Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Unit Recommendations for 3 Bed House contents

Options
  • 29-12-2017 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced storage unit for the contents of a 3 bed semi d house. We are moving house at the end of jan and need to store our furniture etc until the new build we are buying is ready. So far Storebox in Artane is the cheapest for €150 roughly for 8 weeks for 80 sq ft and then Ustoreit in finglas is roughly €180 for 5 weeks for 100 sq ft. Anyone used these before or have any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

I’ve used UStoreIt in Finglas and currently use them in Charlestown and found them great to deal with. Reasonable prices and easy to access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Also used UStoreIt at the back of Denis O'Mahony across from Charlestown. If you've a lot of loose stuff get boxes and you can stack them roof height. Any other furniture you can take apart and fit more in. Can't remember the exact size but we ended up with one of the bigger lockers.

You can organise out of hours access for yourself if you need it and they're good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

The usual contents of a 3-bed home will not fit into 80sq.ft. That's 10ft x 8ft - the size of a bathroom! The typical 3-bed contents (assuming that you have furniture) will require 125-150 sq ft!
    Make sure that your stuff is adequately insured!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Thanks everyone this is a great help. I can get 160 sq ft for €223 which might be a better option then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’d definitely second the recommendation on insurance. A friend of mine lost items in a fire at a storage unit. Double check the level of insurance provided.

A lot of the storage companies will do good offers for the first few months, but then prices can increase. So check out their pricing structure for a few months, just in case you find yourself having to use storage for longer than originally planned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Used U-Store in Ballymount... it was great. Got at 100sqft unit and stored the contents of our 3 bed in it, you will need to pack it in tight and to full height tho.

Anybody have any issues with damp? Somebody has recommended that I look at heated storage units but a lot of the ones I am tempted to go with are water tight containers.

I would not use a container that is located outside at this time of the year - damp is a real possibility! For a relatively short period of time the cost difference between a "proper" storage facility and a row of containers parked in a field will be small!

C3PO wrote: »
    I would not use a container that is located outside at this time of the year - damp is a real possibility! For a relatively short period of time the cost difference between a "proper" storage facility and a row of containers parked in a field will be small!

I am worried about damp. However the majority I have found seem to be containers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nerd Queen wrote: »
    Anybody have any issues with damp? Somebody has recommended that I look at heated storage units but a lot of the ones I am tempted to go with are water tight containers.
    However the majority I have found seem to be containers!

Not with the likes of UStoreIT you won't, they're basically giant lockers in a warehouse. Many businesses also use them to store merchandise so wouldn't do so if they were going to get damaged or smelly.

• Advertisement

I am worried about damp. However the majority I have found seem to be containers!

Are you based in Dublin? If so, U-Store It have a number of branches in Dublin as do Space Storage. There is also Elephant Storage and quite a few others too!

C3PO wrote: »
    Are you based in Dublin? If so, U-Store It have a number of branches in Dublin as do Space Storage. There is also Elephant Storage and quite a few others too!

Yes I am but in terms of efficient journey from our house the nearest places are containers. I'll look at it again tonight, elephant storage were mad money but U-Store it might be the cheapest option. Have 3 diff companies coming out to price doing the moving and storing for us so we'll see what they have to say. That will inform us on sorting this out :).

I don't want to appear cheap just trying to make sure I spend money in the best way possible as moving house is an expensive time as I'm you know:D! Particularly cos we are buying a new build so there are certain things we will have to pay out on immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I looked at storage containers and although U-Store came in at twice the price I figured it was worth it (only needed it for a month). Like others have said, my concern with a container in a yard was damp... Could have been fine, but if mould grows on something it is pretty hard to kill if off forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

theres nesta in santry which sounds like it might be near you?
    not sure on priceing though

https://www.nesta.ie/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We used Storage World on the South Curcular Road and I really liked their setup, ease of acces, cleanliness etc. I know they’re probably not a great location for you, but the standard was good.

Advertisement