Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

What do you expect, literally everything about boards thst is designed to "enhance" the experience turns out to be totally counteractive.

The moderation is crazy and a total mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Seriously?

That's just ridiculous.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057863382

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057889167

If AH policy is to change then announce it & move the threads to the appropriate forum. Closing them kills all discussion, looks like censorship, & will make any newcomer reluctant to discuss the topics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Discodog wrote: »
    It's supposed to be but two popular threads were locked in AH too with the explanation that they aren't cheerful enough.

Who the hell is that Mod who closed both of those threads? Are they doing it off their own back? I suspect they are doing itas they don't like the subject matter being discussed!
    What happened to the current affairs forum that was promised for threads like those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

It's supposed to be but two popular threads were locked in AH too with the explanation that they aren't cheerful enough.

Can't be a Debbie Downer :)

best-debbie-downer-meme-september-2013-keep-chasing-that-invisible-penguin-debbie-downer-meme.jpg

Who the hell is that Mod who closed both of those threads? Are they doing it off their own back? I suspect they are doing itas they don't like the subject matter being discussed!
    What happened to the current affairs forum that was promised for threads like those?

I guess the idea died. It seems so pointless to have page after page of feedback threads, promises, assurances etc & then they are just ignored. Imagine if you were a Trans person & signed up to Boards - what would it make you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The closure of the junkie thread was strange. It was a discussion about Dublin as a tourist spot. I was pro Dublin.

If there were some posts that were out of order (like sterilise the junkies) then those individual posts should have been carded. The thread ended abruptly without explanation.

The closure of the junkie thread was strange. It was a discussion about Dublin as a tourist spot. I was pro Dublin.

If there were some posts that were out of order (like sterilise the junkies) then those individual posts should have been carded. The thread ended abruptly without explanation.

Maybe there should be a rule that no individual can close a thread. It has to be agreed by several Mods or a CMod

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Noticed that a high traffic interesting thread (the one about "junkies" in Dublin City Centre) has been deleted in it's entirety without explanation....... thought this practice was a thing of the past???
    That one was my fault. I deleted all trace of a particularly nasty troll. It looks like that thread was collateral damage. I'll re-instate it now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

It was probably started by a serial re-reg troll, they usually get nuked once the mods figure out who they are

Edit: above^

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    That one was my fault. I deleted all trace of a particularly nasty troll. It looks like that thread was collateral damage. I'll re-instate it now

Whilst you are here was a decision ever made regarding closing AH threads if they are serious, not light hearted ?

Whilst you are here was a decision ever made regarding closing AH threads if they are serious, not light hearted ?

Not aware of any "formal" decision being taken, but looking back over a few pages it seems to me that some such threads exist and one or two closures made were after discussions had been ongoing for some time. It may be that the topic had been exhausted. Equally if long-running threads are getting multiple reports mods may think it's gone beyond it's sell-by date. (I'm not claiming to have been monitoring any such threads/reports though)

Not aware of any "formal" decision being taken, but looking back over a few pages it seems to me that some such threads exist and one or two closures made were after discussions had been ongoing for some time. It may be that the topic had been exhausted. Equally if long-running threads are getting multiple reports mods may think it's gone beyond it's sell-by date. (I'm not claiming to have been monitoring any such threads/reports though)

I thought it was agreed that a topic is exhausted when people stop posting & then it naturally dies. If it is really off topic then moving allows the discussion to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if a thread or topic is 'exausted' then it will die naturally. the fact that it has to be closed means its not exausted and that posters and still adding to it.

if there are posts outside the rules then deal with that. bans or cards etc will sort that .
    closing the thread is just taking the easy way out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's not always true, though. One recent example: I was subscribed to the Blindboy Boatclub thread for over 6 months, until I removed it from my list a few days ago. It's literally just a carousel of the same points going round and round in circles, over and over again. Nobody is adding anything new or interesting to it.

• Advertisement

That's not always true, though. One recent example: I was subscribed to the Blindboy Boatclub thread for over 6 months, until I removed it from my list a few days ago. It's literally just a carousel of the same points going round and round in circles, over and over again. Nobody is adding anything new or interesting to it.

So is the problem that it's taking up space ? Who decides new & interesting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

iv seen that several times. i do as you have. unsub from it. the posters that are going round in circles seem to want to do that so leave them at it. they will tire them selves out and the thread will die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It doesn't matter if its new or interesting sometimes. Personally I would never tire of reading posts about what an unfunny and tiresome bore a pseudo-intellectual like blindboy boat club is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Maybe there should be a rule that no individual can close a thread. It has to be agreed by several Mods or a CMod

I actually like this idea, maybe have a "thread suspended" option and then have it that the mod who wishes to close a thread has to have 1 other mod (and maybe a C mod?) In agreement that the thread should be closed.

This way the mod cannot just nuke a thread because he/she feels it should be closed, they would have to explain to the others as to the reasoning behind the decision and the majority ruling would be the decider.

Obviously this would not count for threads started by rereg trolls with subjects along the lines of "new foreign neighbour stole my undies and ate my hamster". If a thread is still having a live discussion that has several hundred posts in it then make it that there has to be a good reason behind closing it and put the explanation in the last post instead of a one line "thread has run its course ... closed!"

A thread may be going round in circles but closing it stops any new opinion. Boards has to be the site that encourages discussion not closing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I think we need to acknowledge Beauty's no fuss, and speedy, reinstatement of the thread...... maybe things are changing for the better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

The Peak Trans thread was closed because...

''Remember when After Hours was the place for fun threads and was generally a bit of craic''...

I must admit I often don't see all that much in terms of fun threads or bits of craic on After Hours. There is a lot of silly gibberish, cliqueish jibing, barely concealed animus and irrelevancy. I see quite a few permitted posts there that just make me recoil. If a thread is not suited to the After Hours space - and I am not conversant with the other spaces on Boards, so I suppose I post by lazy default there - then move the thread. Moderate out the obviously disgusting comments and incitements, but allow debate and exchange of information. Otherwise it really is contempt for free speech. But then again, maybe that's the brave new world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

This forum has been a roundabout for years.

Malayalam wrote: »

''Remember when After Hours was the place for fun threads and was generally a bit of craic''...

I must admit I often don't see all that much in terms of fun threads or bits of craic on After Hours. There is a lot of silly gibberish, cliqueish jibing, barely concealed animus and irrelevancy. I see quite a few permitted posts there that just make me recoil. If a thread is not suited to the After Hours space - and I am not conversant with the other spaces on Boards, so I suppose I post by lazy defult there - then move the thread. Moderate out the obviously disgusting comments and incitements, but allow debate and exchange of information. Otherwise it really is contempt for free speech. But then again, maybe that's the brave new world.

Even if it isn't or isn't deliberate, it gives that impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can mods stop moving threads to Political Cafe.. it's like a death knell to a sometimes interesting topic and is the very essence stiffles discussion. I know this has been raised umpteen times before but it's still happening.

Can mods stop moving threads to Political Cafe.. it's like a death knell to a sometimes interesting topic and is the very essence stiffles discussion. I know this has been raised umpteen times before but it's still happening.

And a lot aren't Politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I have only recently re-joined boards.ie.

I stopped using it years ago due to the following:

1. Weird power trips by mods. It was if their personal value / life was based around wielding power here. I found it just sad and didn't want that in my life.

2. I noticed any opinion which goes against the grain was lambasted and could result in a warning, i.e. stop causing trouble. But actually people were just expressing their different opinion on the matter.

3. I felt there were too many members who were a bit on the spectrum. I don't mean that in an offensive way. I just felt overall the site was dominated by socially awkward people. It meant conversations tended to be a bit nerdy. I actually went to a boards meetup and I would say 95%+ of the people there were incredibly socially awkward. In fact, I had never met people like them before, even though I work in IT which generally has a few somewhat socially awkward people. I guess what I'm trying to say here is I found it difficult to have a "normal" conversation on boards. I found reddit to be a lot more "normal". I hope you can understand my meaning here. I'm not trying to be offensive.

4. The introduction of the "Like" feature brought with it too much bullying. I would also see people getting picked on because they didn't have the group opinion. I understand this is probably just an aspect of humanity, but why would you do this on an entertainment website.

I do hope boards survives though. I understand a lot of people use it to help with their loneliness, and there are a lot of helpful people who can provide advice on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there have been threads about islam, political issues and current affairs issues among other examples in ah since i joined the site. i don't remember an ah of cheery threads only. i only ever remember it as the random forum for topics which weren't quite suited to the other forums.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think a distinction should be made between threads that are popular because they get posts from a large section of the poster-base, and those that are popular because they get a lot of posts, but from a small section of posters.. having long running threads where a handful of people battle it out for eternity clogging up the main page isn't good for the forum imo, gives the impression the place is stale and full of cranks and discourages new content. Make a little subforum for them like the world cup one maybe

I think we need to acknowledge Beauty
    It's a pleasure you MadThing:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

I like to think that the werewolf forum has done its part keeping posts up.
    Is that still going? I'm curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Malayalam wrote: »

I must admit I often don't see all that much in terms of fun threads or bits of craic on After Hours. There is a lot of silly gibberish, cliqueish jibing, barely concealed animus and irrelevancy. I see quite a few permitted posts there that just make me recoil. If a thread is not suited to the After Hours space - and I am not conversant with the other spaces on Boards, so I suppose I post by lazy default there - then move the thread. Moderate out the obviously disgusting comments and incitements, but allow debate and exchange of information. Otherwise it really is contempt for free speech. But then again, maybe that's the brave new world.

Yeah imo closing that was a mistake. Especially doing so the day of Trans Pride. The reason given was a nonsense too. Not intending to have a dig here but if you think a thread needs to be closed because it isnt happy then should you really be modding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Not for you, who have been following it for 6 months. But what is wrong with other continue to discuss it, or new people to add their thoughts. Remove it from your list if you are dont. But the thread should be allowed live, whether it is going in circles or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

It's a pleasure you MadThing:)

Freudian slip!!!

I think a distinction should be made between threads that are popular because they get posts from a large section of the poster-base, and those that are popular because they get a lot of posts, but from a small section of posters.. having long running threads where a handful of people battle it out for eternity clogging up the main page isn't good for the forum imo, gives the impression the place is stale and full of cranks and discourages new content. Make a little subforum for them like the world cup one maybe

That sounds a bit like hide them away so people stop posting. The problem with sub fora is that people simply won't look in them unless the title draws them in. The internet is full of cranks & their posts are often popular.

I would suggest that any hint of censorship, bias, over moderation will drive new users away because it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Moderation should be a plus for Boards. It should always enable anyone to post their opinion, whatever it may be, provided they do it in a civil manner. With all the current fuss over bullying etc Boards can be a safe haven.

It should never be for Mods, Admins etc to control the subject matter. That is for the individual posters to decide unless there are very strong, open & valid reasons against such content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

jcorr wrote: »
    Is that still going? I'm curious

Yeah, still very popular

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yeah, still very popular

I don't understand the warewolf tread at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ZX7R wrote: »
    I don't understand the warewolf tread at all
    Same as a tracker mortgage.......no idea what thats all about either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah, still very popular

Really enthusiastic mod team forum games has. They do a terrific job promoting it.

I still haven't ventured in there yet.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Really enthusiastic mod team forum games has. They do a terrific job promoting it.

I still haven't ventured in there yet.

It has gotten a mention on at least five different treads today,
    There definitely getting it noticed

I thought it was a new film till I had a look the forem

That sounds a bit like hide them away so people stop posting. The problem with sub fora is that people simply won't look in them unless the title draws them in. The internet is full of cranks & their posts are often popular.

I would suggest that any hint of censorship, bias, over moderation will drive new users away because it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Moderation should be a plus for Boards. It should always enable anyone to post their opinion, whatever it may be, provided they do it in a civil manner. With all the current fuss over bullying etc Boards can be a safe haven.

It should never be for Mods, Admins etc to control the subject matter. That is for the individual posters to decide unless there are very strong, open & valid reasons against such content.
    But it's just the same handful of people posting in them for months and months is the thing, moving it isn't going to stop them (unless they for other reasons, like what happens with politics cafe). What would encourage new users to post more imo, is smaller, newer, fresher threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I put it down to boards being moderated into oblivion. There's too many mods across the board and they're way too harsh. Some mods have cliques and they and their supplicants just boss around the people they don't like and shut them down. We all know it. Then there are some legal issues sometimes around criminal cases that result in threads being shut down but if you go over to twitter everyone is having a grand chat about it. In its heyday boards was open, combative, witty, and the place for serious discussion about everything. Now it just feels old and dusty and not worth the effort. The fact that there is a warning on this thread says all you need to know.

But it's just the same handful of people posting in them for months and months is the thing, moving it isn't going to stop them (unless they for other reasons, like what happens with politics cafe). What would encourage new users to post more imo, is smaller, newer, fresher threads.

So you are saying that some posters shouldn't be allowed to post? That won't encourage new people & will seriously upset existing posters.

So you are saying that some posters shouldn't be allowed to post? That won't encourage new people & will seriously upset existing posters.

1516231764519.jpg

No I'm saying a fresh thread with many people posting is going to be more likely to encourage people to post than a heading off topic, endless back and forth between a handful of posters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Everyone should drive on, we are going well now.

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    I put it down to boards being moderated into oblivion. There's too many mods across the board and they're way too harsh. Some mods have cliques and they and their supplicants just boss around the people they don't like and shut them down. We all know it. Then there are some legal issues sometimes around criminal cases that result in threads being shut down but if you go over to twitter everyone is having a grand chat about it. In its heyday boards was open, combative, witty, and the place for serious discussion about everything. Now it just feels old and dusty and not worth the effort. The fact that there is a warning on this thread says all you need to know.

I think the moderation in recent times is the best it can be given the legal challenges of an open forum. AH has certainly moved away from the "cess pit" approach which was endemic in the forum in the recent past few years, and has found a better and different voice.

It's not perfect but if you want "edgy" then there are always the private forums for that- but even those are changing- maybe it's people that are changing, not the moderation?

You're very general in your allegations against the mods of boards.ie - care to be more specific? I don't always agree with mods, but I do respect those who give their time.
    Sometimes, I can be a pedant- but mods have always given me an ear, as opposed to an earful. Just my experience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I have to say I think the moderation has been top notch the last 6 months or so. There was a period of about 5 years before that when the phrase nazi mod actually wasn't an exagerration, but things seem to have been rectified in recent times. Its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

As far as I understand it, there's a Boards style/etiquette that is acceptable in After Hours that would not be acceptable in say Aviation, and vice versa. And often the respective styles do not translate over to the the other one but they 'bleed' over (I suspect) by accident. Like, an attempt at puerile craic and/or poking sacred cows that is grist to the AH mill can throw a more serious thread into apoplexy and possible infraction. That can be hard for posters to manage as they're not always able to wear the appropriate uniform as it were. And of course, its almost impossible for mods to navigate on occasion.

I don't know what the answer is, but the 'bleed' of styles and etiquettes might need some thought as to how best to manage it...

Or "contagion"!

I think there is almost a natural evolution where posting etiquette may trend to a common approach as posters move across the site sharing posting styles

Having said that I think some forums will always adopt different approaches - the likes of Soccer, Politics and PI immediately spring to mind, and there will be plenty of others

Of course if we could get an influx of younger posters who have grown up in this digital age I'm sure they will help teach those of us who have been around for a while a bit more about the digital age, and the newer protocols to adopt

Of course if we could get an influx of younger posters who have grown up in this digital age I'm sure they will help teach those of us who have been around for a while a bit more about the digital age, and the newer protocols to adopt

I've heard that something called "records" coupled with a "record player" are best way to listen to prog rock.

https://www.statista.com/chart/13585/vinyl-revival-in-the-uk/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement