Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to buy car on weekly terms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Andy, just seen the review on the Sandero. Seems like a decent buy, and my own car doesn't even have electric windows.

I also understand the desire to buy new with a warranty and have a lot less worries.

Some here would never buy new cars. So, no idea where the second hand cars would come from :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The standard warranty is only three years on these and has reduced cover for wear and tear parts as well as being voided if the car is not serviced according to Dacia requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Stheno wrote: »
    The standard warranty ... voided if the car is not serviced according to Dacia requirements

Isn't that the same with all manufacturer warranties?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Isn't that the same with all manufacturer warranties?

Yes but Andy has stated he will not stick to the service schedule if he feels it unnecessary and will do the work himself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Yes but Andy has stated he will not stick to the service schedule if he feels it unnecessary and will do the work himself

I don't really know. I have done it in the past with the punto I bought from new and that gave me 4 years of trouble free driving apart from changing the odd tyre or 2 and I think some wiper blades and bulbs and of course top it up with antifreeze and oil and the like, Nothing serious though happened with it in the 4 years Just a shame I had to trade it in after 4 years because I didn't have the balloon payment

If dacia offered a 5 year warranty at a good price I would most probably go for it, but no local dacia garage near me so that would be a pain when it comes to leaving it in for its annual service or when the service time comes around.

• Advertisement

I don't really know. I have done it in the past with the pinto I bought from new and that gave me 4 years of trouble free driving apart from changing the odd tyre or 2 and I think some wiper blades and bulbs and of course top it up with antifreeze and oil and the like, Nothing serious though happened with it in the 4 years Just a shame I had to trade it in after 4 years because I didn't have the balloon payment

If dacia offered a 5 year warranty at a good price I would most probably go for it, but no local dacia garage near me so that would be a pain when it comes to leaving it in for its annual service or when the service time comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

Andy, you have already made your mind up and camr here to have your decision agreed with. Every solution or suggestion that has been proposed, you have argued against.

Go off and buy your brand new budget car. You are going to anyway no matter what is posted here.

Murt10 wrote: »
    Andy, you have already made your mind up and camr here to have your decision agreed with. Every solution or suggestion that has been proposed, you have argued against.

Go off and buy your brand new budget car. You are going to anyway no matter what is posted here.

ah no, come on now - I have not argued and people on here have been very helpful. - I have just said what I have done in the past when i bought a new punto years ago - i'm not ecpecting people to agree with me on it or prompt them to do the same . I am just saying what I did and what I might probably do again if I went for a new car .. possibly

It more than likely will be credit union finance I go with in the end and if I want to get a 1.2 4cylinder one it looks like I will have to get a used 2016 one ... unless the 3cylinder 998cc ones are good and not rough/lumpy when idling or at low revs.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    155k isn't even 100000 miles. I've 230k on mine and trust it completely. Once the warranty runs out on the Dacia you're nearly back at square one.

sorry my bad - the speedo is in mph not km/h .. so its done 155,000 Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I had a 05 petrol megane it needed about 2k to replace something in.the heating system and also a problem in the fuse system in it. Decided to take the plunge and went to a 2011 diesel mondeo in.2015. Fuel sensor went during warrant...i had the car 10 month when i had to change out the injectors at a cost of 1500...while i dont regret changing the car, even newer cars can cost u a lot in repairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Had a Sandero as a hire car. Horrible plastic lined tin can. You get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

If you can't afford to fix a €700 clio to make it last another 6-12 months then you certainly can not afford the costs involved in the purchase of a new car. Any new car.

The only reason you are considering the Dacia is because it had a cheap starting point.

A €10,000 credit union loan will run about €200 a month.

If it cost you €500/€600 to fix up what's wrong with your Clio and only get another 6 months problem free driving out of it then you've already saved money over buying the new Dacia.

You're right, all cars 10+ years old 150k+ miles and questionable history will have regular maintenance needs. Consumables will be consumed and perishables will perish. Replacing and fixing those will still be cheaper than the costs involved in the purchase of a new car.

Don't get hung up on the value of your Clio. You don't want to put money into it because it is a cheap car and its value is not going to go up. Forget about that. Look at what it is going to cost you to stay on the road per month.

Add up all your costs. Tax, insurance, petrol, maintenance, repayments etc. Look at them side by side. There you will find your answer.

Caranica wrote: »
    Had a Sandero as a hire car. Horrible plastic lined tin can. You get what you pay for

ah right - still yet to test drive one

Vikings wrote: »
    If you can't afford to fix a €700 clio to make it last another 6-12 months then you certainly can not afford the costs involved in the purchase of a new car. Any new car.

The only reason you are considering the Dacia is because it had a cheap starting point.

A €10,000 credit union loan will run about €200 a month.

If it cost you €500/€600 to fix up what's wrong with your Clio and only get another 6 months problem free driving out of it then you've already saved money over buying the new Dacia.

You're right, all cars 10+ years old 150k+ miles and questionable history will have regular maintenance needs. Consumables will be consumed and perishables will perish. Replacing and fixing those will still be cheaper than the costs involved in the purchase of a new car.

Don't get hung up on the value of your Clio. You don't want to put money into it because it is a cheap car and its value is not going to go up. Forget about that. Look at what it is going to cost you to stay on the road per month.

Add up all your costs. Tax, insurance, petrol, maintenance, repayments etc. Look at them side by side. There you will find your answer.

Thank you - you have raised very valid points there and it all makes sense . I think your maybe right, we do like the present Clio we got . I wouldnt look forward if repairs does run into the 500/600 mark but it may not even come to that. Maybe if i replace the plugs , and then it does turn out to be the coil pack and leads then maybe if that is all it is it might be viable keeping her

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The first question I have is can you actually afford the 10k?

bear1 wrote: »
    The first question I have is can you actually afford the 10k?

no, not at all .... now I suppose you are going to say well dont take out a credit loan then!

But the desire to have a modern, reliable, decent car that is economical on petrol is sort of outweighing the fact

no, not at all .... now I suppose you are going to say well dont take out a credit loan then!

But the desire to have a modern, reliable, decent car that is economical on petrol is sort of outweighing the fact

I wouldn't personally do it.
    You seem to think that a new car will not need any maintenance and you've backed this up with your story of the punto.
    The loan is going to cost you more than the car you have now.
    Why not look at the bangernomics thread, there are some bargains to be had.
    Spending 10k which you can't afford on a car which is designed with basic in mind and based upon a car you already own seems mad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

you see i started of paying only 700quid for the car in the first place - so, fair enough if you get a pretty decent second hand motor (small car) what you looking at 2 or 3 grand at the very least to start off with and even then you could be buying a load of trouble

You have yourself convinced that you need a new car but are looking at the cheapest way to finance it yet you refuse to take any advice given. Best of luck with your new motor.

bear1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't personally do it.
    You seem to think that a new car will not need any maintenance and you've backed this up with your story of the punto.
    The loan is going to cost you more than the car you have now.
    Why not look at the bangernomics thread, there are some bargains to be had.
    Spending 10k which you can't afford on a car which is designed with basic in mind and based upon a car you already own seems mad to me.

yes your probably right - will keep that in mind . However if I will have to throw a wild amount of money at this 14 year old present clio we have i cant see me doing that ... would just be waiting for the next thing to pack up on it. then be waste of money keep throwing good money after bad money at it .

I am two minds and keep too'ing and fro'ing if im honest if its not an easy fix for our present car then i can indeed see myself throwing caution to the wind and not even thinking about the weekly payment parts of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I'm in pretty much the same boat myself but I've convinced myself a Sandero is simply not worth it. I've seen the sub 5k thread, is there one for 5-10k cars?! Both me, the op and anyone else convinced that Sanderos are good buys would probably benefit from it.

I reckon if you are weighing up spending 11k on a new Sandero, it is well worth looking at the ~8k second hand market for something reliable, significantly better all round quality and noticeably cheaper monthly repayments (€164)

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    You have yourself convinced that you need a new car but are looking at the cheapest way to finance it yet you refuse to take any advice given. Best of luck with your new motor.

not true, im taking all advice and weighing it all up and taking everything into consideration :)

thats what do do when your like me and cant make your mind up. i just was wondering that if i were going to go down that road which is the best way to finance it because there are so many ways to do it Bank, Dealer, Credit union, .. loan shark .. (no, wouldnt touch a loan shark)

I'm in pretty much the same boat myself but I've convinced myself a Sandero is simply not worth it. I've seen the sub 5k thread, is there one for 5-10k cars?! Both me, the op and anyone else convinced that Sanderos are good buys would probably benefit from it.

I reckon if you are weighing up spending 11k on a new Sandero, it is well worth looking at the ~8k second hand market for something reliable, significantly better all round quality and noticeably cheaper monthly repayments (€164)

you couldnt do me a favour and point me right directly to this thread could you please - having trouble finding it

you couldnt do me a favour and point me right directly to this thread could you please - having trouble finding it

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057729711&page=210

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Andy you're all over the shop slow down. Now I realize this may be easier said than done if you're in a rural area and need a car now.
    First thing I would do is find a local reliable mechanic you can trust. Find out what the problem is with the Clio and cost to repair and have him give it a good look over for further problems.
    Then decide if it's worth spending the money to repair it.
    If it's not I wouldn't borrow to buy a new dacia. I would borrow three or four thousand maybe even less and with the help of the mechanic buy a decent second hand car.
    There are a fair few lemons out there but with the mechanics help you should avoid those.
    He may even know that a car he services/repairs is coming up for sale.
    That's what I would do. Good luck with whatever way you decide to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

not entirely - the exact reason the car isnt reliable is because its 14 years old now, and it hasnt been serviced reguarly by previous owners - or has been 'repaired' but not correctly and corners cut - if there is only one thing I am guilty of is shelling out 700quid for it when i bought it this summer instead of spending a reasonable amount in thousands on a decent second hand car which had been looked after and serviced .. but even then its still old ... its still 14 years old - its not like 5 or 6 years old.

The Irony is that I asked the best way to buy a car on weekly terms and it has gone of on a such a wild tangent

you ran up a 400 Euro repair nil in a garage. Could not afford it and left the car in the garage and went out and spent 700 Euro on another car.

What happened the Hyundai. Did the garage have to try to sell it to get some of their money back.

dingding wrote: »
    you ran up a 400 Euro repair nil in a garage. Could not afford it and left the car in the garage and went out and spent 700 Euro on another car.

What happened the Hyundai. Did the garage have to try to sell it to get some of their money back.

no - because there was time difference between spending 400 on the Hyundai of about a year or 2 and it was for power steering ... when it started mucking about last september or whenever it was thats when we couldnt put up with it mucking about and bought the clio - I know it sounds confusing but ...

the Hyundai is still on the drive by the way if your interested in buying it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

A couple of years ago I was looking for a petrol estate and had about 10k to spend , I decided why not crank it up a small bit and consider buying a Dacia Logan Petrol. ....

....sounds like a no brainer.... Warranty..... New car....low Int rate from Renault Ireland....

So I did a load of you tube video reviews... Including the video Andy put up by our own Bob flavin .

They all seemed OK , basic but good cars....I then took one for test drive knowing car wasn't going to blow me away and manage my expectations ( As one of the reviewer stated)

I got out of my 2006 Citroen c4 and slipped into the Dacia Logan and by god it was a depressing place to be , OK I thought I'll drive it... As slow as a snail... I got out and went home in my Citroen and by god compared to the Dacia my car felt 10 years newer , especially as my car looks like new and I've kept it regular serviced.

How can my 10 year old car feel 10 years newer than a new car!!!!

I joined Dacia UK Facebook page and I know I'm sure its a bit same for all makes but there's a lot of unhappy Dacia customers out there with new cars that are far from OK .

The "sure it's a new car with years of happy free motoring" isn't the case for a lot of people. And I'm talking bad problems not just picky stuff.

Anyway I kept my Citroen going and kept it serviced and been over to UK twice in it since and not a bother ..people talk about unreliable French cars....I believe it I truely do .. You have to keep these cars well serviced and under the recommended service if possible in my opinion .

I paid 2000 for my Citroen nearly three years ago and after a month head went. .... Car had loads of service history and I could see car was well kept, I got head done/timing belt/ water pump/ and while it was in wipers, rods.
    So I spend the bones for 1000 with 2 tyres as well and it was money well spent thank god and touch wood driving great .

What's my point.... Can't remember .. What was thread about again .. ;)

i changed the plugs in the wifes clio on saturday - plugs 26euro - long reach thinwall plug socket 17eur set of snazzy feeler gauges 8eur -its getting positive results at the moment , early days but i am trying to positive , wife said it started much better on sunday and idling better ... dont look like i will have to get a coil pack for it now.

someone or something must be looking down on us at the moment and giving us a break .. I really got so fed up with car troubles that i was seriously thinking we would have to get a new one even though we cannot realistically afford the payments - well not presently anyway, or if we did it would be very tight.

god, I hope thats the end of it for a while now and nothing serious crops up .. as I say , keep positive Andy, negativity breeds negativity :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Do we be better off going credit union? - finance with car company? finance with bank? - buy one up in Northern Ireland and even save after paying out for VRT ?

All figures are available so each method can be outlined with the total cost over say 3 and 5 years calculated and compared. Factor in tax and fuel servicing etc to compare. Your mileage will have some bearing and type of roads and driving.

You can get some great 2nd hand cars these days. The leaf being one such example. Unless your doing 100km a day you have lots of options. Break out your spreadsheet and compare to your heart's content. You may be surprised.

Advertisement