Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wearb wrote: »
    My input: Keep post count, and charters. They both help with modding.

How does post count help with modding, other than encouraging playing favorites?:confused:

I don't think prison should be public. Troublemakers are learning how to re-reg from info there. I have also noticed the nice appeasing and well mannered appeals, ending in "it's no wonder Boards is going down the drain", when a ban is upheld.

My two cents worth.

The Zaph comments and those of some other admins were priceless through the years- it used to be some of the best entertainment on boards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Zaph comments and those of some other admins were priceless through the years- it used to be some of the best entertainment on boards.

You'd certainly miss Gordon around here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

GreeBo wrote: »
    How does post count help with modding, other than encouraging playing favorites?:confused:

I would expect more tolerance to be shown to someone their first few posts.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would expect more tolerance to be shown to someone their first few posts.

I guess you could use join date for that, but I take the point.

Maybe just something to distinguish between them?
    One, many, lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair F&F seems to be a very well run forum.

I'd put it down to the mods being active in the community and letting discussions flow. A lot of the threads seem to be general chat, which is what makes a good forum in my opinion.

It's when you have forum mods stringently enforcing rules and worrying about 'the standard of posting' or 'off-topic chat' or being concerned about a thread being 'de-railed' that you end up smothering discussion and the forum dies a death.

I wholeheartedly agree with this... wish I could thank it more than once.

It's a discussion forum, and as others have pointed out, a discussion may naturally flow into sub-topics, asides or related matters as it develops. It keeps the topic fresh, allows contributors to add an element they may be specifically familiar with and overall it creates a better sense of involvement and community.

There's certain fora on this site where there are Mods (well-intentioned for the most part I'm sure in fairness) who are slowly killing their forum through actions like the above (I don't want to give specific examples but it was called out on a thread I read earlier and I was amazed that the poster wasn't immediately banned TBH).

I've said this before, but some people (posters and mods alike) really need to step back and THINK about the effect they might have BEFORE they hit Submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭whavin

I'm a football fan but yet I couldn't comment unless I had made 50 posts elsewhere, to protect against trolling I guess but that just put me off making the effort. Boards is fantastic btw, it's a great place to come to read into Irish psyche, no other website from what I discovered gives you that. Long live boards! you don't get many thanks around here but Thanks for you efforts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Sometimes you should probably take this all a bit less seriously (apart from potential legal issues obviously). It's an internet forum, not a court of law eg people posting "Full disclosure" and all that nonsense at the start of posts.

Also give it a rest with the warnings for trivial matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Also give it a rest with the warnings for trivial matters.

It's the interpretation of this word which is where it becomes difficult.

Some people think saying something quite inflammatory is "trivial" because they think everyone is saying it privately.

The difference in opinions is what both keeps discussions going and makes them hard to mod.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Neyite wrote: »
    Ok but that's easily solved with this:

Mod:
    Hi Op, I've moved your thread to a place where you should get better answers to your question :)

Or even the users could be nice and reply to the newbie that they posted in a rugby forum and while they are welcome to stay if they are also a rugby fan, that [insert link] is a better forum for their query.

In short, we could all help a newbie find their feet as a poster.

I always try and do that as well if I move a post - Often in C+T we get people posting in the Bus Enthusiasts or Train and Rail Systems forums when they're better suited in the main forum that will give them more viability.

What tends to work best is dropping them a friendly PM, welcoming them to the forum if they're a new member and giving them a link to the thread and the forum it has been moved to so they can find it and saying I think they're more likely to get the assistance they are looking for then and feel free to let me know if they have any questions

I've often then got follow-ups with issues about using the site and the forum and explained a few things to them so it's a process I think works - it's not really mentoring but simply a friendly welcoming approach.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

devnull wrote: »
    I always try and do that as well if I move a post - Often in C+T we get people posting in the Bus Enthusiasts or Train and Rail Systems forums when they're better suited in the main forum that will give them more viability.

What tends to work best is dropping them a friendly PM, welcoming them to the forum if they're a new member and giving them a link to the thread and the forum it has been moved to so they can find it and saying I think they're more likely to get the assistance they are looking for then and feel free to let me know if they have any questions

I've often then got follow-ups with issues about using the site and the forum and explained a few things to them so it's a process I think works - it's not really mentoring but simply a friendly welcoming approach.

I remember it being suggested that after moving we use the report function to give the new mods a heads up.
    This is very important if the moved post is few days old before moving, though replying to the moved post saying it’s been moved brings it to top of forum also.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

The blame can be put on the micro sections where moderators have taken over.

Seriously, this isn't even a go at mods as I really do appreciate them volunteering their time.

Look at any of the 'smaller' sections, a lot of them have died. For god sake, I'm surprised there was ever even a section for mustard. But that's besides the point. You will see that well over half of the posts in any of those sections (recently) has been done by mods. There are way too many different mods for different sections and they are the only ones which log on. Take the Education section for example. You will notice Spurious (a very dedicated moderator) and he will be found posting on almost every thread because nobody else will reply. There are no regulars on these sections anymore and they are dead because of it. Especially with education categories, people will be moving on once they finished, but there needs to be encouragement for a large community to stay there, instead of certain mods banning everyone.

The damage has been done to the site though, I think it needs to cut back on dead sections because it can be almost impossible to navigate and generalize the sections that do exist.

Just because there is still an active moderator who wants the section to stay - Doesn't mean it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Seriously, this isn't even a go at mods as I really do appreciate them volunteering their time.

Look at any of the 'smaller' sections, a lot of them have died. For god sake, I'm surprised there was ever even a section for mustard. But that's besides the point. You will see that well over half of the posts in any of those sections (recently) has been done by mods. There are way too many different mods for different sections and they are the only ones which log on. Take the Education section for example. You will notice Spurious (a very dedicated moderator) and he will be found posting on almost every thread because nobody else will reply. There are no regulars on these sections anymore and they are dead because of it. Especially with education categories, people will be moving on once they finished, but there needs to be encouragement for a large community to stay there, instead of certain mods banning everyone.

The damage has been done to the site though, I think it needs to cut back on dead sections because it can be almost impossible to navigate and generalize the sections that do exist.

Just because there is still an active moderator who wants the section to stay - Doesn't mean it should.

You ever see that episode of The Simpsons where the guy bad mouths Macgyver to Patty and Selma. That's what happens round here when you diss the mustard forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mustard.

The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

For god sake, I'm surprised there was ever even a section for mustard.

There's a line you cannot cross on boards.

You just stomped all over it. :D

Pro tip:
    If you see a pet forum, modded by one of the original owners of boards, don't dis it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Dj Tom

Electrical forum is typical example, mods just deleting or banning posters who post to correct their errors, it’s sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

can we have some rule to ban stupid abbreviations that arnt obvious normal use one (like atm etc)
    it really ruins a post when you have to read through the post to get the gist then guess at what some random string of letter mean and then re read the post to understand it. the poster saved a few seconds typing it but the reader lost minutes trying to unravel the jumbled mess.

several times I have seen a longish post with sever random abbreviations and said to myself its not worth wasting time on it.
    new members must be really put off by it

can we have some rule to ban stupid abbreviations that arnt obvious normal use one (like atm etc)
    it really ruins a post when you have to read through the post to get the gist then guess at what some random string of letter mean and then re read the post to understand it. the poster saved a few seconds typing it but the reader lost minutes trying to unravel the jumbled mess.

several times I have seen a longish post with sever random abbreviations and said to myself its not worth wasting time on it.

It took me ages to figure out DD, DS etc and I think LO means "loved one". Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It took me ages to figure out DD, DS etc and I think LO means "loved one". Ridiculous.

LO is little one aka your child.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There was me thinking it was "hello" abbreviated:pac:

• Advertisement

Conspectus wrote:

Beasty wrote:
    There was me thinking it was "hello" abbreviated

I thought it was an LOL typo.

Conspectus wrote: »

Ah. But why?!! Why not "my child". Anyways this has nothing got to do with feedback just my own personal annoyance :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Doesn’t the fall in posting to forums parallel the rise in the likes of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, where people now seem to live their lives?

They are sweeshops to Boards.ie ‘s health-food store.

Hence the attraction.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭briany

Beasty wrote: »
    There was me thinking it was "hello" abbreviated:pac:

'lo, Bob. You have pie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I thought it was an LOL typo.

"That means 'lots of love', right?" An aunt, when I asked why she kept responding LOL to posts about deaths, illnesses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Well in boards case it has become the most humorless, politically correct, soulless forum imaginable. Zero craic and moderators that treat the users like bold children who must be punished at every opportunity imaginable.

It is a great strategy for killing a website that is already outdated in terms of its format.

Well in boards case it has become the most humorless, politically correct, soulless forum imaginable. Zero craic and moderators that treat the users like bold children who must be punished at every opportunity imaginable.

It is a great strategy for killing a website that is already outdated in terms of its format.

You've deduced a lot in your time here. All two months of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The utter gibberish that appears as threads at times has to be a big turnoff for any new or potential posters.

Why would anybody looking for a discussion forum bother when the likes of this greets them on the first page?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057832716

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The utter gibberish that appears as threads at times has to be a big turnoff for any new or potential posters.

Why would anybody looking for a discussion forum bother when the likes of this greets them on the first page?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057832716
    For a boardsie who has been here a while, a good indicator if the OP is full of it is when they are on my Ignore list like 'Ralph&Florian'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

It's an advertisement from a few years back, you're just not familiar with it is all.

• Advertisement

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    For a boardsie who has been here a while, a good indicator if the OP is full of it is when they are on my Ignore list like 'Ralph&Florian'

Agreed, but no good for new or potential members looking at the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Agreed, but no good for new or potential members looking at the forum.

Perhaps if you're over 60 that could be true, but it's a fairly famous kinder advert that anyone between 30- 45 would remember. ....it's not actually gibberish...it's lines from the ad

Huge post count by users needs addressing. Roll and reset at 2,500 posts. Some with 50,000 plus posts what’s that about. Do they pay staff to post for them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dj Tom wrote: »
    Huge post count by users needs addressing. Roll and reset at 2,500 posts. Some with 50,000 plus posts what’s that about. Do they pay staff to post for them.
    Mine is clearly a lot bigger than yours. Jealousy, alas, will get you nowhere:)

I don't see the relevance of that. It can be useful to see somebody is a long term member when asking advice on some forums.

High post counts, mean just that, it has no meaning on the quality or whether those posts were useful to others.

Some posters have been around for a long time and have quite low post counts but their posts are very good, OTAH there are other posters who post any old rubbish anywhere and everywhere.

Beasty wrote: »
    Mine is clearly a lot bigger than yours. Jealousy, alas, will get you nowhere:)

You’re great.

High post counts, mean just that, it has no meaning on the quality or whether those posts were useful to others.

Some posters have been around for a long time and have quite low post counts but their posts are very good, OTAH there are other posters who post any old rubbish anywhere and everywhere.

Case in point for me...OTAH. ?

;)

Well said, big post count tiny penis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

And you on about lack of sex from your partner. You’re a winner alright.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

He's just jealous.

Anyway he has averaged 24 posts a day to your 8 and my 5, so his point is moot.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm now in my 18th year on boards! Just cause people don't post, doesn't mean the site isint being used! I browse 10x times more than I post.

I'm hoping boards offer some cool thing for 20 years with of posting service! (Even every 5 years would be nice!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Well said, big post count tiny penis.

Mod note:Settle down! There's no need for the insults.

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

And you on about lack of sex from your partner. You’re a winner alright.

I know who this is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

antodeco wrote: »
    I'm now in my 18th year on boards! Just cause people don't post, doesn't mean the site isint being used! I browse 10x times more than I post.

I'm hoping boards offer some cool thing for 20 years with of posting service! (Even every 5 years would be nice!)

i feel the same, been here a while and a lot of the time i cant be bothered replying to threads because they descend into the same crap all the time. easier just to browse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I know who this is.

Report it so

You've deduced a lot in your time here. All two months of it.

Oooh someone is a bit touchy.

:D

antodeco wrote: »
    I'm hoping boards offer some cool thing for 20 years with of posting service!

You'll probably get banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Stheno wrote: »
    Report it so

It's sorted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement