Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas as a child who got nothing..

• 30-12-2017 4:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Never mind..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did you ever have one of these Christmases? I have had a few drinks so excuse me. I am of the sentimental kind. This year has been a fairly good Christmas for me and I havn't had one of them in awhile. I actually got some presents this year and good ones too. This made me happy but also sad as I would have given them up to be with my family instead.

The purpose of this post though is about thinking back as a kid. I remember a few times when I got absolutely nothing. We were so poor that my sister went out early in the morning and stole milk off your doorstep ( when the milkman left it). There was no one with us, no adults, so she brought it back and we had flour and tried to make pancakes..........milk and flour alone dont make pancakes or chit for hungry kids though!

I also remember another Christmas where we got two presents each on Christmas day but had to take them to a pawn shop like place the next day so we could eat. I also remember another Christmas I got some things but an awful beating also.

I also remember being so hungry that we Carol Sang to people just like you hoping you would give us money so we could get something to eat.

Funny how you go through life getting on with things but still these things stay in your head. Obviously the fact I have had a drink plays in to this now but it's mad how raw it feels in drink.

Can any of you relate?

ah Jaysus. You must have been an awful bollix of a chisler altogether if Santy didn't even bring you a lump of coal

Or is that you Tiny Tim?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There's probably a book/film deal in that level of privation ShotgunRider. Sounds like you had a pretty miserable experience of Xmas.

Frank McCourt would have been jealous of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ShotgunRider

Thanks Donald, You just made me laugh. I was all in my feelings, I still love Santy though and would love to go to Lapland and see the REAL Santa:-) I really would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

You want a hug love.

There's probably a book/film deal in that level of privation ShotgunRider. Sounds like you had a pretty miserable experience of Xmas.

Frank McCourt would have been jealous of you.

Nah Tom. I was just all wrapped up in memories. Take no notice. Sorry. There was good too. I am a twat for getting sentimental in drink. Nice that you replied though so Thank you:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

They weren't easy times but You got through it. You're a survivor . Keep the head up and stay strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Were you the bollix that stole me milk? We had no porrige for a fortnight! They told me to turn the udder cheek but lacose totaĺly couldnt do it.

jonon9 wrote: »
    You want a hug love.

A hug is a good thing J so I will take one. This thread is After Hours after all and you lot have made me smile so I am glad I made this thread now even though I will regret it in the morning. Happy New Year Guys;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Jeeze, you'd neighbours wealthy enough to have milk to steal off? Lucky b@stard!

BTW, what pawn shops are open on St Stephens day. Just in case next year we need to pawn me Da's pace maker for a couple of weeks.

juneg wrote: »
    They weren't easy times but You got through it. You're a survivor . Keep the head up and stay strong.

Ah Thanks Juneg. It's just drink you know....after all the laughing and carrying on. when the lights go down and folk go home, you start thinking and get all in your feelings. That time of year and stuff. I KNOW I will regret that post tomorrow but it is no word of a lie. Christmas is such a lonesome time of year.The replies here have well cheered me up though so thank you for your kind heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Nah Tom. I was just all wrapped up in memories. Take no notice. Sorry. There was good too. I am a twat for getting sentimental in drink. Nice that you replied though so Thank you:-)

I've had a few myself, glad to hear it wasn't all bad, hope things got better for you and yours. Far too many of us take stuff for granted, myself included of course. Anyhoo, here's to the next year, may it bring us good fortune! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Don't ever regret reaching out. Sure that's what we're here for. Christmas makes everything more emotional and most people are glad to see the back of it. Go for a good walk now tomorrow to blow off the cobwebs.

Were you the bollix that stole me milk? We had no porrige for a fortnight! They told me to turn the udder cheek but lacose totaĺly couldnt do it.

HaHa! Thankyou sooo much WoollyRedHat You just made me laugh so much plus your name reminds me of a man. A good simple kind man who sings with me and has good time for me as I do him...he always wears a woolly hat (not a red one and he is not Santa). He is a good guy. Thank you for your reply. I loved it!

Hello Avatar. This was back in the day when everyone had milk delivered in glass bottles. To our credit we only took it from doors that had more than one pint though. I was a coward and couldnt do it, I thought God would bring me bad luck. My other sister took it, funnily enough her ruthlessness has fared her well where my conscience has just gotten me ripped off toooooooooo many times! A lesson there somewhere.

As for the 'pawn shop' it wasn't a pawn shop per se rather than the neighbourhood shark but you know when you don't want to give too many details....

Another one of these very same men...a man who knew us also took all our furniture one time.....

Pawn Shops at least give you something in return..

I've had a few myself, glad to hear it wasn't all bad, hope things got better for you and yours. Far too many of us take stuff for granted, myself included of course. Anyhoo, here's to the next year, may it bring us good fortune! :)

Thanks Tom. Your kind words have made me happy!

juneg wrote: »
    Don't ever regret reaching out. Sure that's what we're here for. Christmas makes everything more emotional and most people are glad to see the back of it. Go for a good walk now tomorrow to blow off the cobwebs.

I will surely do that J. Then I won't think of it again until when:-)

Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I will surely do that J. Then I won't think of it again until when:-)

Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated.
    You again! When will you give up Rereging?

deco nate wrote: »
    You again! When will you give up Rereging?

Excuse me? I don't know who you are or why my post would offend you. You didnt have to read it. Your manners are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Well La De Da, with your milk and flour..... sure that would have been the hight of luxury in our house, the only time we got milk was when me da milked the rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Excuse me? I don't know who you are or why my post would offend you. You didnt have to read it. Your manners are nice.
    Lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement