Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Lenihan-Irelands Unsung World Champion

13»

Comments

jrkb wrote: »
    I remember after a mountain race in the mid 90s there was a discussion about JL and one of the athletes told me about JL racing J Treacy in a mountain race and how Treacy matched him on the ascent but was blown away by JL on the descent,can anyone of the mountain runners on here confirm this or check it out,I know some of ye might be able to ask the man himself.

I think many would say the art of the descent is exactly what sets the great short course mountain runners apart, or at least in this part of the world (the straight uphill challenge seems to be more popular in Alpine countries). The ascent is all about fitness, think you could train on a treadmill non stop and be very effective in ascending...but the flying descent is all about nerves, technique etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

But that would be expected, running on descent is a skill. I am sure Treacy would of blown him away on the track

Yes I know Treacy would have done him on the track I just asked the question if the story I heard was right.Sorry Im not arguing who was the better athlete just wondering if the story I heard was true :)

echat wrote: »
    I wonder did he mean John Downes (West Limerick) in the World trials in the early 1990s? John Treacy turned 40 in the mid-1990s and had retired.

No it defo wasn't that race because I remember that being discussed as well,I think Bryson beat Downes in the same World Trial?it was defo said about J Treacy in a different race.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

No it defo wasn't that race because I remember that being discussed as well,I think Bryson beat Downes in the same World Trial?it was defo said about J Treacy in a different race.

He was caught at the top of the first climb and finished up maybe around 17th. John and Robin caught him later on the way up Mauiin and Djouce from Powerscourt river lay ahead. I doubt he knew the course or had done any proper training runs.

There is a brief reference to it here but no mention of the race you are asking about: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ain-t-no-mountain-high-enough-1.773674

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

jamule wrote: »
    I vaguely remember something about that. Anyone got a report from the 1st warrior run, that must have been some effort to beat Kenny Stuart.

I only seen him go downhill once, at the ****e on top of caher when i was on the way up, I could just stand back in amazement. If reminded me of a goat flying down the rocks

1st Warriors run in '85 was uphill only £1000 pounds first prize.
    JL was in second at the mountain (Stuart was excellent road runner too).
    He passed and one on the last steep climb to the top. Lucky he did as winner took all in prizes, no second or third prize.

Some anecdotes:
    RTEs cameras at the top missed John coming in. They had to refilm him running in with the other runners hiding behind the cairn.
    JL had given a lift up and down from Kerry to the female winner. There was no female prize either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Just finished the Tough as Leather book. A nice read but would have liked to have more details on more races, the specifics of training done and perhaps some insights from the other competitors of the day, that are mentioned in passing all too briefly e.g. John Brooks. Various of the contributors here, fine runners in their own right, get brief mentions or photos in the book. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

http://www.championseverywhere.com/john-lenihan-mountain-running-champion/

A nice interview with him from Rene in 2011. Inreresting that he says he would have liked to see what he could have achieved on the track. 13.55/29.36 @22yrs.

1.02 for the half but his style couldn't see out a full marathon.

I remember after a mountain race in the mid 90s there was a discussion about JL and one of the athletes told me about JL racing J Treacy in a mountain race and how Treacy matched him on the ascent but was blown away by JL on the descent,can anyone of the mountain runners on here confirm this or check it out,I know some of ye might be able to ask the man himself.

Official: Fake news. Were you buying the pints while you were being told the story :D

Official: Fake news. Were you buying the pints while you were being told the story :D

Lol I probably was but thanks for clearing that up.Back on topic he may not be up there with Sonia,Coughlan or Treacy but he is a legend on the mountains and I doubt his achievements in Ireland will ever be surpassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lol I probably was but thanks for clearing that up.Back on topic he may not be up there with Sonia,Coughlan or Treacy but he is a legend on the mountains and I doubt his achievements in Ireland will ever be surpassed.

If mountain running becomes important and challenged it will most definitely be bettered..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

walshb wrote: »
    If mountain running becomes important and challenged it will most definitely be bettered..

We only have one runner who can match John Lenihans times for the 10k and half right now(paul pollock) on the roads nevermind the mountains. Some of the strongest road runners over the last few years have come from the mountains. Brian MacMahon and Barry Minnock for instance.

walshb wrote: »

That's the beauty of winning, of being World champion, others can only equal your achievement.

The Cathal Dennehy article on the under 23 European cross-country gold team posted on another thread was very interesting. Has anyone ever written a book based on interviews with our individual sports legends to understand why they succeeded? The interviews could cover both limelight and twilight sports as those who succeed in minority sports with no media publicity are really driven.

Perhaps Sport Ireland or OCI would provide some funding as the feedback could be used to fine tune long-term planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Has anyone ever written a book based on interviews with our individual sports legends to understand why they succeeded? The interviews could cover both limelight and twilight sports as those who succeed in minority sports with no media publicity are really driven.

Perhaps Sport Ireland or OCI would provide some funding as the feedback could be used to fine tune long-term planning.
    Sounds a little like 'Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive ...
    Book by Brad Stulberg and Steve Magness'. Not based on Irish performances, but then winning and success isn't a national trait (pun not ontended). Don't suppose you happen to be a writer? :)

Advertisement