Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time purchasing a car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daisyos1

I worked for a dealership many years ago and they were doing a job on my car so I borrowed a Mini Cooper from them. Lovely car I even considered buying one of them. But the image thing, for me, didn't work. I was a mid 20s large hairy rugby player but for a 22 year old girl I'd defo recommend a mini.

My mother has always had Micras but I can't stand being in it or driving it. Very very basic motoring.

The mini will cost you more for everything without a doubt but so much nicer. Watch the movie The Italian Job from the 2000s and if you don't settle on a Mini straight after that I'd be shocked!!

Instead of mini Cooper I suggest looking at mini One. Could save you a few quid.

Yeh I think the mini would suit me. I am quite small too, don't know if that makes much of a difference while buying a car! That's the thing turning me off the micra - it is very basic. I'd rather have a bit of fun driving my car everyday. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Be careful of the Mini. They are not as reliable as people think.

The majority of the ones you will be looking at actually have a Peugeot engine. French reliability and BMW servicing costs when it goes wrong.

Suzuki swift a good shout. Or if you want good basic motoring you cant really go wrong with a Dacia Sandero. €10,000 new. Reliability iffy, but comes with a 5 year warranty that will cover you. Just sell it when it runs out.

Edit - Just saw your post above looking for a car that is a bit of fun. Forget the Dacia so lol. Suzuki swift, or Fiat 500 is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If you're 5ft, then maybe a little height is needed. Why not a juke for yourself too.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    If you're 5ft, then maybe a little height is needed. Why not a juke for yourself too.

Ive been considering a Juke too but can't seem to find any within my price and year range unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You should be able to get a 2012/2013 Juke within budget.

What about an Audi A1. It is basically a Polo underneath it all, but is arguably a cool little car. You would only get a 2011, possibly 2012 within budget (which is a lot for a 5/6 year old small car)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You should be able to get a 2012/2013 Juke within budget.

What about an Audi A1. It is basically a Polo underneath it all, but is arguably a cool little car. You would only get a 2011, possibly 2012 within budget (which is a lot for a 5/6 year old small car)

I do like the Audi a1, really sporty! Would you be better buying from a car dealer?

in your case and with your budget - yes I would say buy from a dealer. A proper one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Opel Corsa is one of the best around - in overall terms. Reliable, built to last and spacious. Look at a 2012-13 1.2 litre(85b.h.p) petrol version.

Not sure if serious ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Brand new Dacia Sandero for 11k

Fine car

Will do you for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Opel Corsa is one of the best around - in overall terms. Reliable, built to last and spacious. Look at a 2012-13 1.2 litre(85b.h.p) petrol version.

latest?cb=20130819142928

chicorytip wrote:

colm_mcm wrote:
    Not sure if serious ^

Serious? But of course I am! I see no compelling evidence that undermines my assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Serious? But of course I am! I see no compelling evidence that undermines my assertion.

They are poor tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They are poor tbh.

I have owned one for 3 years and apart from a couple of new tyres and a brake pad change, it's been perfect, not exactly the best drivers car in the world or the most fun but zero things went seeing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

What ever you do don't buy an OPEL CORSA! Omg this was my first car. An absolute pile of junk. I wouldn't mind but wasn't even doing that much mileage back then + still a nightmare. When the head gasset went that was it.

appledrop wrote: »
    What ever you do don't buy an OPEL CORSA! Omg this was my first car. An absolute pile of junk. I wouldn't mind but wasn't even doing that much mileage back then + still a nightmare. When the head gasset went that was it.

Thank you, that's good to know! I'm a bit clueless when it comes to cars so this wont be on my list to have a look at then :)

appledrop wrote:

What year was yours? Certainly, the older models gave trouble but the current version (2007-) is a much different and better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yes it was an older model but still I wouldn't go near any opel ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Mazda 2 (2015). It's attractive, fun to drive, reliable and there isn't a million of them on the road.

Edit: Actually might be a bit out of price range

What year was yours? Certainly, the older models gave trouble but the current version (2007-) is a much different and better car.

They are still poor though. Like other Vauxhall/opels there have been reports of these self combusting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

What's the Skoda Fabia like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Basics: Either get a mechanic you trust to thoroughly check out the car or go to a local dealer with a reputation for standing over his vehicles. I really wouldn't recommend buying privately.

With a car that age I'd say the service history should be easy to check, this will also conform the mileage. If it's a UK import , you need the UK reg, their records are much better than ours and will verify history and mileage .

Most entry level cars would be suitable. I'd say a Cooper isn't entry level and will be expensive.(Think of it as a small BMW) Mini One , as suggested, would be more practical but still not really entry level.

A lot of opinions of various cars you hear will be based on prejudice and should be ignored. Get a professional on your side as in first paragraph

SATSUMA wrote: »
    What's the Skoda Fabia like?

Hateful!

It's not a bad car, but it's deliberately austere so as not to directly compete with the Polo.
    They feel very solid, they're quiet, and all that, but you wouldn't look back it as you walk in the front door of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's hard to recommend the more modern Yaris. The first gen in 1999 was pretty unique because of the way it was packaged, the safety (relatively speaking) it had, the engine was very modern. As the generations of Yariss replaced it, they became less quirky and the change to the 3 cylinder 1.0 (which is the big seller in Ireland, despite the 1.33 being the same to tax) means the car is unrefined and noisey.

So many cars out there outdo the Yaris for less money.

Fiesta is probably the best value in that class used. Aim for the 80bhp 1.25 engine which is a lovely engine, later 1.25 engines were detuned to 59bhp and aren't worth bothering with. I think the change to 59bhp happened in 2013.

Yes the latest Yaris is way off the pace and class best. And now they've done the old Toyota trick of face-lifting it, making it far uglier and more bland than the original. It wasn't a bad little looker (for a Toyota) in 2012, now it's awful.
    Expensive, tinny, underpowered and as you say unrefined.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Daisyos1

Cool, calm and collected: The driver of the Mini that took on Storm Eleanor says it was a 'walk in the park'

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storms/cool-calm-and-collected-the-driver-of-the-mini-that-took-on-storm-eleanor-says-it-was-a-walk-in-the-park-36455718.html

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Daisyos1

Cool, calm and collected: The driver of the Mini that took on Storm Eleanor says it was a 'walk in the park'

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storms/cool-calm-and-collected-the-driver-of-the-mini-that-took-on-storm-eleanor-says-it-was-a-walk-in-the-park-36455718.html

Amazing haha!! That's the mini sold

road_high wrote: »
    Yes the latest Yaris is way off the pace and class best. And now they've done the old Toyota trick of face-lifting it, making it far uglier and more bland than the original. It wasn't a bad little looker (for a Toyota) in 2012, now it's awful.
    Expensive, tinny, underpowered and as you say unrefined.

I would rather cycle a bike for the rest of my life than drive a Yaris! 😂

daisyos1 wrote: »

Yet you are considering a nissan micra? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Of both them cars the mini by far.
    They are a brilliant drive and have character.
    I’m not sure on the newer ones tho?

I bought my wife one a 02 cooper a couple of years ago and ended leaving my A6 most days and hopping in the mini and tearing the hole out of it on the way to work.
    Brilliant car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

daisyos1 wrote: »
    I would go with a Yaris and when you have finished denting it then trade up. Micra not a bad option either, slightly better ride than the Yaris but not as good in the test centre and if you hate the Yaris you will get at least get a sadistic thrill pranging it.

Advertisement