Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to buy car on weekly terms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Could you not just buy from a garage that offers warranty etc? I bought a Avensis with a NCT guarantee and free fix for 6 months, lads stuck by their word, passed NCT and fixed a small electrical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    3 cylinder engines are usually more torquey than 4 cylinders like for like. The new VW 1.0 is very smooth for a 3 pot, but it still sounds rough just by nature of what it is, the same a 5 cylinder sounds different to 4. The Toyota 3 cylinder is very rough, I actually liked it in the original Aygo because it gave it character, you'd get the odd pop from the exhaust and it just suited the no-frills nature of the car. Put that engine in a newer Yaris that's trying to be refined and grown up and it just doesn't work, thankfully there's the option of the 100bhp 1.33 Dual VVT-i engine and a nice 6 speed box which suits the car really well.
    The 1.2 in the Sandero is only 71bhp though, and despite your Clio only having 60bhp the Sandero is just as slow.
    I think I remember you had a 1.0 Yaris old model before? The 1.2 Sandero is slower than that.

I honestly don't think a Sandero actually solves the problem of being a good long term car outside the warranty period, it doesn't give you any more comfort beyond your old Clio, it doesn't address your concerns over power, and it's not going to actually save you any money because you'll be paying out €200 a month (taking 5 year finance as a fair example) every month.

no, never had a Yaris.

our clio 2 D4F 1.2 16v (when its working properly) is pokey enough whats acceleration for us - whats that about 73bhp is it from what i see in the specs for that engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh yeah, if the Clio is 16v it would be 73 alright, point is the Sandero is slower.
    It's all relative I suppose, not too long ago 1.0 cars like Polos and Micras would be 45/50bhp (but they were lighter cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

oh i love the idea of an electric car myself. I think they are fab .. no way of convincing the wife though - she is so frightened of it running out of battery power and being stranded somewhere and no matter how much i try and convince her that they run for miles these days on one charge she still not convinced.

do you still need a garage these days to plug your electric car into? got no garage or shelter at our house.

No once you can park at your house all you need is the charge point, every public charger I've seen has no shelter

Could you not just buy from a garage that offers warranty etc? I bought a Avensis with a NCT guarantee and free fix for 6 months, lads stuck by their word, passed NCT and fixed a small electrical issue.

heard so many stories of bad practises of garages when they offer warranty like that on used motors its put me off. People taking in cars for warranty and it be in for repair for ages or waiting for parts or garages going bust after selling the car with warranty.

I am a non smoker as well, like the fact that with a brand spanking new motor you have no worrys of smoke getting into roof lining or seats or fag burns all over the upholstery. - and if you buy new you actually know full well the history of the car because your the first and only owner - to me it puts your life at more at ease and (i dont know whether they still do it these days) used to do pre quality checks before they left the factory.

If we were to get a decent used car not too old what are you talking around 4 grand for a decent one, especially from a trader/garage which charge more than a private owner .. thats nearly half price of what you could get a brand new one for (well likes of sandero)

Our present car is 2003 and already our insurance company is indicating the fact that they may not be able to insure it much longer - they want (understandably) to get people to get new cars (or newer cars on the road) these days - I dont blame them in a way, much safer than old cars on the road these days

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, if the Clio is 16v it would be 73 alright, point is the Sandero is slower.
    It's all relative I suppose, not too long ago 1.0 cars like Polos and Micras would be 45/50bhp (but they were lighter cars)

ah right - do you reckon it would be a very big impact , is it really noteable difference in speed I' m wondering?

what I should try and do is look up body weight (is kerb weight the same thing?) of our 2003 Clio and then the body weight of a Sandero (without spare wheel) - would that give a rough idea?

I had a 2000 Seat Ibiza once , that was lovely comfortable car to drive, it only had a 4cyl 1.0ltr MPi engine in it (vw/vag engine I believe) and it was a pretty big'ish/heavy car for a 1ltr engine - it was grand in normal driving, bad when it came to overtaking and not much power going up steep hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

ah right - do you reckon it would be a very big impact , is it really noteable difference in speed I' m wondering?

what I should try and do is look up body weight (is kerb weight the same thing?) of our 2003 Clio and then the body weight of a Sandero (without spare wheel) - would that give a rough idea?

I had a 2000 Seat Ibiza once , that was lovely comfortable car to drive, it only had a 4cyl 1.0ltr MPi engine in it (vw/vag engine I believe) and it was a pretty big'ish/heavy car for a 1ltr engine - it was grand in normal driving, bad when it came to overtaking and not much power going up steep hills

Just go out and test drive it.

Yeah, the Ibiza only had around 50bhp. And did 0-60 in 19 seconds. Both the Sandero and your Clio would knock 5 seconds off that time, so it's all relative. The Dacia would be there or thereabouts the same as what you have, only marginally slower but still one of the slowest new cars out there.
    0-60 and peak bhp figures don't tell the full story, but they're a good yardstick.

If you find the Clio ok, then the Sandero will be ok too.

eeguy wrote: »
    Just go out and test drive it.

yes, shame theres no dealers near Sligo - love to test drive one. seems to tick a lot of boxes at the moment (bar what it drives like.)

5 Door,
    Nice looking design on the outside (not 'bubble' looking - or look like the back end of the car has just been suddenly chopped off)
    4cyl
    remote central door locking as well as other high spec stuff including in the price.
    I dont think (personally) its a bad thing it shares a lot with the Clio because I quite like the clio.

I like the way the reviewer on youtube was quite impressed with it especially as a cheap car for the money and he normally reviews more expensive top end cars

ah yes now looking at the new 2018 Sandero the petrol one is 3 Cylinder 998cc available and no 4cylinder 1.2 - bugger! - suppose it 70eur cheaper on tax as well

Maybe if we want to go for 1.2 4cyl model have to be a used 2016 sandero then

• Advertisement

You’d probably be as well to buy a new one and pay extra for the 5 year warranty if they’re still doing that as an option.

You’d probably be as well to buy a new one and pay extra for the 5 year warranty if they’re still doing that as an option.

nearest dealer to us seem in Ballinrobe county Mayo, only hour and half away, not too bad I suppose - so in new year must see if I can get over to test drive one.

Thanks all for your help

- what did we end up was the best way to finance it, Credit union was it?

If you don’t have a deposit and you don’t want to do what you did with the Punto then Credit union is probably the best option. You could look at hire purchase but it’s more restrictive than a loan and I can’t see it being much cheaper per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you cant even afford your coffee maybe a large debt isnt the best idea Andy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If people had a decent reliable trustworthy mechanic and kept cars serviced then there would be far less bother with cars.
    There is no need for a new car to have reliability.

If op had a decent mechanic that serviced the car they would quickly know what the problem was and sort it. But blindly throwing money on one thing - and then the other - not seeming to know what you are doing is ansure bet to waste loads of money.

People buy cheap old cars with no service record and expect hassle free motoring - your deluding yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭con___manx1

nd wrote: »
    The 02 corolla 1.4 I used to own is now my brothers and was my sisters before that. It has done about 55,000 miles since I bought it and the only thing that it has needed outside of regular maintenance items was a coil pack and a flasher relay. Less that 50 euro in total. And it is still in great condition.

I read an article recently about which car brands cost the least for maintenance and toyota was the best.
    I drive a 00 corolla myself. I drove roughly 25000 k to work in it this year and not a thing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fastdriver

2003 clio , misfiring, I have just bought set of plugs 26eur from halfords ... whipped out plug 3 & 4 and covered in oil (thats not a good sign is it, whats that head gasket or piston rings or something like that) after changing spark plugs someone said it could also be coil pack whats that another 50 quid + .. needs bushes as well engine is rocking a bit, car is showing its age in other places ... really makes you feel like cutting your losses - with these old cars of this age you start replacing something and then notice something else failing.

you need a good garage who you can thrust !!

_Brian wrote: »
    If people had a decent reliable trustworthy mechanic and kept cars serviced then there would be far less bother with cars.
    There is no need for a new car to have reliability.

If op had a decent mechanic that serviced the car they would quickly know what the problem was and sort it. But blindly throwing money on one thing - and then the other - not seeming to know what you are doing is ansure bet to waste loads of money.

People buy cheap old cars with no service record and expect hassle free motoring - your deluding yourself.

its 14 years old now ... its old, no point in deluding yourself any other way or dress it up - its a runaround its done 155,000km - its old we about 3rd or 4th owner - i dont think it would matter at this stage personally whether it had been regularly serviced ... its EOL at the end of the day - anything thats rubber or plastic on it cracked or perished or will very soon and fail, anything metal on it rusted and all parts fatigued. - things dont go on forever

fastdriver wrote: »
    you need a good garage who you can thrust !!

and thats where the problem lies - on our previous old motor , a hyundai getz the steering pump went kaput and one of the hoses burst and the other pipe was perishing due to old age. was driven to a garage and left there - bill totalled near on 400euro just for that - i dunno maybe thats good or the going rate but it wasnt a main dealers or anything just a back street garage , and they are normally supposed to be cheaper than the main dealers. when your faced in with a bill like that and your still ending up with an old motor and wondering what is going to go wrong next and how much is it gonna cost before you can drive it again and live miles away from town and rely so much on a car i just think (i knopw you have the hp payments to meet) but at least you have a newer modern car and keeping up with the times

its 14 years old now ... its old, no point in deluding yourself any other way or dress it up - its a runaround its done 155,000km - its old we about 3rd or 4th owner - i dont think it would matter at this stage personally whether it had been regularly serviced ... its EOL at the end of the day - anything thats rubber or plastic on it cracked or perished or will very soon and fail, anything metal on it rusted and all parts fatigued. - things dont go on forever

Whatever, but there is no need for a car to be done at 155k kms mine has 235k Kim’s and I expect at least another 100 at least.

Also, if you buy a new car you’ll need to service that regularly anyway or it’s value will drop like a stone. So somehow you’ll afford weekly payments and regular servicing, but the €26 on spark plugs is somehow the last straw.

• Advertisement

155k isn't even 100000 miles. I've 230k on mine and trust it completely. Once the warranty runs out on the Dacia you're nearly back at square one.

Whatever, but there is no need for a car to be done at 155k kms mine has 235k Kim’s and I expect at least another 100 at least.

Also, if you buy a new car you’ll need to service that regularly anyway or it’s value will drop like a stone. So somehow you’ll afford weekly payments and regular servicing, but the €26 on spark plugs is somehow the last straw.

dont wish to sound brash but bugger that - no, if i get a new car , i might just change the oil and filter at intervals which i can do meself - most of the time plugs and air filter and other service get changed when theres still more life on them.

When i got my brand new Punto in 1999 I did bugger all servicing on it (thankfully it wasnt a requirement on the hp deal- or if it was I didnt do it) and i still traded that in with the dealer after 4 years with no servicing

155k isn't even 100000 miles. I've 230k on mine and trust it completely. Once the warranty runs out on the Dacia you're nearly back at square one.

after 5 years though the car will only be 5 years old ... not 14 years old like the car i have at the moment so wont really be back to square 1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dont wish to sound brash but bugger that - no, if i get a new car , i might just change the oil and filter at intervals which i can do meself - most of the time plugs and air filter and other service get changed when theres still more life on them.

That will most likely invalidate your warranty and land you with monstrous bills
    When i got my brand new Punto in 1999 I did bugger all servicing on it (thankfully it wasnt a requirement on the hp deal- or if it was I didnt do it) and i still traded that in with the dealer after 4 years with no servicing

So you're not the sort to look after your cars then?

after 5 years though the car will only be 5 years old ... not 14 years old like the car i have at the moment so wont really be back to square 1

Yes, but if say your steering rack goes, or you have oily spark pugs it'll still cost what it costs, only the parts won't necessarily be as readily available as Clio parts if they're not the same.

No motoring culture in this country at all. No pride in keeping a car properly.

This is why people buy ****eboxes to save €30 a year motor tax, this is why so many cars have no service records, why so many drive about with headlights not working. Why ignorant cuunts ding your car in car parks.

Surely Andy you see the absolute Irony in your posts going from moaning about the costs of repairs, not having a blind clue what parts to replace nor why, to boasting about not servicing a new car properly. You yourself are the exact reason your car isn’t reliable - you take pride in neglecting the car and then bemoan when it’s unreliable.

It’s pointless posting further here :(

it might not end there - i need/want to change the plugs anyway ... so if engine still needs coil pack that will have to be replaced - then the issue of oil on 3&4 spark plugs - if thats worn piston rings throwing engine oil up to the plugs then thats a job i cannot do, have to leave it in with a mechanic, dunno how much that cost - car is drinking petrol because its not running right ... after getting all that done I still wont know how long this 14 year old car will carry on, its really showing its age in other places

- but if i get a new car I would have some kind of clue how long at least its going to last for and thats for at least another 5 years plus - and who knows we might be financially better off by then to pay back the rest of the loan or get another car - thing is until (if that time ever materialized) still aint recking ourselves with leaving old cars into garages and going through the NCT process every year!

No motoring culture in this country at all. No pride in keeping a car properly.

This is why people buy ****eboxes to save €30 a year motor tax, this is why so many cars have no service records, why so many drive about with headlights not working. Why ignorant cuunts ding your car in car parks.

Surely Andy you see the absolute Irony in your posts going from moaning about the costs of repairs, not having a blind clue what parts to replace nor why, to boasting about not servicing a new car properly. You yourself are the exact reason your car isn’t reliable - you take pride in neglecting the car and then bemoan when it’s unreliable.

It’s pointless posting further here :(

not entirely - the exact reason the car isnt reliable is because its 14 years old now, and it hasnt been serviced reguarly by previous owners - or has been 'repaired' but not correctly and corners cut - if there is only one thing I am guilty of is shelling out 700quid for it when i bought it this summer instead of spending a reasonable amount in thousands on a decent second hand car which had been looked after and serviced .. but even then its still old ... its still 14 years old - its not like 5 or 6 years old.

The Irony is that I asked the best way to buy a car on weekly terms and it has gone of on a such a wild tangent

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The Irony is that I asked the best way to buy a car on weekly terms and it has gone of on a such a wild tangent

That's due to you confirming that you've no intention of looking after a new car as you should

You seem to think it will rock along hassle free for five years with little to no care

Anytime I've bought an older car I either take it to my mechanic for a full going over and or nct it.

Then I get the work to get it up to scratch done, get it serviced regularly and rarely have problems

It's that simple

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    That will most likely invalidate your warranty and land you with monstrous bills

Maybe - its a very bad gamble I know and might seem a silly un-ethical

Stheno wrote: »
    So you're not the sort to look after your cars then?

depends what you mean by look after my cars ?- Do I rev the nuts of them, do I not reguarly check the oils , do i coast the clutch, drive vigorously, replace blown light bulbs, replace worn wiperblades , change antifreeze, labour the engine, overload it with passengers and heavy stuff in the boot, and always run on low petrol in the tank and dont change tyres when they are worn ... then no, I dont do any of that .

I tell you what I would rather be a second owner of a car who didnt do any of the above - but maybe didnt have it regularly serviced

- in other words all the regular servicing in the world is not going to help if people drive like a maniac, do short runs everywhere , rev the nuts off it, drive it vigorously, drive it constantly over potholed roads and road bumps and didnt top up fluids and replaced tyres and the like and didnt keep them to the required pressures and overloaded the car

Advertisement