%26r%3D2014%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1843731&r=s.php%3Fm%3D85%26o%3D713%26r%3D2014%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What about the Hyundai i20 or Kia Rio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I worked for a dealership many years ago and they were doing a job on my car so I borrowed a Mini Cooper from them. Lovely car I even considered buying one of them. But the image thing, for me, didn't work. I was a mid 20s large hairy rugby player but for a 22 year old girl I'd defo recommend a mini.

My mother has always had Micras but I can't stand being in it or driving it. Very very basic motoring.

The mini will cost you more for everything without a doubt but so much nicer. Watch the movie The Italian Job from the 2000s and if you don't settle on a Mini straight after that I'd be shocked!!

Instead of mini Cooper I suggest looking at mini One. Could save you a few quid.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What about the Hyundai i20 or Kia Rio?

Thanks. I never thought of the i20!

Advertisement