Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back box screw threaded

Options
  • 30-12-2017 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

I’m changing some 2 gang sockets to USB compatible and one of them seems to have been held on by paint alone. On screwing back in, there’s no traction between the screw and the back box. I don’t want to remove and replace the box it as it’s quite secure in there. Any ideas? Bigger screw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I’m changing some 2 gang sockets to USB compatible and one of them seems to have been held on by paint alone. On screwing back in, there’s no traction between the screw and the back box. I don’t want to remove and replace the box it as it’s quite secure in there. Any ideas? Bigger screw?

Glue a small nut to the rear of the hole. Then the screw should thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

UrbanFret wrote: »

Glue a small nut to the rear of the hole. Then the screw should thread .

Do you reckon it will be easy to align? I had thought a nut would be the best option but when the socket covers the box, there’s little way to hold it in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Do you reckon it will be easy to align? I had thought a nut would be the best option but when the socket covers the box, there’s little way to hold it in place.
    To be honest they are not easy to align at the best of times. patience is surely needed. You could drill a hole through the back of the box behind where the lug is and use a rawl plug and a longer screw. Or cut the lug off another box and fix it to the existing one and screw to it. take your time and dont let it get to you. it can be tedious.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

To be honest they are not easy to align at the best of times. patience is surely needed. You could drill a hole through the back of the box behind where the lug is and use a rawl plug and a longer screw. Or cut the lug off another box and fix it to the existing one and screw to it. take your time and dont let it get to you. it can be tedious.;)

Just replace the back box? They're about €2

Tails142 wrote: »

Just replace the back box? They're about €2

It’s held in by the plaster so getting it out will need a bit of chipping, then remedial work when the new one goes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Try threading the lug again with a re-threading tool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

re thread it. or get a bolt slightly larger. there are 2 diameters of those bolts tap it out acordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

de_012240.003-b.jpgu26CuQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

if you are really stuck?

https://backboxsaver.com/

http://www.metalboxmender.com/

not cheap though.

(never used either, just found via google)

However are you sure the existing screws are long enough to reach, sometimes boxes are mounted too deep, it may be simply a matter of longer screws.
    Also if the box is sufficiently recessed can you screw/glue an extension screw into place and use short screws?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5MM-SOCKET-SWITCH-SCREW-EXTENSION/dp/B007K8OG4Q

de_012240.003-b.jpgu26CuQ
    That’s the job! What’s that called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s the job! What’s that called?

U clips(not sure they will do the job though)

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-assorted-u-clips-screws

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

Try pinching the failed thread with a pliers, don't squeeze it completely just make the hole narrower from top to bottom then use the 3.5mm tap.
    Can be a bit tedious but it's never let me down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

As above ^^^^^. I have used a small straight vise grips as it gives easier access and more purchase on the lug. You can also control the degree of pressure. Be careful not to dislodge the lug.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-rethreading-tool-m3-5x-6/59312

I’m going to try the above. It seems to be designed exactly for the job. Part of me is thinking that if the thread is gone, it’s too big for the screw to gain traction, but all the reviews seem to suggest that this will get the job done. If not by itself, I’ll take the advise of squeezing the thread to close it in on itself.

If the threads are completely stripped then that tool won't be able to make a new thread as the hole will be too large.

However it may assist if you squeeze the plates as suggested.

Have you tried putting the screw into the back box without the socket on to see how it fits?

If the threads are completely stripped then that tool won't be able to make a new thread as the hole will be too large.

However it may assist if you squeeze the plates as suggested.

Have you tried putting the screw into the back box without the socket on to see how it fits?

Yeah, it just slides in and out without resistance. That’s why I’m unsure whether that tool will work. I got it on amazon U.K. for 5 Sterling so it’s worth a try. It arrives tomorrow.

Yeah, it just slides in and out without resistance. That’s why I’m unsure whether that tool will work. I got it on amazon U.K. for 5 Sterling so it’s worth a try. It arrives tomorrow.

The tool will slide in and out too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Back of box can be drilled behind existing lug, and a rawl plug inserted, then a long socket/pattress screw can be screwed into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

Bruthal wrote:
    Back of box can be drilled behind existing lug, and a rawl plug inserted, then a long socket/pattress screw can be screwed into that.

I agree with this if the lug breaks. Try shaping the tip of the fixing screw like an arrow and I find dat the best way to get the screw to take properly to the plug is with a drill with a flat bit on high speed just be careful of the drill slipping.

Advertisement