Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to buy car on weekly terms

Options
  • 30-12-2017 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Had it up to here with old motors and spending out repairing on them - they just money pits (well our ones seem to be) - gonna have to bite bullet and get a new one.

Cheapest one been looking at is Dacia Sandero - 10grand , look a decent what you get especially for the price.

Do we be better off going credit union? - finance with car company? finance with bank? - buy one up in Northern Ireland and even save after paying out for VRT ?

Whats the best way to go or who with at this present time ... go no deposit to put down by the way, would have to get 100% finance even if that means paying higher apr rate I suppose ... pay over 5 years and dint want a balloon payment outstanding at the end ... am I asking too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why do you need to spend 10k as it really sounds like you will be struggling to repay that much. Why not spend around half or two thirds of that on a car that you are more comfortable with paying back?

Credit Union will probably be the most flexible around repayment plans and alot more forgiving if you skip a week or two than a bank. Bank will want you to buy from a registered dealer unless you borrow a personal loan rather than a car loan. Personal loans usually come with a higher interest rate as they generally are unsecured. I could be wrong but if going finance through a dealer then they will probably want some sort of deposit from you up front unless they give 100% finance at some ridiculous rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

would be struggling , but honestly so right fed up now with used cars and spending out on them to get them repaired - wouldnt even feel comfortable with a say 2014 car i would think because i would feel the person before has either thrashed it or has been an old driver pottering down to the shops and doing small runs and not getting it up to temperature which is also not good for the engine .

Only thing I would be happy with is brand spanking new now even if I could get for 39 a week or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

10k from credit union will be 45 quid a week. Would you really be putting that much into repairs etc

What did ya have and what went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

The 02 corolla 1.4 I used to own is now my brothers and was my sisters before that. It has done about 55,000 miles since I bought it and the only thing that it has needed outside of regular maintenance items was a coil pack and a flasher relay. Less that 50 euro in total. And it is still in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

racso1975 wrote:
    10k from credit union will be 45 quid a week. Would you really be putting that much into repairs etc

That's over 5 years I assume. Therefore op in 4 years you will have a 4 year old car that you will still be paying 45 a week for.
    Any repairs will be on top of this.

Few discussions on this topic but I still prefer to buy my car outright, maybe a small top up loan from cu. If you research enough it is very possible to get great value on used cars that have plenty of life left in them.

A new Dacia sandero would be my worst nightmare tbh.

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote: »

What did ya have and what went wrong?

2003 clio , misfiring, I have just bought set of plugs 26eur from halfords ... whipped out plug 3 & 4 and covered in oil (thats not a good sign is it, whats that head gasket or piston rings or something like that) after changing spark plugs someone said it could also be coil pack whats that another 50 quid + .. needs bushes as well engine is rocking a bit, car is showing its age in other places ... really makes you feel like cutting your losses - with these old cars of this age you start replacing something and then notice something else failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭kirving

Not being obtuse here, but you want a new car because you've spent €26 on plugs in Halfords which hasn't fixed the problem?

Anyway, absolutely go ahead and buy yourself a new car because you want one. Be under no illusion however that it will save you money on repairs, because it wont.

With a little direction from people on here you can upgrade your car for half the cost of a new one and have (almost certainly) reliable motoring for years. Post your budget, requirements, and what you like the look of on the roads and you'll get some good suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The problem here is that an 03 Clio is a rubbish bin. The other problem is that you are making a mountain out of a molehill, it sounds like the valve cover gasket is leaking, this is cheap easy fix, 4 new plugs, coils and valve cover gasket should come in at less than €200.

Even a brand new car will need €200 of maintenance a year.

If you make a wise choice in an older car it doesn't have to be a money pit. As above an older Corolla/ Civic should go on forever with only a slightly higher maintenance budget than a brand new car.

Not being obtuse here, but you want a new car because you've spent €26 on plugs in Halfords which hasn't fixed the problem?

Anyway, absolutely go ahead and buy yourself a new car because you want one. Be under no illusion however that it will save you money on repairs, because it wont.

With a little direction from people on here you can upgrade your car for half the cost of a new one and have (almost certainly) reliable motoring for years. Post your budget, requirements, and what you like the look of on the roads and you'll get some good suggestions.

no, its had a lot more thrown to it than that in monetary terms already - its just mounting up and up, theres no end , sometimes i think you just have to call it a day and it becomes uneconomical i think with old motors

The problem here is that an 03 Clio is a rubbish bin. The other problem is that you are making a mountain out of a molehill, it sounds like the valve cover gasket is leaking, this is cheap easy fix, 4 new plugs, coils and valve cover gasket should come in at less than €200.

Even a brand new car will need €200 of maintenance a year.

If you make a wise choice in an older car it doesn't have to be a money pit. As above an older Corolla/ Civic should go on forever with only a slightly higher maintenance budget than a brand new car.

no, have done the rocker gasket, the plugs on this clio buried right into the engine in metal tubes so even if rocker gasket was leaking i dont think it will get to plug threads and electrode - thats why i was thinking something expensive , maybe the oil rings on the pistons that would mean a stripdown. but no wonder the engine is running lumpy with all that oil on the plugs - number 1 and 2 plugs dry as a bone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A €10k will be roughly €200 a month. Every month!
    As has been said, if you buy the right used car you won't have issues. I have my Civic nearly 6 years and have spent €0 on repairs. Maintenance has been minimal beyond stuff like brake pads, shock absorbers, oil changes, wipers etc.
    There's so much middle ground between a good quality €2-3000 car and a new one.

A Sandero is basically a feckin Clio anyway.

you see i started of paying only 700quid for the car in the first place - so, fair enough if you get a pretty decent second hand motor (small car) what you looking at 2 or 3 grand at the very least to start off with and even then you could be buying a load of trouble

you see i started of paying only 700quid for the car in the first place - so, fair enough if you get a pretty decent second hand motor (small car) what you looking at 2 or 3 grand at the very least to start off with and even then you could be buying a load of trouble

If you know what you're looking at, you won't.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A €10k will be roughly €200 a month. Every month!
    As has been said, if you buy the right used car you won't have issues. I have my Civic nearly 6 years and have spent €0 on repairs. Maintenance has been minimal beyond stuff like brake pads, shock absorbers, oil changes, wipers etc.
    There's so much middle ground between a good quality €2-3000 car and a new one.

A Sandero is basically a feckin Clio anyway.

thats trouble , i havent got 2-3grand to spend on car i'd have to get a loan. And i dunno whether its just me or my luck but with second hand I go out spend about half hour 'test driving' the car I go and have look at .. and it might be OK .. buy the bleeding thing and within the next couple of weeks/months I find this and that wrong with it , something that you just never would be able to spot in a half hour test drive and then if I had known that wouldnt have bought it .

Then you have the NCT and all that lot - would be lovely to go 4 years with no worries of NCT.

Apart from its faults at the moment / faults aside - lovely motor the Clio is. nice to drive, nice to park , nice trip computer thingy sits on road good, good suspension (goes over bumps nices and smooth - our previous 2004 car was like a bone shaker compared to this clio) - Sandero seems to get mainly good reviews and I hate 3cylinder cars - detest them .. sandero 1.2 16v 4 cylinder at 10.500 I think at moment - really great price and some say really good for the money, more for A-B driving a bit boring in other ways but thats all we need, adecent car to get from a-b economical in petrol and not have to worry about NCT for another 4 years .. not really going to get it in a used secondhand car

Be nice maybe to get one with just one owner maybe because how much do they normally say a car looses value when its just driven off the the showroom drive?

If you know what you're looking at, you won't.

I am in no way a mechanic . But i will go out and look as much at the car as I can see in a half hour (if that) and drive it down the road ... no my problems I see is when I get it home, jack it up , get right under the car and find worn bushes, cracking brake hoses , things bodged up by the previous owners or their mechanics - bodged up exhausts or other things under the car .

Can you imagine most people being accomodating if when you went to see a secondhand motor , you getting out a car jack and giving it a good look over underneath and giving the engine a good going over and taking out spark plugs and looking at the engine oil and the like. especially if its a cheap secondhand motor - they wouldnt give you the time of day most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What's your mileage? If you want to spend 10k you could get a second-hand electric car and save on fuel to cover some of the depreciation cost and have little enough to go wrong with it

I am in no way a mechanic . But i will go out and look as much at the car as I can see in a half hour (if that) and drive it down the road ... no my problems I see is when I get it home, jack it up , get right under the car and find worn bushes, cracking brake hoses , things bodged up by the previous owners or their mechanics - bodged up exhausts or other things under the car .

Can you imagine most people being accomodating if when you went to see a secondhand motor , you getting out a car jack and giving it a good look over underneath and giving the engine a good going over and taking out spark plugs and looking at the engine oil and the like. especially if its a cheap secondhand motor - they wouldnt give you the time of day most of them

You get a mechanic to look st the car with you. The notion of not buying a quality brand used car because you're afraid of buying a heap of ****e and instead buying the cheapest new car which has the same engine as the car that's giving you trouble makes no sense.

Mooooo wrote: »
    What's your mileage? If you want to spend 10k you could get a second-hand electric car and save on fuel to cover some of the depreciation cost and have little enough to go wrong with it

oh i love the idea of an electric car myself. I think they are fab .. no way of convincing the wife though - she is so frightened of it running out of battery power and being stranded somewhere and no matter how much i try and convince her that they run for miles these days on one charge she still not convinced.

do you still need a garage these days to plug your electric car into? got no garage or shelter at our house.

You get a mechanic to look st the car with you. The notion of not buying a quality brand used car because you're afraid of buying a heap of ****e and instead buying the cheapest new car which has the same engine as the car that's giving you trouble makes no sense.

would the new sandero engine really be exactly the same D4F engine thats in our 2003 clio?

I havent even test driven a sandero to be honest , might hate it if i test drove it. No Dacia dealers where we are - the price and features you get with it though seem very appealing. I think it looks nice from the outside as well as new (under 13,000eur) motors go

I was watching this full review last night on youtube:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My last 2 cars have cost less than a months gross salary each, that has covered my motoring for the last 6 years or so, biggest expense outside normal servicing and tyres etc has been less than €100 a year on each. Yes perhaps I have been lucky but with a bit of research as to what is generally a reliable car from the outset and a bit of time to look through the good and the bad on sale there's plenty of trouble free motoring out there without having to go anywhere near buying new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

To be fair, it is just a rehashed Renault with a comparatively small warranty so the peace of mind you get isn't great with them.

I don't necessarily dislike the Sandero nor do I necessarily like any VAG group car as such but if you are using reliability/ cost of repairs/ potential issues as a reason to change, you would get a the same warranty on a used VW Polo from a main dealer than you would with a new Sandero and a used Polo is probably a better car in almost every area bar the number plate.

For arguements sake.

A new car also won't be maintenance free, they still need servicing, brakes, tyres and the rest. If you buy a new Sandero you'd be spending €8k more than the price of a ten year old Civic to avoid €2-300 a year in unexpected maintenance. Financially it doesnt stack up. Unless you really, really want a new Sandero.

Im just looking at a Toyata Aygo 14grand - not liking the outside design of it am just trying to find out if it 3cyl or 4cyl at the moment - they say from 30eur per week at 2percent interest, that seems good - not mad keen on 2 door cars , much prefer 5 door hatch

- i think the Sandero comes with 5door and 4cyl as standard ... spare wheel extra price :( - I suppose a lot of manufacturers are doing that these days maybe, keep price and weight of car dow

Zygote is 3 cylinder. The 1.2 in the Sandero was supposed to be replaced with a 3 cylinder recently?

