Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That ol' reliable mod

• 30-12-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

With so many options for mods out there nowadays it can get bloody confusing, even to the most veteran of vapers. I wonder how many of them are flash in the pan jobbies? How many stand the test of time? I see people buying new mods every odd month, and their older ones get shelved, sold on or become casual back ups. How can you know a mod is really solid unless you use it regular until it dies?

So here's a chance to post that one mod that you must have on you at all times, one you've had a long time [6 months+ seems a 'long time for a mod these days] - shows signs of wear, puff count if available and state any issues you've had with it, if any.

I see people blast the Smok Alien at any given opportunity, and I scratch my head. Maybe they got a dud? or one of the older stock pre-paintwork upgrade [this came with the express kit version] The first one I got, in red, was a kit version bundled with the baby beast tank. That one died after 2 months, the paint was flaking, the LCD was shot and the fire button became a bit loose. So I would agree that Smok's 'QC' is shoddy, at best,. But, when they get it right they really get it right.

So here's my 'old' reliable, the replacement Smok Alien that was sent to me this time last year. They sent a newer Express kit version as I didn't return the tank. This one turned out to be a winner

cLJOJUn.jpg

It's not given me one bit of trouble, the paint has held up reasonably well, in fact it really only started to wear over the past few months. The only issue with this one is the battery door opens at times if the mod is put down hard on a table or falls off the sofa or whatever. This happens with many mods, as anyone with a magnetic door mod will know. The Alien does not have a magnetic door, it's the slide in catch type and it's just become a little worn over time I guess. It'll never open in use.

100% view of the LCD:

JVFDZtP.jpg

34,683 puff count is a pretty healthy number, I've heard of mods fail after 1/4 of that.

This proves the Alien is not a bad mod, it's Smok who are just terrible with their 'quality' control. I'll use this one until it dies as I love the ergonomics, I can grip this any old way and it'll fire with a light squeeze, it sits 25mm tanks flush to the end with a little more space either side and I find battery life decent. I've not had any gaps on the 510 with any of the tanks I've attached to it, this includes the Mage RTA, Herakles 25mm RTA, Cleito original + Cleito 120, OBS Engine, original Velocity RBA and the Baby beast.

Now, show us yours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Mine would kinda be my CKS Asmodus Stride with 45,526 hits on it :)

xeAuBDPFe06mB3TWqQIoda7HHAAuKJdMW3e6rfW1D1bHc32j79EvfHs7cKJ5CFpl5ZzUFauKb_oSVDaEjuwHrmuVLIK9ueY2A_i147vSelJZ_CjZnvlEG-nCyGlUKVB1niBhA9OvpVwt6Tzcrvaa99rEoMq9GSwdHXGPaM_QMYLZIc7wqnuW76rob6G3KNhCxKIo99N9K7m4HLM8TJv89nWJMpTqbvJL-U58MwBqfY6Oyzzy6RYbM7xNlVNuZYXsdcXRh0ooHaHxAIPbFrI7UM4e0CTTxZnbjm04gZC4xGD_NwqoSr9mda3JXe8D0AxS0cp7STaze4Lf-8jj2XoTtBDdvag8g8ACk50L7KesJsirybJjgtj-kgTDarn3NpRwtKv7XFS69-8rq8Rofvz5OIRlokKu1FT0MEhl923popKvB1H9sRe_DtbFd9422laIcqFiSzzlR7MiIX-PFfLZpB1oxyM4USsMA3yLbea6FAxTtFUDSGITsKX_o3o_U18aRXmJUlFpplDRXhSUm0L--Tj3jO06KCGaaThlNdQXx1FwLdC6D0d8z5MWvBD75qalBztObXZELLXN2A1MO2DMnhEeRf9UqrNX4iW2L7A=w737-h982-no

Lasted me the best part of 9 months before the chip started acting up and not reading battery levels correctly. Still works as a mod but never knowing how much battery is left kills it. Can't complain with 45k hits tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Venom wrote: »
    Mine would kinda be my CKS Asmodus Stride with 45,526 hits on it :)

xeAuBDPFe06mB3TWqQIoda7HHAAuKJdMW3e6rfW1D1bHc32j79EvfHs7cKJ5CFpl5ZzUFauKb_oSVDaEjuwHrmuVLIK9ueY2A_i147vSelJZ_CjZnvlEG-nCyGlUKVB1niBhA9OvpVwt6Tzcrvaa99rEoMq9GSwdHXGPaM_QMYLZIc7wqnuW76rob6G3KNhCxKIo99N9K7m4HLM8TJv89nWJMpTqbvJL-U58MwBqfY6Oyzzy6RYbM7xNlVNuZYXsdcXRh0ooHaHxAIPbFrI7UM4e0CTTxZnbjm04gZC4xGD_NwqoSr9mda3JXe8D0AxS0cp7STaze4Lf-8jj2XoTtBDdvag8g8ACk50L7KesJsirybJjgtj-kgTDarn3NpRwtKv7XFS69-8rq8Rofvz5OIRlokKu1FT0MEhl923popKvB1H9sRe_DtbFd9422laIcqFiSzzlR7MiIX-PFfLZpB1oxyM4USsMA3yLbea6FAxTtFUDSGITsKX_o3o_U18aRXmJUlFpplDRXhSUm0L--Tj3jO06KCGaaThlNdQXx1FwLdC6D0d8z5MWvBD75qalBztObXZELLXN2A1MO2DMnhEeRf9UqrNX4iW2L7A=w737-h982-no

Lasted me the best part of 9 months before the chip started acting up and not reading battery levels correctly. Still works as a mod but never knowing how much battery is left kills it. Can't complain with 45k hits tho.

That is some puffing in 9 months! I guess mine would be similar if it was my only mod, it has been my every day, most used, but I was running a Battlestar along side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That is some puffing in 9 months! I guess mine would be similar if it was my only mod, it has been my every day, most used, but I was running a Battlestar along side.

Well I was using it alongside a Coolfire 4 TC + Nautilus Mini as a mint vape but easily 90% of my RTA and RDA vaping was done on the Stride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

http://ibb.co/gBNhcG

Lost vape Triade, constant use for more than a year now, never missed a beat, solid as a rock. Never leave home without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

My Sbody Legend 75. Only had it about 2 months, but already 10,000 hits on it and still like brand new. (have another one on the way in blue)

Other than that, my trusty Istick Pico's. Well over a year old and still like new apart from a few scuffs from dropping etc. As you can see by my Sbody use, I'm pretty hard on mods. I am practically vaping all day everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

I'm vaping only months but never leave home without the Zelos. This goes everywhere with me. Of the other mods I have I love the Minikin2. Once you get the hang of the touch screen its a lovely mod to use. I did order a Christmas present for myself and have the lost vape paranormal DNA 75c on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

iStick Pico w/ArcticFox
    16 months
    30330 puffs
    Tough little bugger.

WjtMgrV.jpg

My Sbody Legend 75. Only had it about 2 months, but already 10,000

Horry sheeet! :eek:

I'm a fairly hefty vaper, or so I get told even by other more casual vapers,. but if you clocked 10K on that one mod in 2 months [aprox 330 puffs per day] on top of other mods you use ... you got me well beaten :D What mg are you on? I know you like to MTL so that might be the key here, I only ever do sub ohm, big fat direct lung hits, 3mg, usually in around 0.3 ohm, 40w or so

I use 6mg. Funny thing is now I'm using the berserker tanks, 4.5ml of juice lasts me all day. I guess it's probably down to the short 2/2.5 length draw I take.

Just to add, I bought a shed load of new gear the last 2 to 3 months, but the Sbody feels so good in the hand I find myself using it almost exclusively.

When I was MTL only I was using 12mg regular, and often used 18-24mg, but ... the coils were 1.8 at the lower end up to 3.2ohm, and the tanks were muck, if you didn't use high strength back then you got little to no TH. I remember one juice from House of liquid that was only available in 32mg :eek: imagine that now?? be used for DIY only. Thank God things have improved over the years, and even 6mg seems high!

The first DL tank I bought was the Atlantis, and I dropped to 6mg, didn't take me long to figure I could easily drop again and get as much of a hit

• Advertisement

I'm a fairly hefty vaper, or so I get told even by other more casual vapers,. but if you clocked 10K on that one mod in 2 months [aprox 330 puffs per day] on top of other mods you use ... you got me well beaten :D What mg are you on? I know you like to MTL so that might be the key here, I only ever do sub ohm, big fat direct lung hits, 3mg, usually in around 0.3 ohm, 40w or so

I just double checked and the Sbody was delivered to me on the 25th of November. so yeah, that 10,000 is mighty excessive for sure lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭leche solara

It's not as much puffing as you think. You've got your sums wrong. 10,000 in 2 months is only about 166 puffs per day.

It's not as much puffing as you think. You've got your sums wrong. 10,000 in 2 months is only about 166 puffs per day.

I never was good at maths :D Still a lot considering it's not his only mod and you're still calculating 24hr days, I'm sure he sleeps a fair chunk of that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm mostly mtl vaping, I have a few eleaf istick 30w mods in use for the last couple of years and they are great. Long battery life, small, light, easy to use and showing very little signs of wear.

Have silver smok alien as well that's been going grand for the last year. Keep reading worrying reports about them spontaneously combusting though :eek:

Have silver smok alien as well that's been going grand for the last year. Keep reading worrying reports about them spontaneously combusting though :eek:

Where are you reading this? The Alien has plenty of safety features built in, it'll cut out if the temp rises too high, it'll not react at all if you put the batteries in wrong, it can be charged safely via usb as it has balanced charging to ensure both batteries get equal power etc ...

I can't see how it's possible for one to 'combust' - unless these people are using really ****ty batteries. Use decent batteries and you'll never have a problem.

The batteries on this chart are what you need to stick to for just about any mod:

11d856791fbfd070b1e9e35e8dda704d.jpg

Also keep your batteries paired or as some say 'married' so the same 2 are always together. I use a pair of Sony VTC 5 but also have 2 pair of Samsung 25R, I have them re-wrapped and marked and they live in plastic battery cases when not in use. This way I know which ones need to stick together no matter what mod they go into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm using Samsung 25R and no problems with them. If you search smok alien on reddit you'll find a lot of negative reports about it. Stuff like this stands out. Like I said I've not had any problems, just slightly worried

I'm using Samsung 25R and no problems with them. If you search smok alien on reddit you'll find a lot of negative reports about it. Stuff like this stands out. Like I said I've not had any problems, just slightly worried

reddit is a sesspool, you could find negativity on just about anything on there if you look hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

has never let me down in 3+ years. (have a spare one also) Cloupor mini+
    R2n1w7I8Ch3xd6yUYrDdo2Obor3ec4LokgfDfY6CabDkhkqLypD-8r3mOpCEzbEFbRY5rNDfzTCiFV1Ejxtjo_V0nzy3M1FbLGwQVc8rufXU_MuC2v8tq0YVDdQHJ9MOmS-kvNcKTKA04iLU3iQBVxqvXJu7BcrIFeO-9zYCeeo6ze3Kl7BOlyLyiSVwOJDETXXrdL4sQEFVutZWfHOrbF1-NKuc_q0eQVAOaa31YjBZh2dSbBVoK9BfDr5XQiMS9KSrGEZ4I6gVqBBa2vR_9v7WeqMX9KfQdwdmREe-fhqbP1yPJFT5lZTL-CBQrkN3z8Uv-_aYmolnZeHDkGDSTmyR7t82w3uG69BIoZ6IPzrgvxwqR_fxLSDi-DoztmcCZ86JBTtj3xz7XvrVguGzJReXAfPzHD1rRIvxCnduYxdX3V8Ruiicp17g9EyD-kIzXLm-paRktpTmsxc0IBjJw1HAueDm_XWDXsJ3DYAe9RA9IyKbRjJYQifk2hC5SMAQ49p_dbkwFJEXn1PkTP3Iz5Pn_M0II7R5rdAoZL-8pJ0A_rTm3wqd5ZvwtzGLLCLGQHxgD2tdWWtNgYvTb_i13yDyKnR4MTOj-Z1Tijzv=w1398-h1048-no

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

I bought my Cool Fire IV a little over a year ago. Since then I have dropped it, kicked it, lost it, you name it and it's still working 100%. The battery life has shortened a decent amount since I first bought it, however it's still a beast!

I go through tanks like there is no tomorrow thou :( still looking for the perfect tank!

gSZYg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

I go through tanks like there is no tomorrow thou :( still looking for the perfect tank!

gSZYg

Good luck with that ..................get back to us if you have any success

• Advertisement

To date the best tank I have bought is the OBS Engine, I didn't even buy it new - bought used [like new] from Dr. Bill, must be over a year ago now? It's the simplest tank I've ever built on too, very beginner friendly. I've had better flavour from tanks, but as an all-rounder, it's better than most. It's one of the rare ones that you can re-wick without having to empty which is bloody great! Just turn it upsidedown, unscrew the base, which is the whole deck, your juice stays in the tank without any leaks - the deck is as basic as you like, 2 post velocity style with wick holes you barely dip the cotton through - done.

If you've never tried one, just spend €20, you won't reget

Actually, it's not even €20 atm, €17 on GB: https://www.gearbest.com/rebuildable-atomizers/pp_426548.html
    €16 for the silver: https://www.gearbest.com/rebuildable-atomizers/pp_426549.html?wid=21

There's gold too, for just shy of €21, which is a nice option if you have any gold mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

what's the drip tip like on that cagey?

best tank (for me) has been the goblin v3 mini. the serpent mini is a close second but the goblin can have two coils or one. sometimes you just find something that's easily to build on, easy to wick and gives good flavour. there's not much point buying new tanks after you find something that works for you

chipfox wrote: »
    what's the drip tip like on that cagey?

best tank (for me) has been the goblin v3 mini. the serpent mini is a close second but the goblin can have two coils or one. sometimes you just find something that's easily to build on, easy to wick and gives good flavour. there's not much point buying new tanks after you find something that works for you

It's just plain delrin, narrows toward the top. It pops out without fuss leaving a flat standard drip tip port, you can use whatever you fancy then. I'm still using the original, I find it grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

Had a Pico that I bought in June 2016, paired with LG HG2's, and it only broke this week - the top started separating from the body. It was still working, but I wouldn't use a damaged body. It's been everywhere with me and was battered to bits, but it chugged away and never let me down

My replacement? A new Pico....

For tanks, I mainly use a Nautilus X with Pockex coils (mtl), but I like my GS Air MS too. I've had a few others, but never really took to them.

Advertisement