Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen oil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Why won t the Guards do anything about . What a bloody corrupt dodgy country we live in

Only a person who has never needed to gardai to solve a crime against them would post this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

JJayoo wrote: »
    Just to add a few more bit of info. The house is in Galway in an estate which is made up.mostly of students. When she asked about getting a lock for the tank the landlord refused saying that will.make you more of a target. Didn't report it to the guards and won't contact insurance about it.

How much did the oil cost a week ago? How much was delivered? Has your friend any evidence by way of receipt from the oil company for how much was delivered?
    In their shoes I would be feeling dubious about the story if the LL won’t report the theft to the Gardai. I would also ask why he won’t check if he can claim from the house insurance.

In future I would say that instead of filling the tank they should get regular smaller deliveries & not pay up front. The LL could charge them a monthly amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Del2005 wrote: »
    Because even if they catch the culprits red handed nothing will happen to them. A person was caught in my car trying to steal it, after 2 court cases and several years they got off. Even if convicted they usually have so many others that it doesn't bother them. While waiting for the 1st court case was sitting beside several of our troubled children, the scumbag was a child when trying to steal my car, and one was bragging how they'd stolen the clothes for the court case.

A lock on an oil tank is worthless. They are so many easier ways to get the oil out than climbing to the top of the tank that the scumbags don't bother.

If I was a guard I'd wonder why bother.

Saw this

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/home/289136/drug-addict-used-fake-50-notes-to-buy-car-in-holycross.html

They have " 181 previous convictions, 110 of these for theft,"

Headline said she got six months....but it's to run concurrently with an existing 10 month sentence?

I guess it keeps the judges and solicitors paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She is renting and the landlord and her boyfriend live in the house. They recently got a full tank off oil, but she just got a message from landlord to say all the oil was taken and they have to buy more.
    Didn't report it to the guards
    Not reporting the theft to the Gardai makes me wonder if the oil ever existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Odelay

the_syco wrote: »
    Not reporting the theft to the Gardai makes me wonder if the oil ever existed.

That is my guess too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Odelay wrote: »
    That is my guess too.

Same. I wonder if the LL slightly over-extended themselves over the festive season and is now trying to make a fast few quid. Or else the original batch of oil was never ordered and the money was spent on something else, but now the oil is running out and they need to order more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you don't report to Guards and make a statement the crime won't be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP; stick a clean pole into the oil tank, and see if the oil actually went missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

elperello wrote: »
    If you don't report to Guards and make a statement the crime won't be recorded.

And if you do they'll report that a million litres was stolen from 300 homes.

Our crime statistics are already high, with a lot of crimes unreported, so another oil tank robbery being reported is not going to change anything. Insurance doesn't cover it, even if the Gardaí catch someone how do they prove that the oil came from the tank. If they do investigate and get a conviction the person will be doing it again tomorrow. So what's the point of someone wasting a few hours of their live over Christmas to report a crime that just becomes another statistic?

Non reporting of criminal incidents deprives the Gardai of one of the most important tools of their trade. Intelligence (information) is vital in the fight against all types of crime.

A straightforward statement by a victim of a non-violent robbery will usually only take about half an hour once you get in contact with the investigating officer.

It's your civic duty and you may help in solving or preventing some other crime even if you don't gain anything directly yourself.

• Advertisement

Non reporting of criminal incidents deprives the Gardai of one of the most important tools of their trade. Intelligence (information) is vital in the fight against all types of crime.

A straightforward statement by a victim of a non-violent robbery will usually only take about half an hour once you get in contact with the investigating officer.

It's your civic duty and you may help in solving or preventing some other crime even if you don't gain anything directly yourself.

The Gardaí know exactly who is stealing in their area. Even when they catch them nothing happens.

Sometimes even the smallest detail can help to put a case together.

A neighbour might have reported a suspicious vehicle in the area.
    A patrol might have seen a known criminal in the area about the time of the crime.
    A checkpoint might even have stopped a van with a few cans of oil in the back.

If the Garda don't even know you've been robbed how can they help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

I would suggest your friend tell the landlord:
    "Grand, I'm still going to contact the Gardai first as this was my oil too that was stolen"
    Then ask the landlord to have all the receipts of the oil delivery available for the Gardai.
    The landlords reaction would show if shenanigans are occurring.

Sometimes even the smallest detail can help to put a case together.

A neighbour might have reported a suspicious vehicle in the area.
    A patrol might have seen a known criminal in the area about the time of the crime.
    A checkpoint might even have stopped a van with a few cans of oil in the back.

If the Garda don't even know you've been robbed how can they help you?

You aren't getting the oil back even if the scumbags are sent down for life. So what help will the Gardai be? Yeah they could get a conviction, the scumbag doesn't care about them as if convicted they get free room and board if they get a custodial sentence. The only people who benefit are the solicitors, who are paid for by the person who was stolen from! So not only are you down several hundred Euro of oil you have the pleasure of paying for the defence of the person charged with stealing it. And how do you proof, beyond doubt, that the oil in the drums in the back of a vehicle came from a certain tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Might be an idea for the landlord to install one of these:

https://www.tanks.ie/watchman-alarm.html

It would pay for itself very quickly if the thieves were to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You aren't getting the oil back even if the scumbags are sent down for life. So what help will the Gardai be? Yeah they could get a conviction, the scumbag doesn't care about them as if convicted they get free room and board if they get a custodial sentence. The only people who benefit are the solicitors, who are paid for by the person who was stolen from! So not only are you down several hundred Euro of oil you have the pleasure of paying for the defence of the person charged with stealing it. And how do you proof, beyond doubt, that the oil in the drums in the back of a vehicle came from a certain tank?
    You do realise that posts like this are almost facilitating the thieves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mokeydope

Any decent landlord should have produced a receipt when the oil was paid for originally

Doesn't sound right anyhow this

Victor wrote: »
    You do realise that posts like this are almost facilitating the thieves?

The thieves know the system better than any of us. The ineffective judicial system, and solicitors on the free legal aid gravy train, is what facilitates the thieves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The thieves know the system better than any of us. The ineffective judicial system, and solicitors on the free legal aid gravy train, is what facilitates the thieves.

The thief is possibly the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Why more people don't have their oil tanks in sheds/garages which can be locked is a strange one. Especially as most people who use oil live rurally and have the space for it. our kerosene and road diesel tanks are both inside a garage, even if it's not locked they can't be seen or accessed easily which is more than half the battle.

My oil was stolen a few years ago. I was advised to get a lock for it by most people but a relative who is a fitter advised me not to as if the tank is locked the thieves just stick a spike in the tank meaning they not only steal your oil but you have to replace the tank and the soil around it is badly polluted. So I bought one of these sheds in Argos, built it around the tanks and locked it. And no more problems with stolen oil. It mightn't be the most secure shed on earth but there is no obviously easy way to steal the oil so the thieves will just move on to an easier target.

I also bought the shed when it was half price and it leaves me secure to buy the oil by the 1000ltr, which is discounted. And means I never run out of oil so can top up when oil prices are lower rather than running out in mid-Jan and having to buy regardless of the price.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7058505/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/3%7C19285823%7CSheds%2C+greenhouses+and+storage%7C14418827/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418827%7CMetal+sheds%7C14418834.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

aido79 wrote:

That sounds like a cool idea but could said thief not just smash it with a hammer? I'm wondering can you get a large mesh cage for an oil tank? Something that would at least require some time and bolt cutters that could move them on to the next tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That sounds like a cool idea but could said thief not just smash it with a hammer? I'm wondering can you get a large mesh cage for an oil tank? Something that would at least require some time and bolt cutters that could move them on to the next tank.
    Yes, google "oil tank cage".

But that could be defeated in seconds with appropriate tools, and looks fugly.

A concrete block enclosure would be better (needs a hammer drill) but it would need some sort of access for filling, and that would make it susceptible to siphoning, unless the hatch had a lock, and that lock could itself be defeated.

Nonetheless I reckon a block-built enclosure is the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

aido79 wrote: »

https://www.tanks.ie/watchman-alarm.html

It would pay for itself very quickly if the thieves were to come back.

About as useful as a bull in a China shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i know of one case where a guy built a cage around his tank. he used steel mesh panels to build it because he wanted to put a gas bottle or 2 in aswell and was worried a sealed shed could trap the gas and explode.

anyway the thieves got a copper pipe and heated the end of it . then melted it through the tank . the mesh served no purpose , only acted at a stand for the pipe.

a concrete shed with concrete roof and thick steel door is the closest you can get to it being secure

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

anyway the thieves got a copper pipe and heated the end of it . then melted it through the tank . the mesh served no purpose , only acted at a stand for the pipe
    A steel tank in a cage would not suffer that fate.

With sufficient distance from tank to cage it would be difficult to drill, although then the cage itself could be attacked with angle grinder or bolt croppers.

Lumen wrote: »
    A steel tank in a cage would not suffer that fate.

With sufficient distance from tank to cage it would be difficult to drill, although then the cage itself could be attacked with angle grinder or bolt croppers.

yes but every way has its weakness. thieves will find a way through anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

thieves will find a way through anything.

The odds are that if your tank is more difficult to access they'll move on to an easier target. We don't live in some sort of post-peak oil dystopia where oil is rare and thieves will stop at nothing to get at it. If your property is protected that bit better than the same property of 100 people around you, it's not you who is likely to be robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is there any proof that the oil was stolen?
    They could be trying it on.

iguana wrote: »
    The odds are that if your tank is more difficult to access they'll move on to an easier target. We don't live in some sort of post-peak oil dystopia where oil is rare and thieves will stop at nothing to get at it. If your property is protected that bit better than the same property of 100 people around you, it's not you who is likely to be robbed.

I agree. if you can make it less difficult for them they will go elsewhere.
    my point is that there are 10 ok ways to secure a tank and all of them are easy enough to get around.
    to really stop them you need to up your game and learn from the ones that can the got around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Just to add a few more bit of info. The house is in Galway in an estate which is made up.mostly of students. When she asked about getting a lock for the tank the landlord refused saying that will.make you more of a target. Didn't report it to the guards and won't contact insurance about it.

So a lock on a house makes a house more a target?

Totally incorrect.

Thieves will always target easy pickings. Only when easy picking dry up do they target the harder ones.

There will be plenty of houses with full tank and no lock - they will be targeted first.

Get a tank lock and insist that only 500 litres of oil is purchased at a time - might cost an extra tenner, but makes you less of a target.

Also, while you're at it, see when the boiler was last serviced - a badly performing boiler can see a huge amount of wasted oil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement