Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licentious behaviour

• 29-12-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Something that I have seen recently is attractive young barwomen women being groped by a sleazy barman in a pub, women grabbing a guy aggressively by his dick in a chippy, people talking loudly in a crass manner about sex, guys rubbing into young women in pubs like dogs in heat, women talking loudly about the size of their man's dick, people cheating on their spouse, blabbing about it on this etc etc.
    I'm not prude certainly not but it seems when people are jarred up sexual molestation is par for the course and It seems folk don't have too much principles when it comes to sex.

Sad as the smallest nucleus of a tribe is the family and it seems many young people are so heavily brainwashed by the heavy promiscuous brainwashing on crappy reality shows where they are all sleeping with each other and relationships last 3 weeks that people don't want families anymore or a loving relationship just to sleep around. Recently had a guy blab onto me about sleeping with a prostitute. Hmm, I'm sure it was tremendously loving the sex:rolleyes:

Anyways the youth seem to accept the World from reality TV, and frankly it's concerning that people take their principles from the degenerates on these shows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Something that I have seen recently is attractive young barwomen women being groped by a sleazy barman in a pub, women grabbing a guy aggressively by his dick in a chippy, people talking loudly in a crass manner about sex, guys rubbing into young women in pubs like dogs in heat, women talking loudly about the size of their man's dick, people cheating on their spouse, blabbing about it on this etc etc.
    I'm not prude certainly not but it seems when people are jarred up sexual molestation is par for the course and It seems folk don't have too much principles when it comes to sex.

Sad as the smallest nucleus of a tribe is the family and it seems many young people are so heavily brainwashed by the heavy promiscuous brainwashing on crappy reality shows where they are all sleeping with each other and relationships last 3 weeks that people don't want families anymore or a loving relationship just to sleep around. Recently had a guy blab onto me about sleeping with a prostitute. Hmm, I'm sure it was tremendously loving the sex:rolleyes:

Anyways the youth seem to accept the World from reality TV, and frankly it's concerning that people take their principles from the degenerates on these shows

I'd suggest that you're making the usual mistake of presuming that modern mores are "decadent" in comparison to some imagined and more puritanical past, which never in fact existed. For example -

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/may/17/syphilis-sex-fear-borgias

The city of venice had such a problem a department of government was set up to deal with it.

Marriage and the state as far as ordinary people were concerned only began to become intertwined in the last few hundred years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Anyways the youth seem to accept the World from reality TV, and frankly it's concerning that people take their principles from the degenerates on these shows.

That was par for the course back in the late 90's, so it's hardly new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

That was par for the course back in the late 90's, so it's hardly new.

Its getting worse most teenagers these days are 13 going on 30.

The world's gone mad..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Licentious. What a word. Haven't heard it in normal discourse in decades. But yeah, it's a great word. As for behaviour, yeah I despair for the youth of today. But then again I'd say it's been the same of every generation since the 50s. My thinking is always be nice, and if some people are bad avoid them. It's all the advice I can offer the kids of today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

emo72 wrote: »
    Licentious. What a word.

A cromulent anachronism.

How about - lasciviousness. Carnal. Lecherous. Wanton. Dissolute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

What the hell kind of chippy's are you going into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Wanton.

That’s all the lads wanted in the first place before getting felt up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

women grabbing a guy aggressively by his dick in a chippy

Here can ya stop saying chippy. It's fcuking awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Omackeral wrote: »

Someone has a chippy on their shoulder :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'd suggest that you're making the usual mistake of presuming that modern mores are "decadent" in comparison to some imagined and more puritanical past, which never in fact existed. For example -

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/may/17/syphilis-sex-fear-borgias

The city of venice had such a problem a department of government was set up to deal with it.

Marriage and the state as far as ordinary people were concerned only began to become intertwined in the last few hundred years.

That was a fantastic link to read! thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Its getting worse most teenagers these days are 13 going on 30.

In the bigger picture I wouldn't call it worse. It's relatively new to keep children away from sexuality up until their late teenage years. Keep in mind when young girls got married not too long ago and how many of them had children even before that.
    Hardly anything new there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Name and address of that chipper please.

Sorry, I'll go down the chippy and get you some chippy chips to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

A cromulent anachronism.

Sounds like a great night out to me. Wahey let's go!

All you really have to do is look at the comedies of the 70s/80s and you'll see there's plenty of such behavior is shown. And if it was shown in the comedies, then it was definitely happening in society.

The difference comes in when society decides that there needs to be rules applied to such behavior as is happening now. Now it's no longer acceptable for men to behave in such a manner. Seems acceptable for women to behave that way though. Perhaps that will also change but I find it unlikely for the immediate future.
    Sad as the smallest nucleus of a tribe is the family and it seems many young people are so heavily brainwashed by the heavy promiscuous brainwashing on crappy reality shows where they are all sleeping with each other and relationships last 3 weeks that people don't want families anymore or a loving relationship just to sleep around.

I suspect that most people can see the people on the reality shows as being scummy. But I'd suggest you're being rather naive about sex. I lost my virginity at 14 with a girl who was 18 outside of the local nightclub. I know plenty of people who had similar experiences, and whilst single continued having sex with strangers until they found a steady relationship. Then there's those of us who have remained single and have no interest in a steady relationship...
    Recently had a guy blab onto me about sleeping with a prostitute. Hmm, I'm sure it was tremendously loving the sex:rolleyes:

Sex. Not making love. Sex. You're throwing your value of sex on to someone else. I've had ons from bars and clubs which were simply sexual encounters. Very little intimacy involved, just the physical experience.

You're not "a better person" simply because you have sex in a relationship.

There have always been foolish and easily led people out there. I'd be more concerned with the people who automatically accept what the media says and blindly believes all the "statistics" thrown around without thinking about it. There's a greater trend of people simply repeating what they've heard on TV as fact without considering for themselves whether its likely possible or even true. Blind acceptance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Recently had a guy blab onto me about sleeping with a prostitute. Hmm, I'm sure it was tremendously loving the sex:rolleyes:

Dehumanising that poor prostitute by calling her an 'it'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The world's gone mad..

No it's not, it's the people in it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

A cromulent anachronism.

Indeed. I'm sure Samuel Johnson would heartily agree.

by the way, I can never remember that word when I most need it...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hold on while I get my dictionary..

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

manonboard wrote: »
    That was a fantastic link to read! thank you!

Among other famous sufferers in more recent times was Robert Burns and Bram Stoker, though obviously it was rampant throughout all levels of society in many regions. It's something of a window onto the lack of chastity in supposedly more "chaste" times. The difference between now and the past is perhaps more a lack of hypocrisy in current times rather than in behaviour.

Another one that's brought up to back the rose glasses view of the past is the "lack" of many visible single mothers in society - say 50 years ago, supposedly as some sort of anecdote implying people 'kept it in the pants' way back when. This ignores the large numbers abandoned to institutions, give up for adoption at home and abroad, or credited to other members of the same extended family.

Dehumanising that poor prostitute by calling her an 'it'

Nice try social media warrior and I was refering to the sex and you know that.

Who said it was a she?.

See what I did there. Boom!.

Rough ones. Well they are at 2.30 am and everyone is half cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Kids are, in truth, having sex later and safer than any generations past. It might just be your ‘tribe’ that’s the problem OP. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Your Face wrote: »
    Name and address of that chipper please.

'Battered sausage' being taken a bit too metaphorically

Rough ones. Well they are at 2.30 am and everyone is half cut.

Oi oi mad banta with the lads cheeky night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Awight mate, it's just bants innit?

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This notion of a pre agricultural age of "free love" was popular for a time in the 60's and 70's and then came back with books like Sperm Wars and movements like the Pickup artist(PUA) brigade.

Is there any truth to it? Very little indeed, though Sperm Wars is a good read and has some interesting facts within, it's the conclusions drawn I'd take issue with.

Human sexuality is rather like the human diet; adaptable and highly variable across cultures. However outside of extremes there are basics in both across cultures. Monogamy is a near constant across the board, including in pre agricultural societies extant today. Now to be clear I mean monogamy in the general sense. How societies view and act regarding monogamy does vary. Mostly with the time frame. Some cultures view the ideal as life long monogamy, others are more into monogamous relationships that last from three to five years, the length of time it takes to have and raise a child to the walking talking stage and the average length of time for the "in love" feelings.

Others, like the West are a bit of mix of the two(reliable contraception changed things here). So the average modern western man and woman practices serial monogamy with a few sexual partners until "settling" for one "lifetime" partner down the line. Divorce can throw this pattern of course.

I would suspect if humans were left to their own devices outside of cultural expectations we would have the serial monogamy with a couple of kids produced when we were at our most fertile(teens/twenties), then settle down in an extended family unit with one partner as fertility(particularly women's) declined, so 30's/40's. Indeed we often see this pattern among the very wealthy and the very poor in western society.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement