Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not really sure where to start with smart home!

• 29-12-2017 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭

One the brothers got me a Echo Dot for Christmas so been playing around with it last few days. Love gadgets and technology but this kinda stuff I've never really looked at until now.

So I'm thinking about maybe adding a few things on to it for lighting maybe even security.

So where do I start? I don't want to spend crazy money I'm recently out of work but I'd like to get most out of having the dot and being able to use Alexa.

What does this Samsung smarttings do for example? I've also seen logitechs hub mentioned a lot.

Any help would be great if possible :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Even an Echo Dot is a cool device on its own if money is tight, there's plenty of useful things it can do without having to spend more. But even basic things like smart plugs to turn devices on or off are interesting. I have one that turns on the Christmas tree at the moment, I'll transfer that to turn on a selection of lamps after Christmas I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Even an Echo Dot is a cool device on its own if money is tight, there's plenty of useful things it can do without having to spend more. But even basic things like smart plugs to turn devices on or off are interesting. I have one that turns on the Christmas tree at the moment, I'll transfer that to turn on a selection of lamps after Christmas I think.

Ya I've seen the plugs mentioned to actually. I've been kinda ignoring all this stuff last while but now I have the dot I'm more interested.

So how do these hub s work? Like what do thr smartthing s and logitech harmony offer that are worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I’m like yourself. Starting out.
    Liking all Tp-link stuff. Not a fan of hubs. Got myself a smart plug which I control a dehumidifier and have 2 bulbs. One colour other a white one with a good temature range. Colour one is good for kids. Novelty wears of fast though. But I have it set up so they should not leave they room in the morning till it’s green (o:

I’m like yourself. Staring out.
    Liking all Tp-link stuff. Not a fan of hubs. Got myself a smart plug which I control a dehumidifier and have 2 bulbs. One colour other a white one with a good temature range. Colour one is good for kids. Novelty wears of fast though. But I have it set up so that should not leave they room in the morning till it’s green (o:

That's a good idea with kids room actually! Saying that my sons a ****e bag so wouldn't make any difference to him haha!!

So why wouldn't you touch the hubs out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

That's a good idea with kids room actually! Saying that my sons a ****e bag so wouldn't make any difference to him haha!!

So why wouldn't you touch the hubs out of interest?
    No real reason. Extra cost and extra device cluttering up. I’m sure there are advantages to them. Right now I don’t need them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Generally speaking, if you are just getting one or two devices, wifi devices are fine.

However when you expand beyond this, for instance getting lots of lights, hubs are definitely better IME. They reduce the cost per device and they reduce the standby power used by each device. More importantly, they also tend to be more reliable if you lose internet/wifi, etc. For instance, Hue lights continue to work perfectly when the internet/wifi is down, while wifi only devices can be hit or miss.

That might be fine if you have just one or two wifi lights. But if you have a whole hosue of smart lights, then you really want it to be reliable.

Having said that, if money is tight, I really wouldn't bother venturing too far down this path. Most of this stuff is fun, but not really necessary (might be for people with particular disabilities).

An Echo or Google Home with spotify sub is probably a nice start. If finances allow down the road, maybe a smart thermostat tends to be a popular options for people. Maybe an IP camera to add some security to your home.

bk wrote: »
    Generally speaking, if you are just getting one or two devices, wifi devices are fine.

However when you expand beyond this, for instance getting lots of lights, hubs are definitely better IME. They reduce the cost per device and they reduce the standby power used by each device. More importantly, they also tend to be more reliable if you lose internet/wifi, etc. For instance, Hue lights continue to work perfectly when the internet/wifi is down, while wifi only devices can be hit or miss.

That might be fine if you have just one or two wifi lights. But if you have a whole hosue of smart lights, then you really want it to be reliable.

Having said that, if money is tight, I really wouldn't bother venturing too far down this path. Most of this stuff is fun, but not really necessary (might be for people with particular disabilities).

An Echo or Google Home with spotify sub is probably a nice start. If finances allow down the road, maybe a smart thermostat tends to be a popular options for people. Maybe an IP camera to add some security to your home.

Thanks for this!!

I need to look into it all bit more before I end up impluse buying for the sake of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

It's an interesting question... Where do I start?
    Lots of stuff are fun.. (up until recently I didn't really see the echo as anything more than fun. Now it starts my unique morning routine without physical interaction)

As mentioned previously i suggest start with a want..

Unfortunately I started with a big one. I wanted the lights to come on automatically when I entered any room - conceived when I brought my new born through the house one day with a lazy man's load of other stuff...
    I've since distilled it down to anything thats repeatable should be automated.

I would agree with start small, but you will end up with hubs if you take it any distance.

If you're interested in how it can escalate... My set up is a DSC alarm (for reliable pir detection) connected to an old Vera, associated to zwave switch fittings around the house. There are probably better solutions now.. for example I've heard good things about the new smartthings as a zwave hub. but instead of replacing the vera, my latest projects are around openhab as a master on a pi.. interfacing to Vera for what it's good at, but with much more flexibility in connecting to an echo dot and other eco systems for example. Vera may be replaced eventually, by openhab or something else.

I would warn it can become addictive, complicated and costly.. If it doesn't sit on the shelf. But as you have heard there are lots of small wants that are met by these consumer systems..

What has been most interesting for me over the last 6 years has been the waf.. once I got aligned on that, she's been generating requests..

One the brothers got me a Echo Dot for Christmas so been playing around with it last few days. Love gadgets and technology but this kinda stuff I've never really looked at until now.

So I'm thinking about maybe adding a few things on to it for lighting maybe even security.

So where do I start? I don't want to spend crazy money I'm recently out of work but I'd like to get most out of having the dot and being able to use Alexa.

What does this Samsung smarttings do for example? I've also seen logitechs hub mentioned a lot.

Any help would be great if possible :-)

rkdub wrote: »
    It's an interesting question... Where do I start?
    Lots of stuff are fun.. (up until recently I didn't really see the echo as anything more than fun. Now it starts my unique morning routine without physical interaction)

As mentioned previously i suggest start with a want..

Unfortunately I started with a big one. I wanted the lights to come on automatically when I entered any room - conceived when I brought my new born through the house one day with a lazy man's load of other stuff...
    I've since distilled it down to anything thats repeatable should be automated.

I would agree with start small, but you will end up with hubs if you take it any distance.

If you're interested in how it can escalate... My set up is a DSC alarm (for reliable pir detection) connected to an old Vera, associated to zwave switch fittings around the house. There are probably better solutions now.. for example I've heard good things about the new smartthings as a zwave hub. but instead of replacing the vera, my latest projects are around openhab as a master on a pi.. interfacing to Vera for what it's good at, but with much more flexibility in connecting to an echo dot and other eco systems for example. Vera may be replaced eventually, by openhab or something else.

I would warn it can become addictive, complicated and costly.. If it doesn't sit on the shelf. But as you have heard there are lots of small wants that are met by these consumer systems..

What has been most interesting for me over the last 6 years has been the waf.. once I got aligned on that, she's been generating requests..

So I'll take the lights cause like idea of that what would I need to have setup in thr kitchen and sitting room to have lights turn on and off as I enter and leave room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Good to see some more thought going into this than when I started.

My starting point:
    Boiler control for heating was acting up, this gave me a pass to find a solution that gave the boss reliable heating..... in whatever form I decided.

I settled on a Vera Edge z wave hub and a simple light switch to control load to the boiler.
    Heating schedule etc all set up with schedules on the Vera and boost / 1hr heating options too.

From there..... plug ins to control lamps all over downstairs.... RGB controllers and led strips for some recessed lighting in the attic and some top of counter lighting in the kitchen. Harmony hub for front room (already had one for sitting room).

More recent additions.... another RGB which I’ve yet to find a home for, the outdoor lights (both front and back) controlled by switches.
    2 Echo Dots and the new 2nd gen echo for voice control of it all. Harmony hub for bedroom

Immediate future additions.... thermostat for more automated heating rather than on demand app or shouting at Alexa....z wave module for control of last remaining external light circuit (was wired too far from where I was putting the switch / I got lazy). Control module to control actuator on valve handle for heating vs hot water control. Radiator valves for two radiators which are the wrong side of the valve and come on with the hot water (old install, much cheaper than reconfigure of pipework!).

Planned future additions.....
    door sensors for backdoor and bathroom door..... backdoor to knock on outside lights when you open the back door. Bathroom for late night toilet trips to get dimmed lights rather than eyeball searing 100% brightness.
    Z wave enable (either via insert module or replace switches) all 10 internal light switches....
    I reckon I’m 1 Xmas and 2 birthdays from all that.

What I’ve ended up with.....
    All normal lighting (lamps) turns on 2hrs before sunset
    Heating turns on 1hr before our usual post work arrival time.
    Lights turn off at 12:30.... (forgotting to turn this off leads to some alarmed guests).
    Front room light dims when the projector turns on, knocks off completely when you press play.... the wife’s niece and nephews nearly lost their minds with how “cool” that was.
    Lights and TVs can all be turned on / off with voice which as someone mentioned earlier is good when carrying a lazy man’s load and / or with baby in arms as you try to get out of the house.

It’s important to put it in perspective though, a lot is wants vs needs. The heating could be argued to be somewhat of a middle ground and a lot of the above purchases were off the back of Xmas or birthday one4alls / cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

Interesting Nelbert. Very similar set up.. the alarm driven sensing in my place was long before Alexa got her voice. Zwave pirs were ( at least) too slow mainly. Alexa now does the same for me through openhab.. albeit only when in the kitchen where she listens. I recently added the harmony stuff too. Neat when the kids need to come in for their food.

One funny side affect of the auto lights off after inactivity is how guests either notice at all or react. Some family members insist on turning off all lights every time they leave the room.. if the hang around for too long it turns back on again. :)
    Nelbert wrote: »

What I’ve ended up with.....
    All normal lighting (lamps) turns on 2hrs before sunset
    Heating turns on 1hr before our usual post work arrival time.
    Lights turn off at 12:30.... (forgotting to turn this off leads to some alarmed guests).
    Front room light dims when the projector turns on, knocks off completely when you press play.... the wife’s niece and nephews nearly lost their minds with how “cool” that was.
    Lights and TVs can all be turned on / off with voice which as someone mentioned earlier is good when carrying a lazy man’s load and / or with baby in arms as you try to get out of the house.

It’s important to put it in perspective though, a lot is wants vs needs. The heating could be argued to be somewhat of a middle ground and a lot of the above purchases were off the back of Xmas or birthday one4alls / cash.

Advertisement