Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting house as two units?

Options
  • 29-12-2017 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a question regarding the possible renting of a house with 4 bedrooms; I would like to rent this property through the HAP Scheme. I have 4 bedrooms on two different floors, and would like to rent this house to two sisters, who both have one child each.

Would there be a problem doing this i.e renting it as two, two roomed accommodations? Would i encounter issues with HAP etc if I went this route, I'm kinda doing a favor, while trying to maximize the income from it?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I can't imagine HAP paying two, separate bills for one house, it makes no sense. They will only pay a certain amount per household, especially if they're sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dar100 wrote: »
    Would there be a problem doing this i.e renting it as two, two roomed accommodations?
    Do you have planning permission and a fire safety certificate to sub-divide the property?

Is there two kitchens, two bathrooms, etc.?

Ok new question , can I rent said people 4 rooms, at room rates through HAP?

I'm sure I can rent 4 individual rooms to 4 people all off whom are on HAP? So, should I be able to do this to two people with two children?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dar100 wrote: »
    Ok new question , can I rent said people 4 rooms, at room rates through HAP?

I'm sure I can rent 4 individual rooms to 4 people all off whom are on HAP? So, should I be able to do this to two people with two children?

I would imagine no. HAP check the numbers of people against the number of bedrooms etc

Also, if your dwelling is one single dwelling then it can only be rented to one tenant also. That tenant may have a partner and children.

Basically you cannot screw the system to try get 2 rents for one property.

If you get planning to split into 2 flats, then get your fire cert and DAC then you can rent it to 2 separate parties.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »

Also, if your dwelling is one single dwelling then it can only be rented to one tenant also. That tenant may have a partner and children.

Are you sure about that, I know for sure that people renting individual rooms could avail of rent allowance for their room only so you could have multiple seperate tenants gettimg seperate rent allowances. Maybe it's different with hap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Are you splitting the house in two? Bathroom and kitchen upstairs and downstairs? Or will they share kitchen downstairs?

kceire wrote: »
    I would imagine no. HAP check the numbers of people against the number of bedrooms etc

Basically you cannot screw the system to try get 2 rents for one property.

If you get planning to split into 2 flats, then get your fire cert and DAC then you can rent it to 2 separate parties.

I'm not trying to screw anyone, infact, I'd be saving the tax payer in the end.

A single person can rent a room in the house on HAP, therefore, 4 people can rent individual rooms, there are 4 rooms.

Instead of renting it to 4 individuals I'm looking to rent it to two families.

Ah sure il just rent it to 4 individuals on HAP and charge twice as much as I'd of been charging the two mothers

You sure about that, I know for sure that people renting individual rooms could avail of rent allowance for their room only so you could have multiple seperate tenants gettimg seperate rent allowances. Maybe it's different with hap though.

You are correct and HAP is the same

Advertisement