Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen oil

Options
  • 30-12-2017 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys

Trying to find out some info for one of my friends.

She is renting and the landlord and her boyfriend live in the house. They recently got a full tank off oil, but she just got a message from landlord to say all the oil was taken and they have to buy more.

I'm just wondering what rights does she have as she is paying rent and has already paid her share for.a full tank of oil. Surely it is the landlords responsibility to secure the oil.

And info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

She's a licencee. Her rights are that she can be kicked out if the landlord wants. So while she may not have to pay for the stolen oil the landlord does not have to let her live there if she does not pay for the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

She has already paid for the oil, they got a full tank last week. The landlord txt her today asking her for more money to pay for another tank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

they're all in the same boat tho as the oil was stolen. Not like the LL is trying to screw your friend. It's a kick in the nuts but it's the fairest approach at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

If the oil did get stolen then its prob only fair that all 3 pay again for it. Unless one or all each claim their own contents insurance etc..

What Del2005 is saying tho that she can stand her ground and say feck that I already paid, but if she doesn't pay for the new tank, the landlord could easily say feck it and kick her out with little notice for any reason.

Probably just one of those unfortunate incidents.

If I were in your friends position, I would make sure the following

1 - The original tank of oil was actually paid for and the LL isnt at it (Wouldn't go guns blazin accusatory on this, but some fact finding)
    2 - The theft was reported to the Guardai
    3 - The LL puts some extra locks etc on the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Did they report it to the Garda? Is it covered on the house insurance? Did they check the tank is actually empty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Pay in periodically or monthly. You pay for oil months in advance. What happens if you have to leave for whatever reason? Ye gonna get to take your remaining oil with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Del2005 is trying to point out that your friend has no tenancy, very little rights, and no real security of tenure.

However why is it that the LL can not claim it off insurance if it was stolen??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

km991148 wrote: »
    If the oil did get stolen then its prob only fair that all 3 pay again for it. Unless one or all each claim their own contents insurance etc..

What Del2005 is saying tho that she can stand her ground and say feck that I already paid, but if she doesn't pay for the new tank, the landlord could easily say feck it and kick her out with little notice for any reason.

Probably just one of those unfortunate incidents.

If I were in your friends position, I would make sure the following

1 - The original tank of oil was actually paid for and the LL isnt at it (Wouldn't go guns blazin accusatory on this, but some fact finding)
    2 - The theft was reported to the Guardai
    3 - The LL puts some extra locks etc on the tank.
    Boater123 wrote: »
    Del2005 is trying to point out that your friend has no tenancy, very little rights, and no real security of tenure.

However why is it that the LL can not claim it off insurance if it was stolen??
    prinzeugen wrote: »
    Did they report it to the Garda? Is it covered on the house insurance? Did they check the tank is actually empty?

3 good answers in 3 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'd be keen to have a look at the receipt for the oil delivery. Usually you get one in the letter box on delivery and then one in the post upon payment.
    I'm going to guess the landlord has neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JJayoo wrote: »
    she just got a message from landlord to say all the oil was taken and they have to buy more.
    Sounds like a 'story'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

There was a lane behind our row of houses when I was younger and the oil from the tanks that were along the wall was stolen quite a lot.
    Locks on the tanks didn't help. They used to drill a hole it the backs of the tanks and take the oil out anyway if they were locked.

They would never empty the full tanks and people wouldn't notice at all. You had to have a lock and then check for holes every day if you wanted to notice.
    The gardai weren't interested and the insurance companies stopped covering oil.
    Someone even had a camera up and filmed a van stopping against the wall one night and the gardai weren't interested.

The culprits park a van, put a hose in the tank and fill a few barrels they have in the van.

Best solution is get gas and if you cant, get the tanks moved away from outside walls. It doesn't help when they bring a long hose, but it's better than doing nothing.

The gardai even told us that probably oil is stolen from most tanks and not noticed as they don't empty them in one go. It's very common.
    Check with the insurance company if they cover it. They might, but they might not cover it the next time. Also put a seal of some sort, like shrink wrap, on the tank lid and check every day, and also check the tank for holes all around.
    That's just info given to us from the gardai, but the people who do it will not be stopped and you won't ever get your oil back, but it's very unlikely there is more than a barrel or two gone.
    And don't put a lock on it because if they come back you'll just end up with a hole in your tank and if it's too low you will have to get a new tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

KellyXX wrote: »
    There was a lane behind our row of houses when I was younger and the oil from the tanks that were along the wall was stolen quite a lot.
    Locks on the tanks didn't help. They used to drill a hole it the backs of the tanks and take the oil out anyway if they were locked.

They would never empty the full tanks and people wouldn't notice at all. You had to have a lock and then check for holes every day if you wanted to notice.
    Someone even had a camera up and filmed a van stopping against the wall one night and the gardai weren't interested.

The culprits park a van, put a hose in the tank and fill a few barrels they have in the van.

Best solution is get gas and if you cant, get the tanks moved away from outside walls. It doesn't help when they bring a long hose, but it's better than doing nothing.

The gardai even told us that probably oil is stolen from most tanks and not noticed as they don't empty them in one go. It's very common.
    Check with the insurance company if they cover it. They might, but they might not cover it the next time. Also put a seal of some sort, like shrink wrap, on the tank lid and check every day, and also check the tank for holes all around.
    That's just info given to us from the gardai, but the people who do it will not be stopped and you won't ever get your oil back, but it's very unlikely there is more than a barrel or two gone.
    And don't put a lock on it because if they come back you'll just end up with a hole in your tank and if it's too low you will have to get a new tank.

Jesus that's absolutely crazy.
    I was always wondering why a lot of houses in Ireland have their backyards separated by concrete walls instead of fences.

KellyXX wrote: »

It's got so bad in some parts of the country that people are using 40 gallon steel drums in sheds and filling them themselves instead of having bulk oil delivered, because they were following the delivery truck and emptying the tanks within a few nights. They even stopped using drills or opening the lid to get into plastic tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I don't think the landlord could have done anything unfortunately.

When I moved back out to the countryside my heating method moved from piped gas to oil/kerosene.

I considered putting a lock on the tank but heard the stories of tanks being drilled and output lines being cut. That's an even bigger problem as you will possibly need a new tank. Also if the powers that be found out the spillage from that might require the soil around it to the professionally removed as it's an environmental hazard. Although in fairness you could get away with that.

So I think you just got unlucky. Some shower of c**ts out there, no respect for people's property :-(

Edit - my father would be very security conscious/paranoid and he doesn't bother with a lock on his tank for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Just to add a few more bit of info. The house is in Galway in an estate which is made up.mostly of students. When she asked about getting a lock for the tank the landlord refused saying that will.make you more of a target. Didn't report it to the guards and won't contact insurance about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just to add a few more bit of info. The house is in Galway in an estate which is made up.mostly of students. When she asked about getting a lock for the tank the landlord refused saying that will.make you more of a target. Didn't report it to the guards and won't contact insurance about it.
    Shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

a lock only keeps an honest man out.

if I was in a licensee situation where I could leave at any time I would not want to be buying months worth of oil. surely you can pay your share monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Why don't you report it to the gardai if you think it will help.
    Sure it was your oil too that was stolen. You are also a victim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Why won t the Guards do anything about . What a bloody corrupt dodgy country we live in

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Why won t the Guards do anything about . What a bloody corrupt dodgy country we live in

Because even if they catch the culprits red handed nothing will happen to them. A person was caught in my car trying to steal it, after 2 court cases and several years they got off. Even if convicted they usually have so many others that it doesn't bother them. While waiting for the 1st court case was sitting beside several of our troubled children, the scumbag was a child when trying to steal my car, and one was bragging how they'd stolen the clothes for the court case.

A lock on an oil tank is worthless. They are so many easier ways to get the oil out than climbing to the top of the tank that the scumbags don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Scumbags, absolute scumbags. Robbing oil from schools aswell they are, twice in one week from a school I know.

Op, you got some good advice here. All three should chip in. Secure the tank, put up one of those fake CCTV cameras, cover in brambles, and be aware of your surroundings. These people will have surveyed the area and planned it weeks in advance, they are likely living in a 5 mile radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Not unless you are an important person, and that's a fact.

Imagine something like this happened in Texas . They could be blown away for trespassing on your property and nothing would be done to the person that fired the gun

Victor wrote: »
    Shenanigans.

It's really not. Locks will not deter thieves and may make the situation worse as they will damage the tank or lines to steal the kerosene.

But I wouldn't be going buying a few months worth of oil in one go either. Get a couple of drums and fill them every week or two.

Imagine something like this happened in Texas . They could be blown away for trespassing on your property and nothing would be done to the person that fired the gun

But the thieves would probably have their own guns as well in Texas. I get your sentiment but the problem here is the judges giving out soft sentences if any at all. That's why the guards can't be bothered. They do all the work only for little johnny to get a slap on the wrist and be out the next night stealing more oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm proud to live in a country where people aren't summarily executed for trespass.

Why more people don't have their oil tanks in sheds/garages which can be locked is a strange one. Especially as most people who use oil live rurally and have the space for it. our kerosene and road diesel tanks are both inside a garage, even if it's not locked they can't be seen or accessed easily which is more than half the battle.

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm proud to live in a country where people aren't summarily executed for trespass.

Well anyone trespassing on someone's property isn't merely doing it for the scenic route . Would you feel the same if they decided to extend the tour inside your house . Would you feel.as proud that in the process of defending your wife and kids from a certain threat you ended up with jail time because you either severely injured or killed the intruders because you overstepped your boundries on what our stupid government and law makers consider excess force

Why more people don't have their oil tanks in sheds/garages which can be locked is a strange one. Especially as most people who use oil live rurally and have the space for it. our kerosene and road diesel tanks are both inside a garage, even if it's not locked they can't be seen or accessed easily which is more than half the battle.

Because most people installed their tanks before theft from them became so common. It's not that long ago that my rural living relatives never locked their house or car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well anyone trespassing on someone's property isn't merely doing it for the scenic route . Would you feel the same if they decided to extend the tour inside your house . Would you feel.as proud that in the process of defending your wife and kids from a certain threat you ended up with jail time because you either severely injured or killed the intruders because you overstepped your boundries on what our stupid government and law makers consider excess force
    Yes, I would feel the same. HTH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement