Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant wants to leave...

Options
  • 29-12-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I am renting to a tenant who has informed me he wants to leave to move in with his girlfriend. He has been in the accommodation since 7th December 2016 so just over 1 year. This is my first time dealing with this so a few questions:
    What is the notice period? Rtb says 6 weeks as its over a year but that's in the section where detailing where landlord wants tenant to leave. Is it the same when the tenant hands in his notice?
    Rent would be due on 7th January so do I inform him that rent is to be paid on this date to cover notice period?
    I will advertise asap and not delay the process so if I can get someone lined up before the notice period expires and he has left or is willing to leave I will reimburse any overlap. Is this the correct procedure?
    In terms of cleaning do I ask him to have the place as he moved in and arrange to have it checked etc? What if additional cleaning is needed or wear and tear need replacing? Do I do this while he is still there?
    In terms of the deposit I will refund all unless I am out of pocket for cleaning or loss of rent.

Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

- Treat the tenant as you'd like top be treated.
    - Explain that he needs to give notice but you'll keep it as short as possible if he facilitates viewings. Yes refund any overlap.
    - Ask him to clean and be prepared to give the place a once over yourself.
    - Don't confuse wear and tear with damage. You pay for wear and tear, he pays for damage.
    - DO NOT let him use the deposit in lieu of rent on the 7th.
    - You arrange a hand over the day of move out and do your checks then, be prepared to return the deposit then by bank transfer.
    - Take meter readings - ideally by photograph

I'm sure I'll think of more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

GarIT wrote: »
    No. This section does not reply in the reverse. I'm not sure if the tenant has a legally required notice period but I think they might not have to give any notice other than what is in the lease.

?????????

Notice the tenant in this case must give by law is 42 days.

It's s.f.a. to do with a lease.

" The amount of notice you are required to give depends on how long you have been in your tenancy:

Duration of Tenancy Notice Period
    Under 6 months 28 days
    Over 6 months but under 1 year 35 days
    Over 1 year but under 2 years 42 days
    Over 2 years but under 3 years 56 days
    Over 3 years but under 4 years 56 days
    Over 4 years but under 5 years 84 days
    Over 5 years but under 6 years 84 days
    Over 6 years but under 7 years 84 days
    Over 7 years but under 8 years 84 days
    8 or more years 112 days"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Am I missing anything?

The tenant doesn't pay for wear and tear, that's your duty as a landlord, he is only responsible for any damage caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Galadriel wrote: »
    The tenant doesn't pay for wear and tear, that's your duty as a landlord, he is only responsible for any damage caused.

I know he doesn't pay for wear and tear I just meant do I take care of this while he is still there or wait till he has left etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Make sure he cleans the fuggin' oven. Properly. Check all the light bulbs are working, inc fridge, oven and hood. I got a place back once and there was hardly a light working in the place but didn’t notice because the keys were handed back in daylight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement