Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty and repairs on lenses

Options
  • 30-12-2017 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Going to purchase my first Canon EF-S DSLR with a kit lens this week. Decided to get it in one of the bricks and mortar stores in Dublin. Main reason is 2yr warranty on the body as shipping it back to one of the grey market sellers might be a pain in the rear for a €1k investment.

However when it comes to extra lenses I can’t see the real value - and I would guess it would be rare for them to fail within 2yrs. From reading various threads here it seems the local repair centres (post warranty) are unreliable - very mixed feedback here and the best thing to is to send to Canon UK. Repair costs for EF-S lenses are between £78-156.50 (https://www.canon.co.uk/images/UK%20RCC%20Service%20Costs_tcm14-1174182.pdf) - add shipping onto that and it would be cheaper to just replace on the grey market. I guess if you were a Pro and needed a lens for your work then a local shop would sort you out with a loan or if it was an L lens then it might be worthwhile.

E.g the EF-S 55-240mm retails for ~€350 here and €135 on E-Infinity. Simply cheaper to buy a new one then to send back to Canon UK, which also might be awkward post Brexit.

Maybe I’m missing something but stuggling to see the benefit for sub €500 lenses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

EF-S is the toy segment in Canons eyes. The repairs process is there for the 2K glass primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

A read from Dustin Abbots blog that Tamron Canada now offer a 10yr warranty on all lenses purchased there. If Canon offered a 5yr warranty on lenses then it might be worthwhile purchasing local. (I see Tamron offer 5yr in Europe).

Advertisement