Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen oil

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

yes but every way has its weakness. thieves will find a way through anything.
    Indeed they will but they will go for the easy pickings first. Anything at all that makes life that wee bit more difficult for them acts as a partial deterrent as these guys want to get in and out as fast as possible.

Slightly off topic but also slightly relevant to the discussion, I recall buying a heavy duty chain (think it was about 5ft - 6ft long) a number of years ago when I would have been visiting Dublin several times a year and parking the car overnight on the street. The intention was to wrap the chain around the steering wheel and down round the brake pedal and put a padlock on it.

However the chain was too short so I just let it hang over the steering wheel (with padlock exposed) and the other end sitting on the pedal. Never had a bit of bother. My thinking was that if any would be car thief was walking along the street checking out cars then he wasnt going to chance something with that set up showing as there were a lot of other cars to choose that had no chains and padlocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Victor wrote: »
    You do realise that posts like this are almost facilitating the thieves?

https://extra.ie/news/real-life/who-says-crime-doesnt-pay-i-was-robbed-then-spat-on-by-gang-member

Now.. do you think the op will get his oil back, will he be compensated, will there be satisfaction.
    NO

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭elperello

mikeecho wrote: »
    https://extra.ie/news/real-life/who-says-crime-doesnt-pay-i-was-robbed-then-spat-on-by-gang-member

Now.. do you think the op will get his oil back, will he be compensated, will there be satisfaction.
    NO

An interesting article.
    It does not make a case for non reporting of crime but for reform of sentencing policy.

elperello wrote: »
    An interesting article.
    It does not make a case for non reporting of crime but for reform of sentencing policy.

And in the mean time, reporting stolen oil, which will never be recovered, and without a witness to the oil being taken, and proof of who took it, will just be an additional waste of time and resources.

My oil was stolen once, I reported it to the local gardai, but in an informal manner. I didn't make a written statement, and didn't want it recorded on pulse, cos it would only be a waste of everyone's time.
    But I just wanted them to be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

And in the mean time, reporting stolen oil, which will never be recovered, and without a witness to the oil being taken, and proof of who took it, will just be an additional waste of time and resources.

My oil was stolen once, I reported it to the local gardai, but in an informal manner. I didn't make a written statement, and didn't want it recorded on pulse, cos it would only be a waste of everyone's time.
    But I just wanted them to be aware.

Without it being recorded on pulse is there any record?

If there is no record then it was a waste of time.

My feeling is that all crimes should be reported, at least the statistics can then (hopefully) be used as an argument to increase spending on Gardai etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Superintendent to Sergeant : "How many robberies this week Sergeant?"
    Sergeant to Superintendent : "Five sir and some guy in the pub told Seamus that he was robbed"
    Superintendent to Sergeant : "Five it is so"

A police force doing what police are supposed to do are never wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

elperello wrote: »
    Superintendent to Sergeant : "How many robberies this week Sergeant?"
    Sergeant to Superintendent : "Five sir and some guy in the pub told Seamus that he was robbed"
    Superintendent to Sergeant : "Five it is so"

A police force doing what police are supposed to do are never wasting their time.

so round it off to 15 it is sarg

so round it off to 15 it is sarg

Crimes are rounded down... allegedly..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Crimes are rounded down... allegedly..

not the breathalyser figures

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You aren't going to embarrass the state in to more policing provision if crimes go unreported. Detection rates falling to even lower levels is about all that works to force more resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

L1011 wrote: »
    You aren't going to embarrass the state in to more policing provision if crimes go unreported. Detection rates falling to even lower levels is about all that works to force more resources.

They aren't embarrassed with the current situation where even on conviction nothing happens, so decreasing detection levels are not going to result in any changes.

As I said before the Gardai are well aware of who is doing the stealing. The whole system is corrupt and the biggest offenders are the solicitors, they make too much money for them to accept reform.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Del2005 wrote: »
    As I said before the Gardai are well aware of who is doing the stealing. The whole system is corrupt and the biggest offenders are the solicitors, they make too much money for them to accept reform.
    The gardai cannot tackle the thieves if people don't report the crimes. Also, you can't paint the whole force just because of your issues with them.
    As for the solicitors, you refer to them as the biggest offenders: offenders of what
    - stealing oil?
    As for the solicitors not accepting reform: reform is down to the politicians to propose and enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del2005 wrote: »
    They aren't embarrassed with the current situation where even on conviction nothing happens, so decreasing detection levels are not going to result in any changes.

It's politicians who get embarrassed, and hence release funding or push through reforms.

Your defeatist attitude is self fulfilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod note: the thread has really gone off topic. Thread closed, unless someone comes back with a good reason to re-open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement