Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Clubs at Weston

Options
  • 29-12-2017 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

I recently completed my PPL and I am eager to fly. Due to where I live Weston is my preferred base however I am struggling to find available fixed wing aircrafts.

I am aware the AFC plane is out of action at the moment which does not help matters, but I have tried contacting Dublin Flyers and TFC and both don't seem interested in accepting new members at this moment in time.

I am flying with NFC but obviously this is more expensive and as a result its not really a long term solution. Also, they are very busy these days and its not always possible to get an aircraft, especially at the weekends.

I suppose my query is firstly is there any clubs / companies I am overlooking at Weston for aircraft rental?

Secondly, is there a demand for another club/aircraft at Weston for rental?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Leinster aero club?
    Are the weston wing wobblers a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Are the weston wing wobblers a club?

they are a social club, in a sense that they are organizing fly-outs and events for private aircraft owners/groups, but there's no aircraft for hire.

it all comes down to insurance, situation is not great at the moment - Allianz moved aviation insurance out of Ireland last year, all we're left with now is brokers who don't like clubs in a classical sense.

if you're serious about your flying, look into buying a share. Do not buy a share if you only want to hour build for CPL. Getting your money out when you want to leave wont be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Congrats on the ppl Eoin , how were the new style written exams ?

Trim flying cub operate out of Weston afaik. I see them parked there quite often and google says the same.

I'd ask around , some of the full time instructors would know of the shared aircraft on site. A good check-ride with them will give you something to vouch with, although are you certain you want to buy a share ? what is the end goal here ??

CAVok,
    Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Congrats on the PPL.

Might be completely out of the way for you but there's a few guys from Weston who fly out of the club in Waterford. Aircraft usually works out at 98-140ish per hour depending on what you want to fly (plus €1 per T&G), which if you want to do a good bit of flying it might be worth your while giving it a go - especially if you want to hour build.

Give them a shout - might be useful, or may be too much hassle if you want to one hour here or there.

Best of luck with the flying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Trim would be the obvious one. Not sure about GSM. I think they require a minimum of 100 hours, and last I heard they were full up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Echo Oscar India November

Fionn101 wrote: »
    Congrats on the ppl Eoin , how were the new style written exams ?

Trim flying cub operate out of Weston afaik. I see them parked there quite often and google says the same.

I'd ask around , some of the full time instructors would know of the shared aircraft on site. A good check-ride with them will give you something to vouch with, although are you certain you want to buy a share ? what is the end goal here ??

CAVok,
    Fionn

Hi Fionn,

I had the old style (JAA) exams. I think I was the last, in just before the change.

Thanks for the info. No end goal, I was just wondering was the demand therefor another flying club in Weston.

b757 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PPL.

Might be completely out of the way for you but there's a few guys from Weston who fly out of the club in Waterford. Aircraft usually works out at 98-140ish per hour depending on what you want to fly (plus €1 per T&G), which if you want to do a good bit of flying it might be worth your while giving it a go - especially if you want to hour build.

Give them a shout - might be useful, or may be too much hassle if you want to one hour here or there.

Best of luck with the flying anyway.

Waterford is a bit of a spin for me but its worth a look, thanks. Is the €1 T&G for visiting aircraft also? If so it would be a good place to practice.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Trim would be the obvious one. Not sure about GSM. I think they require a minimum of 100 hours, and last I heard they were full up.

Agreed, Trim seem like the obvious choice but i don't think they are taking new PPL's. Who are GSM?

Advertisement