Zygote is 3 cylinder. The 1.2 in the Sandero was supposed to be replaced with a 3 cylinder recently?
    Ah right, the sandero do 900cc 3cyl and 1.2 16v 4cyl i think at the moment

Yeah the new 1.0 sCe 75PS is 3 cylinder, marginally faster and more economical. We may not get it but it's been out in the UK for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The Sandaro is 3 cylinder since last year. I remember they ran into problems when they changed engines. They are a grand little car but they aren't pleasant to drive everyday. Can't understand why'd want to spent 10 grand on a Sandaro when you'd get a nicer car for less money. You'll have to get it serviced in the main dealer which is going to cost more money, after the couple of years finance you've the final payment to contend with and the depreciation of a Sandaro

In 1999 we got a brand new fiat punto in the scrappage thing Ireland were doing. Lovely car. Everybody were saying rubbish car be we got a good 4 years out of it with hardly any maintenance, the dealers never even required us to service it with them 11.000 irish punts, think it was 39punts per week.

We drove up to the fiat showroom in an old 87 (i think) ford orion, quite a banger, traded it in on the scrappage and then drove away in the punto, what a lovely feeling. Everything spanking new, even tne new car smell inside.

Next morning we went outside, went to start it up. It didnt even turn over. I charged the battery up, next morning dead again. Part of the deal was AA home recovery. He came out with exactly right battery fitted it and thats all it was, never give any more trouble after that.

I know some people had their head gasket go but ours was fine. What did they used to call them fix it again tomorrow i think. Couldnt afford the baloon payment after 4 years so the place we originally bought it from traded it in for another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Im just looking at a Toyata Aygo 14grand - not liking the outside design of it am just trying to find out if it 3cyl or 4cyl at the moment - they say from 30eur per week at 2percent interest, that seems good - not mad keen on 2 door cars , much prefer 5 door hatch

- i think the Sandero comes with 5door and 4cyl as standard ... spare wheel extra price :( - I suppose a lot of manufacturers are doing that these days maybe, keep price and weight of car dow

30 euro per week with substantial deposit I guess ;)

What is your obsession with 3 cylinders anyway?

I've driven Focus 1.0 3cyl turbo and found it really good. You are buying new car with warranty anyway.

If I had no deposit I would buy a 1-2k car, maybe even 5k, but definitely wouldn't dream of buying a new one, especially Sandero.

wonski wrote: »
    30 euro per week with substantial deposit I guess ;)

What is your obsession with 3 cylinders anyway?

I've driven Focus 1.0 3cyl turbo and found it really good. You are buying new car with warranty anyway.

If I had no deposit I would buy a 1-2k car, maybe even 5k, but definitely wouldn't dream of buying a new one, especially Sandero.

I have yet to sit in a 3cylinder car that idles as smoothly as a 4 cylinder cars they seem to be lumpy when idling, Maybe the newer ones are a lot different these days, dont feel smooth accelerating at low revs as a 4 cylinder as well i feel. Again maybe the turbo changes all that.

With 1ltrs before i have always felt it need more power to overtake and rubbish on hills and ned that extra power

• Advertisement

3 cylinder engines are usually more torquey than 4 cylinders like for like. The new VW 1.0 is very smooth for a 3 pot, but it still sounds rough just by nature of what it is, the same a 5 cylinder sounds different to 4. The Toyota 3 cylinder is very rough, I actually liked it in the original Aygo because it gave it character, you'd get the odd pop from the exhaust and it just suited the no-frills nature of the car. Put that engine in a newer Yaris that's trying to be refined and grown up and it just doesn't work, thankfully there's the option of the 100bhp 1.33 Dual VVT-i engine and a nice 6 speed box which suits the car really well.
    The 1.2 in the Sandero is only 71bhp though, and despite your Clio only having 60bhp the Sandero is just as slow.
    I think I remember you had a 1.0 Yaris old model before? The 1.2 Sandero is slower than that.

I honestly don't think a Sandero actually solves the problem of being a good long term car outside the warranty period, it doesn't give you any more comfort beyond your old Clio, it doesn't address your concerns over power, and it's not going to actually save you any money because you'll be paying out €200 a month (taking 5 year finance as a fair example) every month.

Advertisement