Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are Nurses so highly praised?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I had numerous illness throughout my 20’s. I spent a fair bit of time in a few hospitals back then.

Take my word for it, nurses are unbelievable. They have to put up with so much ****.

They are angels.

I’ll tell you a little story. One of the times I was ill, I had to go up to Dublin to see a surgeon. I spent my first few hours on the ground floor, where I met this particular nurse. She kept coming over to me to check on, make sure I ok as I was there on my own.
    Anyway, they thought I had the MRSA bug (whatever it’s called) because my infection was so bad. They moved me up to another floor where there was only two other patients who both had the bug.

That nurse came up to visit me everyday when her shift ended. She sat with me for an hour so I wouldn’t be lonely.

I will never ever forget that lady or the other women that did so much for me back then.

They are amazing women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Nurses are held in such high regard in Ireland and are consistently being praised, especially by the media.

The starting salary does seem quite low but like any job, it increases over time to what is a decent wage. Not to mention the pension.

I have no doubt that it can be tough work but aren't most jobs these days - am I missing something? Please explain.

I'll just leave this here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

That is sad to hear. I would write to the hospital and tell them of your experience if I were you.

I nearly lost my father last year but thankfully he pulled through after treatment in a public hospital.

My mother was so thankful for the care and respect he was shown continually, she left a card and gift at the nurses station when he was being discharged.

Galway University Hospital, fwiw.

I wrote the first time and it wasn’t even a complaining letter to be fair.
    I tried to convey that I understood the effects of the over crowding and the trolleys, but sitting for long periods at my mothers bedside listening to other patients calling pitiably over and over for the nurse when the crowded nurses station was in my eyeline left me scared.
    She received no personal care, no comforting words, no one asked her how she was.
    I must say here that she was a nurse herself and we were reared on stories of how hard nursing is so we would have had a real respect and admiration of nurses.
    I also know that there are many excellent nurses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Help me understand, please. That's why I started this thread.

Maybe if you are asking this question then you can't be helped ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Nurses are amazing, in my experiences they are so caring, professional, smart and give you the best care.

The nurses involved with the births of my two kids and also went one of them spent a few nights in hospital were unbelievable. They are on the ball and you just know you are gettign the best you can.

I’ve seen them work with people in life or death situations and I honestly don’t know how they do it. Many people owe their lives to them and I know a few of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I've been in the face of many, many nurses over the years. Without going in to detail, suffice to say I will always be eternally grateful to each and every one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

fando wrote: »
    Everyone knows that nurses and Gardai enter their vocation for the love for humanity and nothing else. They are practically saints.

There is an illusion that Gardai and Nurses are the working poor but they are very much middle class. Most of the younger nurses I know do lots of agency work and overtime, bringing their salaries to well beyond the average for their age. The more experienced nurses tend to move into 9-5 managerial roles. So the majority of nurse's wages could be in the region of 40-70k, above the average industrial wage and often higher than other health professionals like Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Psychologists etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Dunno why this should even be under discussion but it's the usual click bait type threads you get in after hours involving some professions. They absolutely deserve every bit of praise and credit which they receive but don't look for.

Thankfully I've never had to observe nurses in action except for when the kids were born and I have nothing but the highest regard for them based on that alone. Compared to a lot of overpaid workers out there, they deserve every cent they get and more.

Cannot understand how anyone can assume that there are tougher jobs out there. How are you describing tough? An overly demanding client who feels justified in making unreasonable demands because of the extortionate fees they are charged which goes towards your substantial wages, for example? I would guess that a tough day for a nurse, or anyone else in the medical profession, can involve caring for someone who has died. That's tough and very hard not to bring home with you....unlike say, a bad day with a client.

I always ask myself before I judge another person's job negatively, "could I do their job for what they are paid?" For nurses, the answer is definitely no and probably more like that you couldn't pay me enough to go through what they go through in a typical working week so I wouldn't begrudge them any bit of praise they get. Their job matters a hell of a lot more than my job and a lot of others. It's literally life and death they deal with and not a lot can say that.

Just my take on it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Like all jobs, you'll find good and bad.
    The good are just that - good. The bad should be fired. But who does that in our health service:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Nurses are held in such high regard in Ireland and are consistently being praised, especially by the media.

The starting salary does seem quite low but like any job, it increases over time to what is a decent wage. Not to mention the pension.

I have no doubt that it can be tough work but aren't most jobs these days - am I missing something? Please explain.

They are the biz when you get one in coppers up for a bit of sexy fun. Even better if they bring you home and they put the uniform on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thank you all for the replies and sharing your experiences with nurses in general.

I think It is apparent now that I just haven't experienced their care first hand for a prolonged period etc. to fully get a view of how hard they work and what they do on a daily basis - but reading your replies makes it clear that they deserve the praise they receive.

I have received my answer, again thank you all for taking the time to reply

Mod note:Seeing as the OP has their question answered, I think it's time to wrap up this thread before it descends into a public service bashing thread.

Thanks to all for their contributions.

Buford T. Justice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement